Sign in to follow this  
Boaz

Cake Pillars on your table top ?

That right guys and gals their not just for wedding cakes ... I like to fill mine with expanding foam (when I have a few foam projects lined up, the can of foam never works for me later so it's a use it or lose it) chop em up (once dry) and butter the ends with something rough and stout (I used flexall) ... a few examples from a city set I was working on before I moved (still unfinnished) ...

RuinR.thumb.jpg.6f25dbbb9bb02f62cb9166e5457fe4be.jpgRuinL.thumb.jpg.124cfc4809e508b00f9d91e2fae2a981.jpgRuinC.thumb.jpg.0f4c82b9fc46c74df5ed8735f67410b4.jpg

cities abound in hard cover so it's mostly for looks, nice looks but looks ... in a jungle or desert set it's a great way to add hard cover and have an overgrown lost temple (jungle) or lost oasis side ruins (desert) ... it's a simple and straight forward technique to add just the right sized cover in just about any table set you got ...

I got a large bag of them fairly cheap at a craft store (Michesls) a great value for the buck.

P.S. the Grey rubble is old model sprew rum through an old hand crank meat grinder ... who knew modeling could be so much fun !

Edited by Boaz
  • Like 18

Yup, I've got some of those around here somewhere, I just haven't gotten around to using them yet.

Good work on your ruins.

I've got a bunch in different sizes awaiting use.  I even picked up a bunch of the 8 inch ones from the Goodwill for a buck.  I like the idea of filling them with expanding foam.  I might just have to steal that.

• Like 2

Another great use of pillars ... statue bases, a short pillar with a mini mounted to it painted to match your city / ruins terrain set, standing tall or broken at the ankles and lying next to the pillar ... great character addition to a terrain set.

• Like 1

I've got a bunch I use with Frostgrave.  I like the expanding foam - it's gotta be easier than the cork endplugs I made for mine.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack
      About this project
      The Story
      Hello again from Munchkin Metropolis!  This time around I'm targeting all of you Roleplay Gamers!  With my DIY Dungeon Kit you can now take your game nights to a whole new level.  Being able to customize your dungeons into the format you want makes being a game master so much more fun!  Below you'll see the Base Set that includes the 4 most popular sets, plus the Stretch Goal Furniture Set.  The miniatures pictured are not included in your reward (I just wanted to show how I personally utilize this setup)...Other than that, the picture is exactly what you'll receive. 
      Too Much Information
      I've recently been to the Doc and have been placed on a very strict diet and workout regimen (Working out isn't that strict, it's just 30min of light cardio daily).  But he told me not to do anything overly physical, which for a woodworker means I can't really work.  So, to save my heart and keep my business afloat, I've chosen a campaign that utilizes the laser for 80% of the work...with the remaining 20% being light physical duty.
      Due to the sheer weight of these items, I've worked to minimize the cost on materials and labor as much as possible.   The base set weighs almost 15lb and will ship in a 12x12x6 corrugated box.  Making each set is 8 hours of laser time and about 2 hours physical labor (Which is why I set the delivery date 2 months out instead of 1...but for you early backers, expect me to start shipping rewards within a week of the campaign ending.)  Mostly, I wanted to GUARANTEE delivery before Christmas.  By setting it to October, I will have plenty of time to handle anything that comes up. 
      The base set already includes the 4 most popular Expansions and will make an AWESOME Christmas Gift!  
      The floor pieces are designed so that you can expand into infinity to make those LARGE scale battle zones.  
      You'll choose either 1 or 2 inch per expansion. Each Wall Expansion is designed to be as versatile as your campaign!  
      A Base Set ready to ship (The Furniture Set is in the bag)  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rwgdesign/the-do-it-yourself-dungeon-kit
    • By lexomatic
      This is ending in 50 hours... Haven't seen it posted. There's a thread from 2015 for other tiles. I'm intrigued by the digital option.

• By Brianuk
      Have put together some rough ground by sticking some resin basing bits from Scibor ("elven ruins") with foam off cuts and rocks from other models. Then just started painting the whole thing as basically a rockery. The idea is to add a bit of snow effect, and some lichen etc or trees when it is on the table. 

I have then started on a set of ruined buildings for Frostgrave. These are just foam pieces rolled with a green stuff world roller and stuck onto a wooden orange box left over from Christmas. As I shop at over priced supermarkets this was made out of some quite serviceable MDF/wood. It had holes cut into it already which I tried to use in the terrain. Am using balsa to stick ledges onto the inside and balsa floorboards on top. 

Will add more grime and then some snow effect. Will also think about using some water effects in the well/drain. 

Then, I made some little notice boards (as am a fan of Witcher 3) and my wife made some posters for them. 

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      Welcome to Undead Graveyard! 
      These graveyard elements add a thematic scenery to a simple board, with high quality resin pieces. In an easy and fun way you can turn any board into your private graveyard of the Undead Realms with our tombstones.
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      This set is composed of 20 different tombstones models with an older style, half buried in the ground. They are ideal to decorate any playing surface or create dioramas and give life to your darkest ideas!
      UNDEAD AWAKENS
      Use the powers of your necromancer to give life to the undead who will awaken to destroy the souls of those who stand in your way.
      Available models:
      Fantastic static grass to decorate your scenery and miniatures: "Dead Grass" specially designed by Pablo el Marques and we show it to you in our campaign first.
      Each bag contains 2 grams of static grass.

• By Brianuk
      I put together this Barrow from xps foam and a decopage cardboard treasure chest lid. I used a greenstuff world roller to texture the doorway and landing outside. It is all stuck together with super glue. 

I was keen to make sure that there were flat areas for based minis in the front and at the rear. My minor mistake was making the rear plinth/hill a bit too narrow after sticking on the rear wall section, hence cutting out a slit. 

When all the glue has dried I will prime it with a mix of mod podge and black paint. Then I will flock the top. I need to decide whether to make this snowy or green. I think that snow will cover more model making sins... 

• Who's Online   41 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)