1 hour ago, canuckotter said:
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

"Old" heh...

You're off to a good start. What's your plan for their bases?

... plan?

:lol:

Well, you can always keep it simple and just go with red martian sand...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That would look pretty good, I think.

Great work so far!:winkthumbs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bit more painting tonight, just bringing up the green. There are three bits I hit: the power hose, the glowing symbol on the chest, and the eyes.

For each, the base colour is Dragon Green, then I go up to Viper Green, then about a 50/50 mix of Viper Green and Dungeon Slime. For the last few, like this guy, I didn't bother with the mid colour on the eyes.

Simple step, but it's one step closer to being done. ::):

20180417_221627.thumb.jpg.ddf6e1152e476a258c5bd6b554b54d72.jpg

• Like 12

Finished them off!

First, I went back over the body and redid most of it with Blackened Steel again to start bringing it up. It's subtle - actually, all these steps are subtle enough that it can feel kinda pointless, but they do add up to something good in the end. The figure on the right has had the Blackened Steel applied.

20180424_225355.thumb.jpg.5c317470e4d25cb7230cbed7f49355b9.jpg

Next, I put Tarnished Steel on, this time starting to pay real attention to highlights. Then I applied brighter highlights with Honed Steel. I could have gone even brighter in a few spots but this is about as much work as I want to put into these figures. :;): In this picture, the final highlighting has been done on the figure on the left, while the one on the right has only had the Blackened Steel put back on.

20180424_225137.thumb.jpg.7078b67ab87b2039d1df67eaa0b216de.jpg

After that, I just glued the rods in place, and it was time for a group photo!

20180424_224556.thumb.jpg.79d6dcd10085ba0fb3383031625b22eb.jpg

Ta-da! Necron Warriors! Simple and easy, they look reasonably shiny and imposing, and they're certainly ready for use in a game! The blends are a bit rough, as is the metallic highlighting in a few places, but they're fine for tabletop use.

Next up, I think I'm going to tackle their Overlord.

• Like 14

Looking good! 

Are you waiting till they're all done to base, or just procrastinating?

When I'm doing up the figures from Forgebane I plan to do some actual planning so they can have decent bases... Once I figure that out, I'm going to come back to these guys and figure out how to get their bases to match the same basic theme.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, canuckotter said:

Next up, I think I'm going to tackle their Overlord.

I would advice caution!

The Overlord might get aggressive if you tackle him..

• Haha 2

I forgot that I had some scarabs to do! And I wasn't feeling up to really complicated painting tonight, so those got pulled out. Same basic recipe as the Warriors so far. First step: Blackened Steel, with a wash of Nuln Oil. The shiny one near the camera hasn't had the wash applied yet.

20180425_202500.thumb.jpg.c6de2074feea6728ef5a03eec1f11e28.jpg

The other ones are much shinier in person than they look in the picture, though yes, they are pretty dark with that wash on. That's ok, we're going to bring the shine back up shortly. But first I'm going to try some green glowy bits. ::):

• Like 8

Ok, doing these quick and lazy... Just painted in the lines with a tiny brush (Atlas Brush Co size 3/0) using Viper Green. Then the eye orb thingie got Viper Green, then a mix of Viper Green and Dungeon Slime. If I were a better painter I'd try for some OSL to show the glow from the green bits but I don't want to spend a month painting these things. ::):

Now to go back and fix the metallic bits... 

20180425_212726.jpg

• Like 8

Yet another update! Blackened Steel on some parts, and a mixture of Blackened Steel and Pure Black on the carapace plates. In retrospect I'm not sure the Nuln Oil did much good... Maybe between the legs, and around the eye... Anyway. Subtle difference but it's enough to notice in person, and it'll be a lot more obvious when I start highlighting.

20180425_223122.thumb.jpg.01bcb2d1fb20a56c43d9f2360bd48d11.jpg

• Like 9

Two more quick steps and I'm done these critters. First I put some Tarnished Steel on the shiny metal bits:

20180427_091015.thumb.jpg.a7b6ec84d7bd9149c373d20ee13f4798.jpg

Then I hit the high spots with a bit of True Silver. It's not a huge, obvious difference, especially in the photos, but all the little things add up. I also went back and grabbed a bit of the black+blackened steel mixture and put a bit of a line just above the little raised nubbies on the legs... It's faint, but again, makes a difference. And now I'm done with this lot.

20180426_224801.thumb.jpg.966f64e64e19c53547378b8277f1133a.jpg

(At least until I figure out what to do with the bases...)

• Like 6

Two more quick steps and I'm done these critters. First I put some Tarnished Steel on the shiny metal bits:

20180427_091015.thumb.jpg.a7b6ec84d7bd9149c373d20ee13f4798.jpg

Then I hit the high spots with a bit of True Silver. It's not a huge, obvious difference, especially in the photos, but all the little things add up. I also went back and grabbed a bit of the black+blackened steel mixture and put a bit of a line just above the little raised nubbies on the legs... It's faint, but again, makes a difference. And now I'm done with this lot.

20180426_224801.thumb.jpg.966f64e64e19c53547378b8277f1133a.jpg

(At least until I figure out what to do with the bases...)

• Like 4