Thrym

Thrym's New Web Development Business (formerly His Tough Decision Day)

Not knowing anything about where you live, if you're looking for an "office" to go to there are starting to be more temporary work spaces available and public libraries often have study rooms that you can use.  I expect you can find a better situation either employed elsewhere or doing freelance, the fact that your boss never hired anyone else to help likely indicates high demand in your field.  

Best of luck, and I hope you recover from your toxic work relationship ASAP.  Maybe a nice signing bonus and a week on a beach.  :;): 

• Like 8

How about "Foothold Digital.....helping secure your digital footprint for the future" or something similar?  Playing up the part of the foothold being a secure position, kind of thing.

• Like 8

Thrym, although the time limit has passed on when you must give your decision, your situation is such that I felt another voice should respond.

There's a rule to live by when you have to fire someone:  If you had the opportunity to hire this person today, would you?  If the answer is no, then you best allow that person to move on to the next job.

A corollary question is:  If you were offered this job today, would you take it?  If not, it's time to move on.

Most likely, once you let go of this, you'll find yourself a new and likely better position, even if you have to make it yourself. 

• Like 10

Well, the job is now Former Lead Developer.  I informed him that I am moving on.  Amusingly I got in reply:

"Ok.  Best of luck.  I'll help if you need me."

Which I find somewhat interesting.  But only in the ... I don't want to really piss off Thom so he'll tell me where everything is and how to access it ... way.

I also popped in and grabbed some more of my stuff.  I'll be going back tomorrow evening to move my stuff into storage that isn't easily moved home.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

How about "Foothold Digital.....helping secure your digital footprint for the future" or something similar?  Playing up the part of the foothold being a secure position, kind of thing.

I like that, though I changed it a smidge.

"Helping assure your digital footprint"

• Like 11

Wishing you the very best of luck.

Not that you will need it, being a good worker and principled will bring their own rewards.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I will suggest that you write a GOOD handover document and have it delivered to your boss, signed for  and all.

(feel free to also send it to other people in the company, if you think it will do any good...   I assume your boss will just toss it in a desk drawer or the round filing cabinet)

In that document you need to put down everything you know about the systems, that the poor schmuck taking over for you need to know. 

Everything.

It also MUST include any account you have had access to. With passwords, if you have it. And a note that these MUST be disabled or changed soonest.

Any support contracts the company is paying for, yearly license deals, or internet servies you pay for should also be listed if you've had anything to do with at all, or suspect that they exist, but that the previous Sysadmin never documented.  

The one thing it should NOT list is your private email or phone numbers. 

Keep a copy of the document, together with the returned signature in case of issues. 

This is for CYA reasons.

Unless you send this your ex-boss will probably blame you when the company goes under. 

Actually, he probably will anyway, but with the document, you can show that you did a 'good faith' attempt to make the transition as smooth as possible, and that any issues that developed was not your fault.   

^^ this

Best of success. I know it want a fun or easy decision, but it sounds like you're taking the right steps!

• Like 7

LMAO

So, at the old job we have a client in Boston & Pawtucket (9 hours to the East of where we are) that is an international business.

This client was in the process of redesigning their many faceted organization's websites into one website.  They buy a new company every other year or so and integrate into their outfit.  They deal in coatings: from acrylics, urethanes, silicones, synthetic rubber, resin and more; that will cover electronics, pipelines, tracer wires, paper, concrete, bridges, and many other applications.

Imagine 10 websites combining into one mega website with a third-party marketing company designing, a fussy board, an internal marketing person, and two Information Technology people all working toward getting this website to ... me.

Corporation methodology was in play.  Lots of Skype meetings to say the same thing over and over.  Delays galore.

Well, I received a copy of this website from the 3rd Party last Tuesday to install on the server we maintain.  I installed it after overcoming the issues that came with it.

Evaluated the website and reported to my main contact person and two other people at the client's office.  The website was severely lacking when it was supposed to be done.  I had already blown like 2-3 hours on getting it setup "locally" and the 3rd Party comes back with ... "Oh yeah, we didn't turn over the finished site.  We turned over a test site until we get the second payment."

The next day ... I am scheduled to have a conference call at 2:30 and my boss and I blow up at 11:30-45 or so.  The client doesn't hear from me for the rest of the week or weekend.  Naturally, I don't work there anymore.  My old boss apparently hasn't talked to them either even though he is forwarding my company e-mail to himself.

So today ... he sends me a text about some other tidbits about clearing out and such.  Then asks me about the client ...

image.png.efe847a44dcd966408a1dfed3ec1ba26.png

To put this in context ... he is worried that he will lose these guys all together and knows that I can keep their business for the day-to-day updates, etc. and he can keep the hosting.  They have their own cloud server with us.

I find the whole thing amusing and annoying at the same time.

Mainly because he knows that I can steal any and maybe all of his web development work away from him because they like me not the company.

• Like 17

I've put together a temp business site with the logo and slogan as well as a contact form.

http://footholddigital.com/

My contact from the Boston company got back to me and congratulated me.  Which was kind of weird.  I assume he meant it on the formation of FD and not because I was dismissed by FL1.  Though that is semi-amusing to consider fully.

I will be talking to him in the morning, assuming I get to sleep tonight.  LOL

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Thrym said:

I've put together a temp business site with the logo and slogan as well as a contact form.

http://footholddigital.com/

My contact from the Boston company got back to me and congratulated me.  Which was kind of weird.  I assume he meant it on the formation of FD and not because I was dismissed by FL1.  Though that is semi-amusing to consider fully.

I will be talking to him in the morning, assuming I get to sleep tonight.  LOL

First off, congrats on the new company. Second off, it might be an all around Congrats from this guy as it certainly sounds as though you are going to be a lot happier now, even if your exit wasn't exactly planned or as planned. It would not be surprising if your old contact was able to surmise the nature of the work environment there.

In any event, congratulations as I said on the big move. I'm sure there will be nervous moments but it sounds as though you will be much happier in the long run!

• Like 5

On 4/15/2018 at 4:09 PM, ub3r_n3rd said:

Move on. You’re awesome at what you do. I’d like to see you be able to become your own boss. To that end, the webpage you helped me create and maintain will be going wherever you go. 

It's way after decision time, but I'm with Ub3r. It sounds like you have a lot of experience in an in-demand field. You should not have to put up with that kind of abuse.

Switching to a new position can be scary, especially if you have to be out of work while you search. If life circumstances mean you can't afford the time to look right now, then I sympathize, and understand that you might have to stay, but (hopefully) you can find something much better for yourself in the long run.

• Like 8

An old webcomic, but I think you will find the strips involving Warren's job pertain. (The author is a nerd - he color coded the index, which makes it easy to find the Warren's Job strips....)

an19990729.gif

an19990710.gif

an19990711.gif

an19990713.gif

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

It's confirmed.  I have my first client as Foothold Digital.  Who is the same as my old client at FL1.  Since they are my client now I will name drop, the client is Chase Corporation (not the bank), and as I said before they are an international manufacturing company.

I talked to my primary contact with the company and I've been hired as web developer and web server maintenance manager pending my 1099 vendor paperwork.  Not that I won't be resuming work on their various projects tomorrow.

Amusingly, one of the first things we discussed on the call, was whether we should keep FL1 as the hosting provider.  Which amused me endlessly.  I simply suggested that since we're in the middle of several projects that we should table that discussion until after we've completed them and then we can discuss options.

----

So, Foothold Digital is launching.  Hurray.  There are a list of details I have to hit before I can submit that 1099 I mentioned above.  Much paperwork to be had!

On that note, I have pulled up my gofundme account that I had my friends and family use to help pay for the party for our wedding, and I setup a new campaign to help establish my own Foothold. Pun intended!  Ha!

29228748_15240389320_r.jpeg

Search for "Foothold digital" on gofundme.com.

No pressure ... I know we all abuse our wallets horribly for this hobby of ours.  Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

-----

Day 0.5 of Foothold Digital has come to a close.  Tomorrow is Day 1.0.

Thank you to all who have offered advice and encouragement on here and by-all-means please feel free to continue.

Stay tuned.

Edited by OneBoot
Removed commerce link but added description for how to find it :)
  • Like 19