Thrym

Thrym's Tough Decision Day

Hearty congratulations on an satisfying (but unsurprising) result. I'm sure you will go from strength to strength.

• Like 5

Congratulations!  I did the same thing about 20 years ago with an environmental consulting agency that was going under.  wound up taking 3/4 of my clients with me because the company couldn't support my work when they lost me.  Spent 2 years at it, then my wife got pregnant and one of my competitors made me an offer I couldn't refuse... Al Capone style!  Well, the threat was against the business, not my person, but it was a threat none the less. 

I'm late to the party, as usual.  You made the right choice.  just don't forget about the little extras that go into contracting:  insurance for yourself and the business, finding a decent accountant, setting up a separate account for financial transactions, that sort of thing.  Mostly finding the accountant and getting the insurance though.  Having liability insurance on the business can open a lot of doors and a good accountant can relieve a lot of the office management annoyances from your day to day life.  I've done the self employed route both ways.  if you do everything yourself, you'll spend at least half an hour for every hour you work maintaining the business instead of doing what you want to do.  

It sounds like you made a great choice!  Stick with it and see how it goes.  If its not for you, it sounds like you wont have any problems landing  a new position somewhere else.  if I sound like I am singing to both sides, its because I am.  Self employment can be great fun and intensely profitable, but its also a lot of work and if a client gets irritated its real easy for them to make your life miserable with very little effort on their part.

Congratulations!  I did the same thing about 20 years ago with an environmental consulting agency that was going under.  wound up taking 3/4 of my clients with me because the company couldn't support my work when they lost me.  Spent 2 years at it, then my wife got pregnant and one of my competitors made me an offer I couldn't refuse... Al Capone style!  Well, the threat was against the business, not my person, but it was a threat none the less. 

I'm late to the party, as usual.  You made the right choice.  just don't forget about the little extras that go into contracting:  insurance for yourself and the business, finding a decent accountant, setting up a separate account for financial transactions, that sort of thing.  Mostly finding the accountant and getting the insurance though.  Having liability insurance on the business can open a lot of doors and a good accountant can relieve a lot of the office management annoyances from your day to day life.  I've done the self employed route both ways.  if you do everything yourself, you'll spend at least half an hour for every hour you work maintaining the business instead of doing what you want to do.  

It sounds like you made a great choice!  Stick with it and see how it goes.  If its not for you, it sounds like you wont have any problems landing  a new position somewhere else.  if I sound like I am singing to both sides, its because I am.  Self employment can be great fun and intensely profitable, but its also a lot of work and if a client gets irritated its real easy for them to make your life miserable with very little effort on their part.

• Like 6

On 4/15/2018 at 3:03 PM, Gadgetman! said:

Keep a copy of the document, together with the returned signature in case of issues. 

This is for CYA reasons.

Unless you send this your ex-boss will probably blame you when the company goes under. 

Actually, he probably will anyway, but with the document, you can show that you did a 'good faith' attempt to make the transition as smooth as possible, and that any issues that developed was not your fault.   

I would concur with this. Many years ago I was fired from a job by an incompetent general manager who didn't like me. I sent one of these documents to the owners. Later on I found out the general manager was bad mouthing me on reference calls being made by potential employers. 

Even though I was entitled to sue the company over it, the letter I had sent was enough for the owners to take my word seriously without having to file a complaint or lawsuit. 

Good luck on your future endeavors!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I would concur with this. Many years ago I was fired from a job by an incompetent general manager who didn't like me. I sent one of these documents to the owners. Later on I found out the general manager was bad mouthing me on reference calls being made by potential employers. 

Even though I was entitled to sue the company over it, the letter I had sent was enough for the owners to take my word seriously without having to file a complaint or lawsuit. 

Good luck on your future endeavors!

The job before this one I had the a different take on that.  I started my last merit review with my boss telling me that if it was up to him he would fire me but his boss insisted he give me an exceeds level raise.  :devil:

this started a 4 hour 'conversation' (it was a tad one sided) about my bosses failings and ended when he stormed out of his office.  Needless to say, I took that as my invitation to find a new job.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Business Certificate (DBA) for NY acquired.  I am officially doing business as Foothold Digital.  WOOT!

Now I can go get a separate bank account.

Eventually, I will have to do the LLC and such to avoid complications with personal assets, etc. but for now ... I am official!

• Like 15

Many years ago, I worked for one of the most painful kinds of bad bosses - the ones that are genuinely nice people, but neither know what they are doing, nor do they know how to listen to good advice.

And I don't mean that he wasn't listening, I mean that he listened, and then screwed up while trying to follow the advice.

The basic irony was that our non-profit's express purpose was helping people get the advice they needed, and helping them figure out how to follow the red tape. (He founded Horizons because he had difficulty.)

The bitter irony was that we were eventually put out of business by a screw up at the State level - when they completely borked their brand new and exciting computer system.

This is a recurring theme in Maine - it seems that every two years from the nineteen nineties on, Maine discovers that their brand new and exciting computers are costing the state millions of dollars, because they have garbage systems. (It happened again this year.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

The job before this one I had the a different take on that.  I started my last merit review with my boss telling me that if it was up to him he would fire me but his boss insisted he give me an exceeds level raise.  :devil:

this started a 4 hour 'conversation' (it was a tad one sided) about my bosses failings and ended when he stormed out of his office.  Needless to say, I took that as my invitation to find a new job.

It turns out one of the reasons that this guy didn't like me is because he wound up under more pressure from the owners because of me, and that panicked him. I was promoted to his location to take the place of a guy who was laid off when the company was trimming salary costs (about 8 people got laid off between the two locations.) Proud of my new position, I wanted to do my best, which meant doing everything by the book. 

His location was about an hour out from the closest owner's house, and was _never_ visited by the owners without them calling first.  Meaning he had spent years hiding problems from them.  But my best friend was a long time trusted employee of the owners, and so I would vent to him about how hard it was to keep things going by the book.  Which led to a couple of surprise visits by the owners. Which led to issues for him.

A year after I was fired, this manager left to start his own competing business. Three to four months after that, the new manager discovered that the guy who fired me had been skimming product and consulting services from the business for his own startup, and had been doing it for at least 3 years.  And it appears THAT is the real reason he didn't like me - I apparently almost got him caught several times. 

I got a full apology for my firing, and they amended my employee records there to show I quit.  What I don't get is why they didn't press charges against him for theft. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

What I don't get is why they didn't press charges against him for theft. 

I found out about something similar with a former employee.  He quit our office by text message.  *facepalm*  But he didn't steal from us ... that I know of.

A couple years later he had taken a job at a local golf course, back in his first career of cooking, and was apparently stealing gear from the kitchen.

However, he was fired for his attitude issues.  They reasoned that the missing gear was associated with him because the thefts completely stopped immediately after.

The local police explained it to them that while he was an employee he was coming and going to the storage room and such so his prints were everywhere and there was no method to prove it was him without something like a security camera, etc. catching him in the act.

A co-worker who also runs the Pro Shop sometimes told me about it.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 6

There's a reason why most companies never press charges against an ex-employee for stealing, and it's that it looks bad on them. 

No publicity is bad publicity is NOT correct in these situations. 

It's one thing to do it when they toss the moron out, it's quite another thing to do it later. 

"They took how long before they realised he stole all that? What kind of bookkeeping are they doing, really?"

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Thrym said:

However, he was fired for his attitude issues.  They reasoned that the missing gear was associated with him because the thefts completely stopped immediately after.

The local police explained it to them that while he was an employee he was coming and going to the storage room and such so his prints were everywhere and there was no method to prove it was him without something like a security camera, etc. catching him in the act.

That's the situation with the product they figure he took. 

But they apparently had him dead to rights in theft of consulting services.  It was a family fun center - they were doing an expansion right before I got there, and he had the engineering firm make a variant set of plans for the family fun center he wanted to build.  My best friend told me they caught it because they found these invoices for some change orders made after the fact - called up the engineering firm to find out what they were, and found out that they were plans that were used for the place he built. 

9 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

There's a reason why most companies never press charges against an ex-employee for stealing, and it's that it looks bad on them. 

No publicity is bad publicity is NOT correct in these situations. 

It's one thing to do it when they toss the moron out, it's quite another thing to do it later. 

"They took how long before they realised he stole all that? What kind of bookkeeping are they doing, really?"

Same company did prosecute several employees for theft though - In the years I worked there, no less than three people were hauled off in handcuffs for skimming from the till. 

I'm guessing it's because the guy was a long time family friend of one of the owners, and he was too hurt to admit his friend had taken advantage of him. I still don't get it, though - I would have been more inclined to myself. 

• Like 4

Good  luck!

I hope it will work out for you!

Must be kind of exciting as well to start this!

• Like 4

Thanks to a gofundme donation and the "winnings" from this year's dart league, I have setup the first hosting server for Foothold Digital.

I am in the process of migrating some websites that I own first.  To get them off my old company's server.

These include Thrym's Table (my painting blog), Markshire (NWN game site), Markshire Studios (WoldStand basing sales site) and Miniature Gaming Guide (miniature hobby industry news site) as well as my wife's Wreaths by Jenn website.

I'll also be transferring @ub3r_n3rd's website when that comes due.  And perhaps at least one more friend site before the week is out.

• Like 11

Soooo....I looked at your email and the button at the bottom doesn't work.  It goes to footholddigial.com (I think you are missing a 'T' in there).   Also the second link in the body of your message goes to an "https://" link which brings up the "YOUR CONNECTION IS NOT PRIVATE" error, which may scare people off.