Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Some random bases

I was working on this guy, and his original base -- the oval patch in the center -- looked lousy on top of the rectangular magnet I've attached him to, so I broke out the green stuff and did some basic broccoli.

undead-centaur-01.thumb.jpg.6b6240df6a75f45b9c8e2e2f1e251b4d.jpg

Unfortunately now the texture of the oval area doesn't really match the surrounding bits.  Maybe he happens to be standing a stone surrounded by grass?  Blargh.

Also, having mixed up faaaaar too much green stuff, I also made these.

random-bases.jpg.71ec3beb9df3b6aa851a763161c9206b.jpg

Fairly basic, I'll admit, but I'm pleased with them.  They are recognizable as bricks and wood, and that's all I can really hope for.

• Like 7

I think they look great! You have to start somewhere right? More to the point, those are good bricks and wood right there, easily identifiable as such.

As for your first guy, I think you have a good idea with the stone idea, you should be able to make that work really well. 

Brilliant! I agree with Gargs on the first one. I'm a fan of blending the original base with a sculpted base as well. Unfortunately I have not example to link, i can't find the photo. :( 

Question for you, do you happen to use Vaseline on your tools when sculpting? I ask cause I do and it has helped me dramatically! I also mix 50/50 Apoxy sculpt and greenstuff as well. It's more malleable and dries just as hard.

1 hour ago, Arc 724 said:

I also mix 50/50 Apoxy sculpt and greenstuff as well. It's more malleable and dries just as hard.

For what it's worth, you can also mix polymer clay with greenstuff. Even though the polymer clay is generally a bake to harden clay, the curing of the greenstuff is sufficient to harden the polymer to the same hardness.

15 minutes ago, wdmartin said:

No, I've never used Vaseline on my tools; just water.  Doesn't it get awfully messy?

Doesn't really take much Vaseline.  I just lightly dab the tool to the pot of Vaseline; just enough to be there, but barely visible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clearman said:

Doesn't really take much Vaseline.  I just lightly dab the tool to the pot of Vaseline; just enough to be there, but barely visible.

My thoughts exactly. You can buy one of the really small containers and it will last you for years.

When I took a sculpting class, the instructor had us rub a little Vaseline on the back of our hands, between thumb and first finger. Then you just wipe your tool on your (non dominant) hand. Much easier to not get too much than sticking it in the pot. 

• Like 3