Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Davis

DSM5012 Lannister Lady in Waiting

The dress and hair are lovely! I really like the autumny orange you picked. 

• Like 1

That collar bone is an inspiration.

I imagine it was very frustrating before you learned the eyes are closed!  I've never even seen a mini with closed eyes before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goop said:

I've never even seen a mini with closed eyes before.

One of the strumpets from 02655: Townsfolk III is sculpted so that she's winking at a customer, and I think there are a couple of bards singing with their eyes closed as well... But it's not a common thing, since the eyes do so much for setting a character's expression.

You used to see more figures with closed eyes back in the old days - sleeping characters, singing drunks, an occasional spellcasting wizard, etc., but there aren't a lot of those types of figures being made these days.

I've always liked this figure and have been meaning to get one since I first saw her.

The color on the dress is wonderful.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

I think too, from personal experience, Tom Meier eyes are usually, especially in his modern work, extremely small, even when they are wide open!  This is beautiful all around!

• Like 2

Yup, the dress is awesome.  I also like the base; it's nothing too complex, but suits the mini.  There's no way she'd be wearing that dress anywhere except a castle with scrupulously clean floors.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Heisler
      Okay, we do have some manufacturer awards for the Reaper Con 2018 Painting Competition. This is what I know so far:
      Dark Sword: 
      Dark Sword Diorama Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Diorama
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Diorama

Dark Sword Single Miniature Category:

$150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Single Miniature
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Single Miniature

Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms Anthropomorphic Animals Open Category:
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our Critter Kingdoms minis.
      $150 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + $100 Cash + Trophy for best overall Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms
      $100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Critter Kingdoms

Dark Sword Young Painter Category (Age 13 and under):
      Can be either a single miniature or a diorama - simply carving out a separate category for our young painters.

$100 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for best overall Dark Sword Young Painter
      $50 in Dark Sword Online Store Credit + Ribbon for 2nd place Dark Sword Young Painter

The Dark Sword Miniatures Manufacturer Awards are open to all painters. To be eligible for the prize support listed, the entries must be new entries, never before posted online or entered into any other painting competitions. In addition, no entries can be commissions from Dark Sword Miniatures for painted studio models. This means Dark Sword studio painters can enter if they so desire, but their entries must be brand new creations not commissioned from Dark Sword and must also adhere to the eligibility requirements above.

Kabuki - 300 Euro Prize for the best Kabuki Miniature, regardless of category, in the painting competition. We are looking for a way to involve Rodolfo in the judging this year.

This first post in the thread will be updated with other manufacturers as we receive them.
    • By 72moonglum
      So from my painting fervor, this is the third miniature I finished this last week, and I think my favorite.  I actually took pictures of him yesterday to post, but when I looked at the pictures close up, I noticed he actually had a blade of grass on his head, right where his hair part was, so ended up having to re-photograph him. 

This figure came from the Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals Chaos Wars Kickstarter and Tom Meier sculpted up two new elves for them, in the 25 mm scale that the other elves were done in (other figures that he had sculpted  30-40 years ago).  There was a comparable figure he had done that was also and elf with an axe and shield that some day I'd like to paint as well, but here is his modern version of it. 

I really wanted to give his hair and skin a pale, ethereal look and wanted the colors too to not be to harsh with the clothing and weapons.  I was surprised that he ended up actually being a pretty easy figure to paint, despite the small size.  The only difficult part of this mini in all honesty was his eyes, which Tom Meier kind of made "proportionate", so they weren't exaggeratedly large like lots of figures are sculpted with.  This has both good and bad parts. The good of course is you have a beautifully proportionate figure, the bad of course if you have to see what you can do with this little pindrops of eyes.  I think I actually managed to do okay with them.  I considered eye brows but then in the end decided against it, figuring in theory they would be such a light color they would hardly show anyway. 

And to give you a size of this miniature, here's a comparison shot against a US quarter:

After painting this figure, it really puts me in the frame of mind that I'd like to paint more of Meier's contemporary stuff, like what he's done for Dark Sword for example.  

• By Pingo
      These gorgeous wolves (Thunderbolt Mountain 8560) are the nicest giant wolf sculpts I have ever seen. They are by the legendary Tom Meier.

IMPORTANT: TOM MEIER IS CLOSING HIS THUNDERBOLT MOUNTAIN STORE DEC. 25 OF THIS YEAR, SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, GO THERE NOW!

They are pretty big.  I mounted them on 1.5" fender washers for extra stability.  Tom Meier sells optional goblin riders for them.

WIP thread with extensive color notes, painting details, and comparison to other wolf figures here.

• Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)