20180414_194735.thumb.jpg.473e8eb40c41afb0d9a1000210c76e26.jpg

I got the (old) Necron "Start Collecting!" box and finally got everything put together. Time to start painting...

(There is actually some assembly left to do, but I'm waiting for some magnets. Those are a few weeks out still but I figured I'd get most of the painting done in the meantime and just touch up whatever bits need touched up.)

• Like 16

Awesome!

I love Undead and these are the 40K Undead!

Looking forward to see them painted!

• Like 2

Did a test paint on a Necron Warrior before starting the batch painting. Looks reasonable to me... If anyone has suggestions for ways to improve it without spending a whole bunch of time, let me know. ::):

20180415_100847.thumb.jpg.09ac878a41c9c535f7b6c8c915d3385b.jpg20180415_100833.thumb.jpg.d54e7826a977a741da30a3d7549d62e5.jpg

• Like 13

Looks great, doesn't need anything extra IMHO.

Maybe a Leader could get some gold into his metal to show his status.

• Like 3

It is WONDERFUL seeing you painting again. Have FUN  with the Schwarzeneggerish Fellows!

• Like 4

Figured I'd do a step-by-step of how I'm painting these in case it's useful to anyone... Would be helpful if I'd remembered to take pictures earlier in the process. :rolleyes:

To start, the entire body of the Warrior gets a solid coat of Blackened Steel. It sometimes takes a second coat to get it smooth. Then I paint the breastbone solid black, though it rarely ends up being truly black on the first coat - which is perfect. Next I put a coat of Dragon Green on the power hose of the gun, and gently brush it onto the raised parts of the breastbone symbol. It generally takes 2-3 coats to get those reasonably smooth. After that, I generously slather the body with Citadel Nuln Oil, a black wash. And that brings us to where I've gotten with this figure:

20180415_180512.thumb.jpg.261a16740f6e6a2e758690ca5acf5ff7.jpg

Next up: edging the power coils on the gun (I'm just making up names for things now), picking out the edges on the gun, and starting on the highlights. That'll probably have to wait until later in the week though - maybe even into next weekend. 

• Like 9

Got in a bit more hobby time tonight after all! So I guess y'all get one more update.

Next step for me was to paint the power coil and the corrugated hose on the weapon. I just wanted to edge them a bit, so I mixed about equal parts Dragon Green and Blackened Steel and basically drybrushed those areas. After finishing I realised that it would have been smarter to do this earlier and get this with Nuln Oil too, and I considered going back and doing that now but decided to be lazy. So this is what I get:

20180415_193505.thumb.jpg.b7095e623795350bdf897d9705aca32b.jpg

And then I hit the edges of the weapon with Blackened Steel, and tried to put just a wee bit of a highlight of Blackened Steel on the curved bits. It's not super strong but it makes the weapon look less flat:

20180415_200604.thumb.jpg.e50febe5ed19604981ae790cb2b3f288.jpg

Not exactly massive changes from earlier but a bit of nice extra detail that makes the figure come to life a little better in the end.

• Like 10

I have a feeling these guys cannot be reasoned with.

*** We surrender!***

ZAP!

*** Does not compute***

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have a feeling these guys cannot be reasoned with.

*** We surrender!***

ZAP!

*** Does not compute***

They do, however, seem the type that would listen to Megadeth, what with the whole take no prisoners kind of thing.... 

• Haha 2

Nice work. I have a couple of Necrons on the go. But most of these are eBay purchases that need a bit of smartening up. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2018 at 8:22 PM, canuckotter said:

20180414_194735.thumb.jpg.473e8eb40c41afb0d9a1000210c76e26.jpg

I got the (old) Necron "Start Collecting!" box and finally got everything put together. Time to start painting...

(There is actually some assembly left to do, but I'm waiting for some magnets. Those are a few weeks out still but I figured I'd get most of the painting done in the meantime and just touch up whatever bits need touched up.)

"Old" heh...

You're off to a good start. What's your plan for their bases?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crowley said:

"Old" heh...

... plan?

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Crowley said:

"Old" heh...

It's what, last year's model? :p  I ha e a few battle forces myself, but I kind of like the mix the new ones have, and how they're cheaper. 

30 minutes ago, canuckotter said:

... plan?

Whoooooooo, someone else who's pretty much the same way I am (aka no real plans up front).  Basic idea (in this case, paint necrons).  Step 2, no idea but I think paint is involved, maybe a few other things too.  Step 3 hey look they're painted! ^_^

• Haha 2