Boaz

Is your fridge running ?

I actually just blew out all the dust in my mini coca cola fridge, and it is cold again:) Need to pull out the big fridge and mini freezer and work on those.  Unfortunately the dust out did not help my honeywell fan, I have to crank it now like an old biplane to get it going:(

• Sad 2

Honeywell fan?  

I don't know those, but...

The extraction fan in my home (over stove and for the bathroom) is an attic-mounted cross-flow fan.   

The manual(which everone throws away) specifically suggests dismantling it and cleaning the fan assembly once every year. 

(Unplug it, remove a set of screws and pull the motor and rum out. Clean, then reassemble)

These fans often run continiously, at low speed. 

There's a large capacitor either in the fan housing or in an box next to it. This will fail after anthing from 5 to 15 years. When that happens it will be prone to sudden stops when running at low speed, and refusing to restart without 'physical presuasion'.   

A dirty fan will kill the capacitor faster than a clean one. 

Swapping the capacitor is a 5 minute job that anyone should be able to do on their own. 

(Make note of polarity or it will explode)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

There's a large capacitor either in the fan housing or in an box next to it. This will fail after anything from 5 to 15 years. When that happens it will be prone to sudden stops when running at low speed, and refusing to restart without 'physical persuasion'.

I always wondered why our old fans would do that (need persuasion).

• Like 1

I have had to swap out a few bathroom fan motors in the last couple of weeks, they tend to over heat if gunked up too long, a good cleaning and a little lube dose wonders ...

I have been picking up new style replacement Motors on plates (side displacement style) and taking them apart, flipping the main motor but not the shafts and remounting the top and bottom shaft mounts so I can mount it to the cross bar with the old pusher motor fan blade to use a box fan motor (15$) instead of the replacement pusher motor (140$) ... in an old tube fan housing ... seems worth the half hour to swap motors ...

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 2

You can partially disassemble a ceiling fan (take the blades off and housing down) to get to the electric motor for deep cleaning if you feel up to it ...

Keeping the dust down is why I try to vacume things out instead of blowing them off.

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 1

You know , this brings up a good point ... where are your electric motors and heat exchange radiators in your house ... both benefit from cleaning now and again ...

Radiators ... fridge , freezer , AC unit , swamp coolers (you change the pads not clean them), others ?

Electric motors ... in your fridge / freezer , fans (bathroom , ceiling fan or fan/light , stove hood , attic) , pump house / sludge pump , AC unit / swamp cooler , others ?

All the above will last longer and run better / more cost effectively if cleaned from time to time ... a small price for a nice return.

• Like 2

More of an personal thing vs house thing but a thought with warmer weather coming ... cleaned out you computer lately ? 

Might be worth a goggle moment to make sure you treat your motherboard right ...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Boaz said:

More of an personal thing vs house thing but a thought with warmer weather coming ... cleaned out you computer lately ? 

Might be worth a goggle moment to make sure you treat your motherboard right ...

And that's why I have a datavac, as it makes the job so much easier, especially pesky heatsinks like my Cryorig R1 Ultimate.  Great heatsink, but wow it's a pain to clean. 

Also does great work on my graphics card's heatsink too. 

• Like 1

Have you vacumed out your dryer lint trap and exit  vent ... you might not find a bird nesting in your dryer ... but you might find a load of lint.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boaz said:

Have you vacumed out your dryer lint trap and exit  vent ... you might not find a bird nesting in your dryer ... but you might find a load of lint.

This is one of the things I realized not everyone is aware of its existence.

Growing up, I remember my mother cleaning out the lint trap. Older, while doing my own laundry, I would clean out the lint trap. But I've seen other tenants that seem completely oblivious to the gathering carpet as the lint trap gets thicker and thicker (you can even see the layering of different dryer sessions). I've seen tenants burn out a dryer because of a clogged lint trap.

For some reason, I *like* removing the lint from lint traps. One of my tricks is to use my discarded dryer sheets to get additional grip as I start to peel off the lint.

• Like 6

When I was in Girl Scouts we invented a quick and easy firestarter by putting dryer lint into egg carton cups and a slight coating of wax to keep it all in there.

That'll teach a kid to clean the lint trap.

• Like 5

They should have tried lint and vazeline... 

Or not...     

(I keep those cotton makeup-pads and vazeline in my camping gear for use both as part of my first aid kit and for firestarting)

It's very effective together with a firesteel or magnesium firestarter set.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

When I was in Girl Scouts we invented a quick and easy firestarter by putting dryer lint into egg carton cups and a slight coating of wax to keep it all in there.

That'll teach a kid to clean the lint trap.

We use those at Pennsic.

• Like 1

Yes, my fridge is running.

I also have Prince Albert in a can, but it can stay there as it is a fairly unpleasant pipe tobacco.

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 1