It's hard to have a desert planet without a sand worm ... but after buying a load of Kulathi and hounds of Tindalos my stash of doubloons are stretched thin so I turned to GM Scotty and his youtube channel "theDMsCraft" (two tentacles up) for a cost effective option ... after viewing his techniques in video #74 DIY purple worm cheap and easy and his video #129 how to make the watcher in the water from LotR ... I'm ready to start crafting ...

Started with a basic TP tube frame and a lil hot glue ... followed with a paper towel and white glue wrap, not all at once as I did not want it to melt into mush, I covered no more than half, spread out, and let dry (the hard part) before applying the next layer , with a few hot glue bridges to help round things out ...

At the same time I started twisting up the tentacles,  then reinforced them with hot glue, as well as shaping and reinforcing the teeth ... glued body to a base to match my Kuden terrain set (could have used cardboard as I made sure it was balanced naturally) then hot glued on teeth cut tenticals to mount at nice angles and ready for next step ...

WormOne.jpg

WormTwo.jpg

WormSide.jpg

WormScale.jpg

• Like 16

More smothing of the tentacles and addition of the beak ... starting to come together ... other than basing the building phase is over and it's on to the spackle skim coat with wet fingers to give a slick finnish.

WormBeakBack.jpg

WormMawl.jpg

• Like 10

I've scratchbuilt critters before, but I can't say your use of materials ever occurred to me.

That being said, this is GREAT! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

• Like 2

The next step will use vinyl spackle ... the slickest of spackles if followed work with water dipped wet fingers ... first coat drying at the moment ...vinyl spackle is also the most flexible spackle I have used to date ...

As for use of materials ... first let me repeat that DM Scotty is a master of low cost manufacturer and painting techniques with over 500 youtube videos on the subject ... add to this I have over 10 years building and over 10 years maintenance on real world structures ... I'll add a tip or two that most modelers / gamers never knew was out there from time to time and try to explain it best I can ... I consider it fair traid for seeing awsome sculptures and painting I'll never be able to equal ... we each bring our own talent to the mix.

Your only limits are your own.

P.S. it's been more than once I picked up a trick or two from the hobby community and carried it to the real world to solve a problem or two ... it's a two way street ... 

Worm1stSmooth.jpg

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 9

So my sheet rock patching rule of thumb is coming back to haunt me ... your base coat will set your end coat ... so true ...

I'm still smoothing out the humps, I went through this before and forgot ... your base sets all that follows ... negative space is easy to fill but positive space is a monster to overcome  ... start well end easy  ... start rough and its all up hill ... 

3 thin coats of vinyl spackle followed by wet finger rub downs and I'm still working out the last few humps ...

WormBumps.jpg

• Like 8

Wow, that looks fantastic! Really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

I never thought of using spackling to smooth out the surface, excellent idea.

DM Scotty has been a big inspiration on me as well. I have built my own version of the Purple Worm and have it primed for painting. I am trying to decide if I want to go with the purple color scheme or not as I also veered away from the traditional design.

Your tube/frame construction is very nice too.

I cut my tubes approx. every 1/4" leaving a 1/4" spine this allowed me to achieve the compound curve fairly smoothly.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the construction phase.

• Like 1

Yeah smaller sections would smooth out the angles some as would cleaner joints ... you can see a few after the fact bridges to help blend the bumps ... it's been a wile so I just jumped in , sometimes you gotta go with the inspiration and work it out ... next is the hard part , painting.

I know how I'm going to do the base but I'm not sure how I'm going to paint the worm ... the tenticals I'm thinking raspy texture with purple wash on flesh tone , many metalic teeth, maybe ... and a tan to worm grey body but it's kinda large for one solid color and I'm a terrible painter ... any suggestions? 

Edited by Boaz

Are you planning to do any texturing on the body or leave it smooth?

I would look at a lot of pictures of actual worms, grubs, eels, caterpillars and snakes as a source of inspiration.

Of course there's always Graboids too! :D

Totally forgot the Graboid ... but thats real close ... snake or worm and I would have worked a little texture into the top coat (and with the vinyl spackle I can still carve it in) however I'm leaning towards a motte tan skin, probably smooth with glossy / slimy tenticals & teeth ... 

P.S. a lil luven with the sanding sponge and he is almost their ... a little work on the base and could get a base coat soon ... but not much time today ...

Edited by Boaz

First touch of paint ... WormSmooth.thumb.jpg.42976b1e074d9d236105787b962d7a2c.jpg

Have a good feeling about him ... not sure on gum color yet, tentacles probably flesh washed with purple but fairing into what for the gums ... and teeth , metallic ?  Crystal ? ... 

Any way ... vision of things to come ...

WormAttack.thumb.jpg.004322ff553ab85a1e7870f7f190afa5.jpg

• Like 8

This is a heck of a monster you've made ::D:

• Like 1

At this rate he might cost me ... maybe 5 bucks in material and paint ... maybe.

And he just fits so well into the Kuden eco system ... as will his lazy cousin , more on him laters.

• Like 1