Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
For my birthday earlier this month my husband gave me various terrain pieces, including these resin pieces from Novus Design Studio.
They are: 1019 - 28mm Fantasy Bridge; 1052 - 28mm Artillery Position; 1015 - 28mm Fantasy Wall Set; and 1079 - 15mm Stalingrad Red October Factory Ruin, or as I have been thinking of them: the bridge, the cul-de-sac, the walls, and the really cool even if it is a little small abandoned factory.
I've never worked with resin before, and this has had something of a learning curve even for the priming.
I scrubbed these things well with warm water and dish liquid, but wow, do they repel paint in parts.
At first I mixed the paint with a little flow release, but that didn't work out too well. It still beaded up and the dried paint film was soft and susceptible to being picked up by a wet brush, suggesting a weak paint film later on.
This is how they looked after a single coat of primer:
The walls were mostly okay, with at least one wall having a ferociously paint-resistant top, even after double scrubbing with hot water and strong dish soap. Not even rubbing alcohol could break the beading and surface tension.
So I switched tactics.
I decided to mix my paint with a medium I have used previously when painting fiberglass sculpture, GAC 200 from Golden Paints which improves adhesion and reduces tack when dry.
This is why I blinked when I first saw Reaper paints:
The other thing I would do is keep a hair dryer blowing on the paint to dry it fast before it had a chance to bead up. This necessitated the sacrifice of a couple of brushes because they had to be used under warm blowing air. It also required a certain amount of juggling hands.
But it seems to have worked, and the paint film is much stronger. This is how the pieces looked after the second coat of primer:
And the third coat of primer. I had to stop using the camera's flash because they looked so white they only had a silhouette of the shape. In real life they do not look quite this opaque white:
The factory I did last. It looks really cool, but all the detail is at the moment washed out by the white primer. I didn't remove all the flash and I think the hexagonal spaces in the ceiling supports were supposed to be cut out, but there's only so much work I have the spoons for in prep.
Who's Online 13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)