TheAuldGrump

Richard Pett's 'The Blight'

18 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Ixnay onway hetay poilerssay.

Don't worry - these are things that will be revealed at the beginning of the scenarios.

The Auld Grump

Okay.... It is possible that I am strange....

I am currently working on a prestige class for my The Blight Pathfinder game (next up in rotation)...

The class is pretty much based on London Black Cab drivers....

The reason it's a prestige class - there are 'shortcuts' that are literally shorter than the distance traveled, Some are by the bonny (or straight) road (through high Faerie) some are by the low road (the paths of the dead) and some are by the dark road (shadows) - and there will be an encounter, no matter the road traveled.

The broad road is no safer than the low road. The dark road no more dangerous than the broad.

And all the shortcuts are more dangerous, or at least differently dangerous,  than the normal streets - just faster.

Each shortcut is to similar places - a shortcut through an alley next to a Dim Street shambles may come out an alley across town, next to a briny slaughterhouse at the docks. But there will always be similarities.

From a small dirt littered park to a well tended garden would be a broad road trip, while the shambles to the slaughterhouse would be the dark road.

A test - one of the high road entries has a gated entrance - a thin trickle of water crosses in front of the entry, coins - both green with verdigris and shining new, cover the bottom of the stream. Brightly colored rags are tied to the bars of the gate. When silver or gold coins are tossed in the stream, sometimes a fish, far too large to be swimming in the inches deep trickle, will leap to pluck the coins from the air, before they reach the water 

What are people's takes on such an entry?

And when you are told that when you toss the coins in the water, always toss them in pairs, and always the same type of coin?

The Auld Grump - the Cabby will know the fare and the toll....

• Like 2

Doodling up a couple of generic watch stations, and one specific.

Constables use rattles to tell people to move out of the way, whistles to call more troopers.

The specific constabulary station is a nasty one - the cells are in the basement, and a lift is used to go up and down - but the construct that drives the lift is awakened, and hungry.

When the coppers have a prisoner that they want to get rid of, sometimes they put him alone in the lift, when the lift is brought back up, there will be no sign of the prisoner.

But the lift knows better than to do anything when a constable is on the lift, even alone.

The Auld Grump - that is also the most fortified of the watch stations - and has two portcullises that can be dropped in the entry - trapping attackers in a killing zone. 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Okay.... It is possible that I am strange.

Possible?

Was it ever in doubt?

that when you toss the coins in the water, always toss them in pairs, and always the same type of coin?

One to get in, the other to get out?

• Like 1

Okay.... It is possible that I am strange....

I am currently working on a prestige class for my The Blight Pathfinder game (next up in rotation)...

The class is pretty much based on London Black Cab drivers....

The reason it's a prestige class - there are 'shortcuts' that are literally shorter than the distance traveled, Some are by the bonny (or straight) road (through high Faerie) some are by the low road (the paths of the dead) and some are by the dark road (shadows) - and there will be an encounter, no matter the road traveled.

The broad road is no safer than the low road. The dark road no more dangerous than the broad.

And all the shortcuts are more dangerous, or at least differently dangerous,  than the normal streets - just faster.

Each shortcut is to similar places - a shortcut through an alley next to a Dim Street shambles may come out an alley across town, next to a briny slaughterhouse at the docks. But there will always be similarities.

From a small dirt littered park to a well tended garden would be a broad road trip, while the shambles to the slaughterhouse would be the dark road.

A test - one of the high road entries has a gated entrance - a thin trickle of water crosses in front of the entry, coins - both green with verdigris and shining new, cover the bottom of the stream. Brightly colored rags are tied to the bars of the gate. When silver or gold coins are tossed in the stream, sometimes a fish, far too large to be swimming in the inches deep trickle, will leap to pluck the coins from the air, before they reach the water 

What are people's takes on such an entry?

And when you are told that when you toss the coins in the water, always toss them in pairs, and always the same type of coin?

Love it!

Really glad the Blight is the humble bundle. Looking forward to reading it...

I dreamed that I was running The Blight for the kids game... so, at the camp out next week that is exactly what I am doing. (Somewhat toned down. I liked the way I handled it in my dream.)

The Auld Grump - the site check on Wednesday night meant actually sleeping at the camp... I really want my bed tonight. ::): Gettin' old.

So I read the Players Guide, and while it was great for building a blight character, I found it rather lacking for failing to provide a concise "intro to the Blight" description. 

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

So I read the Players Guide, and while it was great for building a blight character, I found it rather lacking for failing to provide a concise "intro to the Blight" description. 

There are two players books for The Blight - one is The Guide, and the other is a Player's Handbook.

No, I don't know why they split the players books in two.... And neither is exactly a 'concise intro to The Blight'... The Guide has a lot of flavor, but not a whole lot of solid info.

In part that is deliberate - like Dicken's London, a lot of Castorhagers only know their little area - entire dialects can differ from one block to the next. (I am brushing up on my rhyming slang and Mummerset.)

I like the Guide, but it's not all that useful.

For rail engines, I have decided that The Blight has reached about the 4-4-0 American or the 0-4-0 Planet level of technology - undead power is slower, but less expensive, and lower maintenance. (The 4-4-0 needed to spend about half its time in the shop.) Mid 1800s steam tech, that is mostly overlooked in favor of good old fashioned Necromancy. (The Blight even has ironclads, and factories that belch out smoke by day and by night, blanketing the city in soot and smog.)

0-4-0.jpg

(Stevenson's Planet Class)

So, there is steam power, but no Vernian steampunk. Think Metropolis.

Flintlock pistols, not percussion caps.

Guns Everywhere, but no super duper high tech guns - guns are cheap, but not advanced.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

It is possible that I am trying to use The Blight to convince myself to buy this -

C.Tramp_Steamer.Web_01_LRG.jpg

C.Tramp_Steamer.Web_LRG.jpg

Miniature Scenery also has some buildings that would fit - for Wyrd's Malifaux, I think -

T.Carver.Web_LRG.jpg

Oddly enough, the line of buildings is called Twisted City, close enough to Crooked City for Jazz.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It is possible that I am trying to use The Blight to convince myself to buy this -

C.Tramp_Steamer.Web_01_LRG.jpg

C.Tramp_Steamer.Web_LRG.jpg

Miniature Scenery also has some buildings that would fit - for Wyrd's Malifaux, I think -

T.Carver.Web_LRG.jpg

Oddly enough, the line of buildings is called Twisted City, close enough to Crooked City for Jazz.

The Auld Grump

Do it... 

• Like 1

We've been putting our spare funds into Bones 4.

But that ship would only make sense if it belongs to the PCs, having one encounter with it would be a waste and a half.

It looks like the love child of a galleon and the ship from King King.

What kind of game would have to be going on for the PCs to need a ship like that?