Thrym

Thrym's New Web Development Business (formerly His Tough Decision Day)

3 hours ago, Unit04 said:

Soooo....I looked at your email and the button at the bottom doesn't work.  It goes to footholddigial.com (I think you are missing a 'T' in there).   Also the second link in the body of your message goes to an "https://" link which brings up the "YOUR CONNECTION IS NOT PRIVATE" error, which may scare people off.

Caught the error on the missing t after the fact. Naturally.  Sadly, nothing I can do once it's in their inbox.

The privacy error is actually a browser error with anti-virus/security programs.  Firefox suffers from it the most with a few of the various AV's that do Internet security like Avast.  Annoyingly, not much I can do about that either except not use https in my marketing and it will switch automatically when they get to the site.

That first link was a copy/paste and the rest were typed out and that's how typos occur. :unsure:

Thank you for looking and testing.  Always appreciated.

Future email campaigns will be more sales/expertise related.

• Like 6

I was afraid the information was too late.  Ah well.  

I think the privacy error was generated by Chrome.  We use McAfee here though so that MAY have been it.  Again, I'm savvy enough to understand the error, but I'm just worried that some non-IT people will run away in fear.    

And since I don't think I said this, best of luck to you!

• Like 4

On 4/18/2018 at 3:42 PM, Thrym said:

Business Certificate (DBA) for NY acquired.  I am officially doing business as Foothold Digital.  WOOT!

Now I can go get a separate bank account.

Eventually, I will have to do the LLC and such to avoid complications with personal assets, etc. but for now ... I am official!

#1:  Congratulations.  I stayed in a toxic environment too long, and I felt the sting later.  I'm glad you got out!

#2:  Don't forget your insurance needs.  I'm in that business, not in New York, mind you, but it's something you definitely need to think about (commercial liability insurance and something to cover your business assets).  Find a good rep and I hope you do extremely well without the crazy deadlines all the time!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Unit04 said:

I was afraid the information was too late.  Ah well.  

I think the privacy error was generated by Chrome.  We use McAfee here though so that MAY have been it.  Again, I'm savvy enough to understand the error, but I'm just worried that some non-IT people will run away in fear.    

And since I don't think I said this, best of luck to you!

Thanks.

Yeah, I never intended to put it in there.  And that error for the privacy thing is a recent issue that's cropped up.  I would expect that people will be getting it from secure links all over for a bit until the AV/Internet Security software companies get that whole thing settled.

9 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

#1:  Congratulations.  I stayed in a toxic environment too long, and I felt the sting later.  I'm glad you got out!

#2:  Don't forget your insurance needs.  I'm in that business, not in New York, mind you, but it's something you definitely need to think about (commercial liability insurance and something to cover your business assets).  Find a good rep and I hope you do extremely well without the crazy deadlines all the time!

Thank you as well.

Yeah, the insurance has been mentioned before, and I've actually seen it first hand with the company I just left. 

/**** REDACTED ****/

No point rehashing that.

Edited by Thrym
I've become the broken record.
  • Like 6

So, in addition to the job status change it's been fun week or two for incidental issues.

1. A little over a week ago I backed into a pole with my car effectively sidelining the vehicle until I scrape together the deductible.
  2. My phone bricked today.  So I had to spend nearly $100 to upgrade my phone.

Luckily, today I collected my first big deposit.  Sadly, it's a check, so it wasn't immediately available for use.

The world continues to rotate at least ... for now.  When I finish the job I got the deposit for today that's another $1,800.  Just have to hustle.

• Like 12

Business cards ordered.  Finally.

image.png.145f7fef62203c5332772bfd73f64340.png

Should be here by next Wednesday.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 12

Highly Recommended!

image.png.8778d5ee3a77410b4caca8e42fd27c35.png

Sweet!

For those who are interested Alignable.com is a Local Business-to-Business similar to LinkedIn.

Foothold Digital on Alignable

• Like 5

"The new phone book is here!  The new phone book is here!"

Alright, they aren't phone books and yes, they still exist and no I would never bother with an ad in one or listing myself in one.

BUT

The new BUSINESS CARDS are here!  The new BUSINESS CARDS are here!

image.thumb.png.542d307791b214e42d88ed1fb5fbe202.png

• Like 12

I created the Testimonials page for my website and then put together a Facebook post for it (an likely other media).

Facebook Post:

1225240211_Screenshot_2018-05-15Pulledtogetherthevariousrecommendationsand-FootholdDigital.png.5380621c42a30f8a7332a2cc8356d13d.png
Switched to a screenshot, instead of a direct link to the ad.

Advertising on Facebook has yielded the most results so far business-wise.  I scored the recommendations by messaging my LinkedIn list of clients.  LinkedIn literally has a "Ask for a Recommendation" button.  So I did.

On related news ...

You'll get another "Thrym's Office" thread in the near future.  I'll be rearranging my "dining room" for my office and moving my wife's "crafting" and "writing" station to my current office.  It will require some cabling and perhaps some electrical outlet work.  Naturally, there will be some office layout and hanging of shelving for finished miniatures, etc.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Thrym
Removed commerce link
  • Like 8

Just finished my first quote/proposal for a potential client.  Amusingly, similar to my old company, it's for a pair of news websites and a print service.

Sending it out tomorrow after a few more eyes proofread it.

• Like 6

Nice.  Got a bite off of LinkedIn.  An agency that has a "started" website but looks like they need someone to bring it home.  Bit of a drive to meet with them but once that's done, it should be smooth sailing to get this one done.  Assuming the numbers and timeline all fall into place.

If you want to connect to me on LinkedIn you can find the link in my profile, @Thrym

I list myself as Owner / Developer of Foothold Digital as well as Owner / Publisher of Miniature Gaming Guide (my Miniature Gaming Industry news aggregate website).

I'll add my Markshire Studios / WoldStand display base business to LinkedIn when I get back to working on it.  :)

• Like 4

WOOT!  Billed my maintenance client 21.5 hours of work this month.

Closing in on the first finished website for Foothold Digital as well.

• Like 5