Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Had an extra one of these lying about, and decided to experiment with a limited palette. Here’s how she turned out:

 

Front

Back

 

Main colors used were MSP Woodland Brown, Brilliant Green, Scholar Flesh, and Yellowed Bone (and it’s triad).

 

Not completely happy with her skin tones, I tried everything up to Moth Green trying to get a light tone that still read as green. Wound up using one of the darkest greens I have, go figure. Shaded by gradually dropping the flesh tone until it was straight green, but it turned out to be a rather extreme color shift.

 

I like how the base and tree trunk came out, however. The ground shade was achieved by throwing some blues and yellows together until they stopped being bad and then painting some gray on the rocks.

 

All in all, I think it turned out all right for just messing around. Definitely something to practice in the future. Comments, critiques, and suggestions appreciated. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Very Nice!

 

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good job on her!

 

Thank you woofs. -_-

 

I think the next one’s skin should be more fleshy-tinted. But every mix I tried like that ended up with a yellowish tint instead of a green one. Mixing paints is tricky <_<

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sophie was taken said:

 

 

Thank you woofs. -_-

 

I think the next one’s skin should be more fleshy-tinted. But every mix I tried like that ended up with a yellowish tint instead of a green one. Mixing paints is tricky <_<

 

You could paint it in flesh colours.

Then when dry start glazing with a light green.

 

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SWT - she's a fun figure! I like your idea of doing her green. I think the trouble is that she looks a bit flat; the skin doesn't have enough shading or highlighting to it. Moth Green is a very bright green and slightly yellow, it wouldn't work with the soft Moss triad. And if you want to avoid yellows, you'll have to be careful with which highlights you use - no Linen White. 

 

Say... the lightest of the Moss triad. Lichen something? That can be the goal skin tone. I'd mix that with a little white for the highlights, but go even further than the darkest of the triad in the shadows, being very selective with the darkest part. You could mix that dark one with a wee bit of Coal Black, or Pure black...or kinda whatever tint you want. That could almost line areas like her under-boob, chinstrap, and armpits. Areas that are "under" then use the darkest of the moss triad, and areas "on top" use the Lichen and the Lichen + White. The moss triad is pretty subtle though, so perhaps it isn't vivid enough of a green for your liking, but a good starting point. That's where I'd take the Brilliant Green or Viper Green and do a very thin glaze on top. If you have Clear Green that may even be better. Thin the paint a LOT, then put it on brush and blot the brush so it isn't runny (that would be a wash). Gently run the brush on the areas you want to vivid-up. The underlayer will still be there, but the result will be more green. 

 

Keep up the good painting and great compositions - I haven't really messed around with non-standard skin tones much, and doing so is inspiring me to try ^_^

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think she looks great!

 

For green skin, I like the Olive Triad. Mix a bit of grass green into the mid and dark tone to make the green pop (avoid mixing it into the lighter shade as it just looks wrong). Also, hitting the deep shadows with a very dark red that's really thinned out also helps add depth (I like Deep Red or Red Brick).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

SWT - she's a fun figure! I like your idea of doing her green. I think the trouble is that she looks a bit flat; the skin doesn't have enough shading or highlighting to it. Moth Green is a very bright green and slightly yellow, it wouldn't work with the soft Moss triad. And if you want to avoid yellows, you'll have to be careful with which highlights you use - no Linen White

 

She is a fun one! The tree and base add a lot to it. Unfortunately, the moss triad is still on The List, and I didn’t feel like waiting around for it. ::P: I didn’t mix some Candlelight Yellow into the flesh tone for highlights, and it came out really well (though my photos always wash out the highlights).

 

You are right about her skin looking “flat”. I think a less pale flesh tone like Tanned Skin would have been better, it worked out well when I did these orcs recently. It seems this one crossed that threshold of “no longer reads as skin”.

 

22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Say... the lightest of the Moss triad. Lichen something? That can be the goal skin tone. I'd mix that with a little white for the highlights, but go even further than the darkest of the triad in the shadows, being very selective with the darkest part. You could mix that dark one with a wee bit of Coal Black, or Pure black...or kinda whatever tint you want. That could almost line areas like her under-boob, chinstrap, and armpits. Areas that are "under" then use the darkest of the moss triad, and areas "on top" use the Lichen and the Lichen + White. The moss triad is pretty subtle though, so perhaps it isn't vivid enough of a green for your liking, but a good starting point. That's where I'd take the Brilliant Green or Viper Green and do a very thin glaze on top. If you have Clear Green that may even be better. Thin the paint a LOT, then put it on brush and blot the brush so it isn't runny (that would be a wash). Gently run the brush on the areas you want to vivid-up. The underlayer will still be there, but the result will be more green. 

 

Saving for next time. Am I just seeing things or is Coal Black ever so slightly greenish?

 

22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Keep up the good painting and great compositions - I haven't really messed around with non-standard skin tones much, and doing so is inspiring me to try ^_^

 

 

Thanks, and you should totally go for it! It’s surprisingly fun to do and aesthetically pleasing in my experience.

 

2 hours ago, Schirf said:

I think she looks great!

 

For green skin, I like the Olive Triad. Mix a bit of grass green into the mid and dark tone to make the green pop (avoid mixing it into the lighter shade as it just looks wrong). Also, hitting the deep shadows with a very dark red that's really thinned out also helps add depth (I like Deep Red or Red Brick).

 

Thanks, and I’ll keep this in mind for next time as well. Guess the rest of the Olive Green triad is going on The List now too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, Coal Black has a green-blue tinge to it. I'm finding it quite pleasing to use. It is more saturated than Nightshade Purple, but not as saturated as Nightmare Black (crazy deep blue). I really like it thinned or mixed in tiny bits for washes and glazing, since it isn't as overpowering as a full black, and the wee bit of hue is pretty. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Zink
      Grabbed this mini because I wanted to try out the Golden skin triad. I've also been reading and watching a bunch of painting tutorials and wanted to do a better job than my usual slop and smear. Pretty happy with how she turned out but disappointed somewhat with the metal on the weapons and her hair. Didn't realise you can't see her eyes very good in the photo until now but I even did a decent job on them. Would be happy to get any feedback on how to improve her hair and weapons. Someday I need to get some makeup tips too because whenever I try to do it on my lady's they look like a drunken nightmare.
       


    • By SparrowMarie
      I started a second first giant queen recently. I've done a fair amount of work on her so far but still have a long way to go.
       


    • By Pingo
      This is Reaper's classic vampire warrior, #02551, Monique Denoir, sculpted by Werner Klocke. She's wonderfully menacing.
       
      She casts no shadow on the base.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
        
       
        
       

       
      WIP thread here.
    • By Pingo
      The thread about the Drider and centaur I Frankensteined up from some Reaper and Citadel parts reminded me of this little gem I put together this summer as part of a coterie of Drow.
       
      I was originally inspired by the Reaper Bones Conversions thread Chaoswolf started, which had some cool examples of substituting Bones torsos on the Bones Dark Elf Arachnid Warriors. Since Bones are so easy to cut and carve up and glue together, I thought I'd give it a try.
       
      So this is the spider body from Reaper #77182, Arachnid Archer, and the upper half of #77057, Juliette, Female Sorceress. I carved her carefully to leave a peg for the spider body, and I've carved out little sockets on the spider body for the bags and flasks around her waist.

       

       
      This is a dry fitting, where you can see the way the two pieces more or less fit together under the waist:

       
      Here she is glued. I used epoxy (I know, I know, but I like its space-filling qualities). I left it thin on the back of her torso and added another layer once it had dried, let it get to the gloopy sticky phase, and carved some striations in it with a bamboo skewer to match the hairiness of the spider body.

       

       
      Here she is primed with Reaper Brown Liner, ready to paint:

       

       

       

    • By Laoke
      Hi there!  You might remember me from such threads as "Bones!  Do they blend?" and "How to use Tamiya Clear Paints to varnish your translucent patio furniture!".  I don't paint much over the Southern Hemisphere Winter, as I'm too busy snowboarding, but now that the sun is out again it's time to start working through my Immortality Shelf and get some paint on some figures.

      Today we're looking at the Blackstar Corsairs:  80080: Blackstar Corsair Echo, 80079: Blackstar Corsair Delta, 80078: Blackstar Corsair Charlie, 80077: Blackstar Corsair Bravo, and 80076: Blackstar Corsair Alpha. 
       

       
      In general these have all been painted up as a unit, using a speed paint method.  The undercoat is MSP 09066 Blue Liner.  The main base color is MSP 09288 LED Blue, shaded down with a succession of glazes of MSP 09280 Nightmare Blue.  I love the shading this gives, it's a very striking effect.  The visors I've done using a base coat of MSP HD 29806 Fireball Orage, working up to MSP 09051 New Gold, and then layering over Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow.  This gives a great depth of color to the visor, and is supposed to look like the gold leaf covering a traditional spacesuit visor.  The back power packs are basically a MSP 0939 Pure White base, worked up to Fireball Orange on the central core & MSP 09094 Clear Red on the retaining arms.  Details have been picked out with Vallejo Model Air 71.064 Chrome.  The weapons are Blue Liner, dry brushed with VMA 71.073 Black Metal then knocked back with a wash of Nightmare Blue to tie them back to the rest of the figure even if only slightly.
       
      80079: Blackstar Corsair Delta


       
       
      80080: Blackstar Corsair Echo
       

       
      80078: Blackstar Corsair Charlie
       

       
      80076: Blackstar Corsair Alpha
       

       
      80077: Blackstar Corsair Bravo
       

       
       
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×