Had an extra one of these lying about, and decided to experiment with a limited palette. Here’s how she turned out:

Front

Back

Main colors used were MSP Woodland Brown, Brilliant Green, Scholar Flesh, and Yellowed Bone (and it’s triad).

Not completely happy with her skin tones, I tried everything up to Moth Green trying to get a light tone that still read as green. Wound up using one of the darkest greens I have, go figure. Shaded by gradually dropping the flesh tone until it was straight green, but it turned out to be a rather extreme color shift.

I like how the base and tree trunk came out, however. The ground shade was achieved by throwing some blues and yellows together until they stopped being bad and then painting some gray on the rocks.

All in all, I think it turned out all right for just messing around. Definitely something to practice in the future. Comments, critiques, and suggestions appreciated. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Very Nice!

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good job on her!

Thank you woofs. -_-

I think the next one’s skin should be more fleshy-tinted. But every mix I tried like that ended up with a yellowish tint instead of a green one. Mixing paints is tricky <_<

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sophie was taken said:

Thank you woofs. -_-

I think the next one’s skin should be more fleshy-tinted. But every mix I tried like that ended up with a yellowish tint instead of a green one. Mixing paints is tricky <_<

You could paint it in flesh colours.

Then when dry start glazing with a light green.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2

SWT - she's a fun figure! I like your idea of doing her green. I think the trouble is that she looks a bit flat; the skin doesn't have enough shading or highlighting to it. Moth Green is a very bright green and slightly yellow, it wouldn't work with the soft Moss triad. And if you want to avoid yellows, you'll have to be careful with which highlights you use - no Linen White. 

Say... the lightest of the Moss triad. Lichen something? That can be the goal skin tone. I'd mix that with a little white for the highlights, but go even further than the darkest of the triad in the shadows, being very selective with the darkest part. You could mix that dark one with a wee bit of Coal Black, or Pure black...or kinda whatever tint you want. That could almost line areas like her under-boob, chinstrap, and armpits. Areas that are "under" then use the darkest of the moss triad, and areas "on top" use the Lichen and the Lichen + White. The moss triad is pretty subtle though, so perhaps it isn't vivid enough of a green for your liking, but a good starting point. That's where I'd take the Brilliant Green or Viper Green and do a very thin glaze on top. If you have Clear Green that may even be better. Thin the paint a LOT, then put it on brush and blot the brush so it isn't runny (that would be a wash). Gently run the brush on the areas you want to vivid-up. The underlayer will still be there, but the result will be more green. 

Keep up the good painting and great compositions - I haven't really messed around with non-standard skin tones much, and doing so is inspiring me to try ^_^

• Like 2

I think she looks great!

For green skin, I like the Olive Triad. Mix a bit of grass green into the mid and dark tone to make the green pop (avoid mixing it into the lighter shade as it just looks wrong). Also, hitting the deep shadows with a very dark red that's really thinned out also helps add depth (I like Deep Red or Red Brick).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

SWT - she's a fun figure! I like your idea of doing her green. I think the trouble is that she looks a bit flat; the skin doesn't have enough shading or highlighting to it. Moth Green is a very bright green and slightly yellow, it wouldn't work with the soft Moss triad. And if you want to avoid yellows, you'll have to be careful with which highlights you use - no Linen White

She is a fun one! The tree and base add a lot to it. Unfortunately, the moss triad is still on The List, and I didn’t feel like waiting around for it. ::P: I didn’t mix some Candlelight Yellow into the flesh tone for highlights, and it came out really well (though my photos always wash out the highlights).

You are right about her skin looking “flat”. I think a less pale flesh tone like Tanned Skin would have been better, it worked out well when I did these orcs recently. It seems this one crossed that threshold of “no longer reads as skin”.

Say... the lightest of the Moss triad. Lichen something? That can be the goal skin tone. I'd mix that with a little white for the highlights, but go even further than the darkest of the triad in the shadows, being very selective with the darkest part. You could mix that dark one with a wee bit of Coal Black, or Pure black...or kinda whatever tint you want. That could almost line areas like her under-boob, chinstrap, and armpits. Areas that are "under" then use the darkest of the moss triad, and areas "on top" use the Lichen and the Lichen + White. The moss triad is pretty subtle though, so perhaps it isn't vivid enough of a green for your liking, but a good starting point. That's where I'd take the Brilliant Green or Viper Green and do a very thin glaze on top. If you have Clear Green that may even be better. Thin the paint a LOT, then put it on brush and blot the brush so it isn't runny (that would be a wash). Gently run the brush on the areas you want to vivid-up. The underlayer will still be there, but the result will be more green. 

Saving for next time. Am I just seeing things or is Coal Black ever so slightly greenish?

Keep up the good painting and great compositions - I haven't really messed around with non-standard skin tones much, and doing so is inspiring me to try ^_^

Thanks, and you should totally go for it! It’s surprisingly fun to do and aesthetically pleasing in my experience.

2 hours ago, Schirf said:

I think she looks great!

For green skin, I like the Olive Triad. Mix a bit of grass green into the mid and dark tone to make the green pop (avoid mixing it into the lighter shade as it just looks wrong). Also, hitting the deep shadows with a very dark red that's really thinned out also helps add depth (I like Deep Red or Red Brick).

Thanks, and I’ll keep this in mind for next time as well. Guess the rest of the Olive Green triad is going on The List now too!

Yep, Coal Black has a green-blue tinge to it. I'm finding it quite pleasing to use. It is more saturated than Nightshade Purple, but not as saturated as Nightmare Black (crazy deep blue). I really like it thinned or mixed in tiny bits for washes and glazing, since it isn't as overpowering as a full black, and the wee bit of hue is pretty. 

• Like 3