Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Davis

02682: Selmarina, Witch OSL project

Very interesting.  I like it, but I’m really curious to know what you were aiming for, and how come you feel you missed the mark.

It reads to me as the crystal ball throwing off her light.  It is bright yellow when close, but fades to orange then red as you move further away from the ball.

If that was your intent, I think you pulled it off.

• Like 1

It may not have been what you had in mind, but she is very well done! You conveyed the idea of a glowing orb very well. I think you also hit "glowing orb in a dark room" too - which is pretty great. She's made more dynamic than the sculpt is posed just by your good paint job. Keep up the good work! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your positive comments.  The longer I look at the finished mini the more it is growing on me.  I was initially very dismayed by how muddy her skin looked after I added the orange glow.  However as I said I learned a lot from this project I'm looking forward to seeing how the next one works out.  More lighting effects projects are in the works on my painting desk.

• Like 1

I'm not seeing muddy tones. I'm seeing appropriate orangeing. Unless you mean the mud that fell on my head from an abandoned uranium mine.... that was orange mud and a unique case. I think you're well en route to stellar OSL, and this is an exceptionally good learning piece. Be proud of her - the hard work paid off! 

If you are looking for inspiration, check out Dark Sword's DSM7465. Marike Reimer did incredibly intense OSL on that figure. You hit similar intensities to appropriate levels. The comparison is a sincere compliment! 

I really look forward to seeing you do more OSL. I bet you nail it with less worry on your next figure ::D:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much, I love that figure and I love Marike Reimer's work.  I watch her video repeatedly, to the constant annoyance of my family ("seriously are you watching paint dry again").

I know what you mean about the mud aura.  I experienced the fine mud mist shower after explosions many times in the army.  I've never been anywhere near uranium though.  Uranianite on occasion when I was mapping structures of a mixed diorite-granite batholith.  I'm really more of a fossil guy to be honest.  Microfossils actually.  I definitely owe some of my brush control to the years I spent picking fossils from sediment samples with a very fine tipped paint brush.

All that to say Thanks, Cyradis, that is the best compliment my painting has ever received and I appreciate it.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Davis
  • Like 1