Sign in to follow this  
Vacaroja

Dain Deepaxe : 01610

Another attempt at NMM.  And funny enough, on another dwarf.  And my first shiny gems.  NMM is a touch inconsistent this time.  I ended up rushing it a bit after the hubby said he wants to use it for a D&D character he started playing.  But I have two of these fellas, so I get to work on it more on the other one and as much as red IS the color of dwarven beards, I'll probably play around with a little salt and pepper on the next one.

5ad4aae55eaeb_20180416_082852(800x800).thumb.jpg.9cb0a572076e4828f650057b2dfc709e.jpg5ad4aae5e04f7_20180416_082934(800x800).thumb.jpg.49676c844d60104f535200fb2c8fcdc0.jpg5ad4aae671981_20180416_083236_001(800x800).thumb.jpg.fa3b8f5de4d4ff68ccf831f091059670.jpg

• Like 20

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NyarlaBcn
      I have all the 25th anniversary minis and now it's Darius turn.
      It's one of my favourites; and while frecuently the "official" painting scheme wasn't for me, because many of them were too colorful (let's say Ametrine or Dain) and I painted them somber, I like the scheme on Darius. 
      The issue is... I never tried to replicate such an ambitious pattern: that blue mosaic. I'm not great with freehands, and to cover his entire clothing with it looks almost scary. So I decided to start the project sharing it here. 

First things first, I primed Darius Black. On second thoughts I should probably used white primer, but well, it's done now... Then based him. White putty to fit his base to the plastic base. 

Then I decided to try a few colors, and to do that I used another mini I'm not really interested on right now. As you can see on the pic, I tried three different blues for the base color. They all look darker than they should because before I start with the mosaic I will highlight them: the idea is choose one, paint the entire clothing with highlights. I'm still not sure which one. I'm inclined to the one I'm pointing with the brush; but on photo it looks slightly different... I will try other mixes to see if I can find something a bit more turquoise. Now on photo I think that there is too much contrast between the two blues; and when I'm working with Darius, the pattern will be also more neat, small and precise. Now it's a bit rough because it's just all about color. 
      I'm also undecided about the mosaic. I will highlight it too, once applied. I'm using a pale blue, which will be paler when I highlight it. 

Any advice so welcomed because that's totally new to me... 

• By GodOfCheese
      I speed-painted this guy for an upcoming encounter because I was surprised not to have a dwarf miniature with a hammer. I really like how he came out, and how the encounter went down. So yay!

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all,

so just finished this one, another really fun and adventurous Dwarf sculpted by Jim Johnson back in 2002-2003. Another piece from the Hackmaster line from Kenzer and Company, but was acquired by Ral Partha and now being cast by them.  Hopefully dwarfy enough colors, started out with his skin as tanned highlights and gave him some nice black hair.  I thought about doing something with the runes on his axe but then just figured I'd leave them as metal.

Enjoy!
    • By EldritchEladrin
      This year is the year of giving miniatures as birthday gifts to the friends I game with. One of these fine fellows--my oldest and dearest friend--has a birthday in a couple weeks. He loves magic-users and is obsessed with Harry Potter, so I painted up a 25th anniversary Domur as a classic "Gandalf the Grey" style wizard for his present:

Tried to layer the flames to give some interesting and pleasing texture. Let me know how I did.

Also, given his love for all things Potter, I did my best to modify Domur's spellbook to a more familiar book cover...

I'm actually surprised I could keep the brush steady enough for it to come across at all similar, to be honest.
    • By Pingo
      So I realized I only had one painted dwarf (!) when one of my GMs asked me if I had anything for the Jadeborn, a race in Exalted that is roughly equivalent to dwarves except for the 0.001% who are roughly equivalent to elves. And they are also sort of stone golems. Based on jade.

I thought Reaper's 60184: Meyanda, Android Priestess, sculpted by Bobby Jackson, would do well for one of the elfy artisan Jadeborn and I pulled out a random assortment of seven (because of course) dwarves for the worker and warrior Jadeborn.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I left a few crystal and gem areas white so they will have more luminosity later.

Left to right:
      Reaper 60184, Meyanda Android Priestess; Ral Partha; Hasslefree HFD014 Hatherley; Oathsworn Miniatures; Oathsworn Miniatures; Red Box Games; Stonehaven Miniatures; Reaper 14143: Kara Foehunter, Dwarf Hero

Details:

The Ral Partha dwarf is tiny!

• Who's Online   22 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)