Sign in to follow this  
Boaz

Kuden Sandworm

Reinforced the tentacles bases by brushing on some white glue ... will add another coat or two reinforcement as I work on the base ... first stem drying ... next two tonight after work ...

WormBaseFront.thumb.jpg.ee4ffe905ae5f624123591f35030a0d0.jpg

Just like the tentacles it's paper towel ,water and white glue  ...WormBaseBsck.thumb.jpg.5346d1d594c114ddb6554f86871d4e2a.jpg

The two ends joined nicely ... tonight I'll hit it with the hot glue around the outside and rub it over the too then start in with the flexall top coat.

• Like 5

Hit the base with a gob of reinforcing hot glue then gooped on some flexall ... think I'm going to add more to center to shallow out the angle on the inside of his hole... 

Also ran some test color to help 'see the lines' ...

WormBaseStart.thumb.jpg.82c3fd6e6864587aec8a43ea99181619.jpg

Still not sure witch way to go with the skin tone ... maybe a fine rough ... DanH had some good food for thought ... 

For scale ...

WormSuprize.thumb.jpg.d5728ee39b9eadf7d9eb620328ee20d9.jpg

Building was the easy part ... now I have to paint it ...

• Like 5

So still waiting on the last coat on the base to dry ... I'm mostly not as happy with the newer flexall and wish I had used a high density spackle or try ed out plumbers putty but its done and still drying ... so plated with paints a one ... theory is, keep painting till something looks right , then keep painting the rest till it matchs ...20180421_212846-1.thumb.jpg.88b7fc6dbb0fb9c8d4cf2f8a3454e470.jpg

WormMaw_2.thumb.jpg.94ec11d4d14d11e88bdc9bbab13088d3.jpg

Not sure how I feel about green ... might give it a purple wash before trying another color on the teeth.

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 5

I was not sure about the green but gave it a wash anyway ...

WormMaw_3.thumb.jpg.99dc7636e3964211a9f97b0c523cf07b.jpg

I kinda like it ... kinda ...

• Like 5

The base is finally dry enough to move forward with masking the maw and top coating the skin ... getting close ...

WormCoatFront.thumb.jpg.2b6d5ff3558f70f3660a2a86b7607348.jpgWormCoatBack.thumb.jpg.c89259a91e8debf9936246f3e1d53c0e.jpg

Once cured I'll paint the base Kuden brown ... A gloss finish then flat mate for the skin ... and base to match Kuden.

WormKuden.thumb.jpg.5c2c6e2708d8ef7e9dff07e3586e97e9.jpg

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 7

If you followed along you saw what I did to get here ... if / when I do it again this is what I'd do differently ...

To start, smaller starting tube sections, and smoother conections ...

Take more time with the tentacles before assembly,  smooth them out more ...

Spend more time between tooth & tentacle and mounting the lips ... once the lips went on getting to the gums was next to impossible without a shrink ray ...

And finally I think I'd use cardboard to build up the base to make things stronger and faster ...

A few other points are builders choice, I wanted lumpy globy tentacles and scraggly teeth to test a slimy finnish, cleaner smoother finnish would work with more looks but the first glue gun and soggy towel project in close to two years, I cut a few corners ... I think it will turn out ok for the table top ...

If anyone wants to add suggestions,  comments, observations, recommendations, or any other big fancy word for tossed in your 2 cents ... the floor is open ... please do.

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 1

Almost thar ... I'll pick up some gloss finish for the maw and flat for the body after work tomarrow ...

WormOfKuden.thumb.jpg.55fa4732c771fc2092aab6c31dac45f8.jpg

• Like 6