Xiwo Xerase

77210 Sarah the Seeress: Xiwo Xerase tries painting with the Fair Skin triad

As part of my tour through the Reaper MSP skin triads (and eventually the HD and Bones skin paints), I decided to tackle the Fair Skin triad next.  This might have been a bad idea.  Oh well, nothing ventured...

5ae017c6d8812_2018042377210FrontHalf.thumb.jpg.3100ce1e812b394918df65b56d2b0fb4.jpg5ae017c5de76b_2018042377210BackHalf.thumb.jpg.e3e61ec54e187ac5a48674ecda42a54b.jpg5ae017c7b7287_2018042377210RightHalf.thumb.jpg.1cd460b785dc96731e750b09d28cdbf8.jpg

Thus far, I have painted her skin and done the base coat for her hair.  This time out, I'm trying to paint one section at a time, so everything else has only seen a Brown Liner wash.  (This will hopefully help me keep track of what I've painted.)

Her skin has been done using the Fair Skin triad.  I tried using 09069 Rosy Highlight to put some red on her cheeks but I don't think it's worked well so far.  Her lips, fingernails, and toenails were done using a mix of 09067 Rosy Shadow and 09279 Fresh Blood.

Her hair is thus far painted with 09071 Chestnut Brown.

These are the colors I currently plan on using for midtones:

5ae01a4b25891_20180423Colors.jpg.d232bb81b5c05429e6e2af5aa4226345.jpg

• 09047 Fair Skin will be the midtone for her skin
  • 09071 Chestnut Brown will the midtone for her hair and her staff
  • 09030 Leather Brown will be the midtone for her corset, leather jewelry, sandals, and the wrap on her staff
  • 09226 Peacock Green will be the midtone for her dress
  • 09430 Polished Leather will the midtone for her pouch
  • 29846 HD Spruce Green will the midtone for the beads on the leather cords (or I assume they're beads)

I haven't decided whether I will use Peacock Green or Spruce Green to paint the orbs (one in her staff, one in her hand).

The base will probably feature a gray-ish paint (e.g. 09433 Mountain Stone) and some hints of moss via the Moss Colors triad.

Things I need to do with the skin and face:

• Review it with less tired eyes and make changes.
  • Deepen some of the shadows.  Any suggestions?  My instinct is to try using 09044 Tanned Skin or 09045 Tanned Highlight.
  • Clean up around her lips and her fingernails.
  • Add a shadow between her toes.
  • Fix her eyes.  I thought her right eye looked fine but, ye gods, in the picture... Her left eye got hit by a pool of Rosy Highlight when I was trying to glaze her cheek so the pupil/iris needs to be redone.  (I may try to add an iris in the style of dks' eye tutorial if I have to go back in and redo the eyes.)  I believe the sclera looks fine.

I should probably do these before I do more work on her hair lest I forget.

• Like 15

Tanned Skin and Highlight can extend the Fair triad reasonably well. You may also consider a slightly more grey-brown too. 

• Like 2

If you start with a Rosy Skin Highlight as base and then use the Fair triad I find it more realistic of caucasian skin.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If you start with a Rosy Skin Highlight as base and then use the Fair triad I find it more realistic of caucasian skin.

I agree with this.  The last time I used the fair skin triad I used:

Chestnut brown

Rosy shadow

Rosy skin

Fair skin

Fair highlight

White

The fair shadow doesn't seem like it has enough red in it somehow.

When you are adding colour to the cheeks, you could try using very very thin transparent red.  I find it adds just a touch of color without needing to be blended with the surrounding areas of skin.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Tanned Skin and Highlight can extend the Fair triad reasonably well. You may also consider a slightly more grey-brown too. 

Any suggestions for the grey-brown?  I'm away from my paints.

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thanks.  I'll try this on a future mini.  I think her midtone is fine right now but she needs more shadows for definition.  (And maybe a different, darker background for photos.)

8 hours ago, Geoff Davis said:

I agree with this.  The last time I used the fair skin triad I used:

Chestnut brown

Rosy shadow

Rosy skin

Fair skin

Fair highlight

White

The fair shadow doesn't seem like it has enough red in it somehow.

When you are adding colour to the cheeks, you could try using very very thin transparent red.  I find it adds just a touch of color without needing to be blended with the surrounding areas of skin.

Thanks.  I'll try this on a future mini, or on this one if Tanned Highlight and Tanned Skin don't work out.

Thanks for the suggestion for the cheeks.  I'll try that.

I won't be getting any work on her done tonight.  I'm on no more than four hours of sleep thanks to a late night work activity and then having to be in the office at the normal time and I'm concerned I won't be awake enough to paint details properly.

• Like 3

Might just put a tiny mix of gray into the Fair Shadow. I also agree with a wee bit of pink for fair skin, but VERY delicately. Too much and she'll look sunburned. Too little and she'll verge on albinism. Just right, and she'll have a fleshy blush. To me, rosy skin is easy to go into the "recovering from a sunburn" zone, but it can be used well too. 

• Like 2

Since the last post, I redid her eyes, made a mess of her face, tried to recover from that, finished highlighted her hair, and painted her dress.

622037209_2018051477210FrontHalf.thumb.jpg.cf196bb78a8dc1e848061ba33d21a964.jpg34272423_2018051477210RightHalf.thumb.jpg.085ebf6349ba50d29ea88063eac74d2c.jpg1569345944_2018051477210BackHalf.thumb.jpg.ca9e8f04e49ecf79663c60ddb8485a6b.jpg

(You can click on the images for larger versions.)

I ended up using 09045 Tanned Highlight and 09043 Tanned Shadow for deeper shadows.

I think I'm happy with the way her dress looks.  The base coat is 09226 Peacock Green, highlighted up to 09227 Brilliant Green, 09228 Viper Green, and then a small amount of 09248 Moth Green, and shadowed with 09236 Black Green and a 2:1 09236 Black Green/09022 Nightshade Purple mix.

Next up:

• Add shadows back to her face again.
  • Add a small amount of blush to her cheeks.
  • Soften the lines around her calf muscles in the front.
  • And then onward!  First the wood of the staff, then the leather bits, including her bag, girdle, sandals, and so on.

On the top of her bag (you can see this in the (mislabeled) left side shot), is that a book peeking out?  Or is that just more of the bag?

• Like 17

Her hair is really beautiful! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Her hair is really beautiful! 

Thanks!  I spent a lot of time on it. 

I forgot: Since the first picture, I repainted the hair with Walnut Brown and highlighted it up through Mahogany Brown, Chestnut Brown, Rust Brown, Leather White, and Linen White, mostly with sidebrushing.  This seemed simpler than leaving it Chestnut Brown and then laying in shadows.

5 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Love the dress!!

Thanks!  I'm happy with how it came out.  I'll have to be really careful when painting the leather bits, especially those cords in the front.  (Is there a better term for those?) 

• Like 2

Painting has been slow going because I haven't had free time when I have enough focus.  But here's where she stands now:

1625760690_2018060977210FrontHalf.thumb.jpg.2886884272e6f388f0ffa0aed60b360d.jpg535835257_2018060977210RightHalf.thumb.jpg.41cebf52e2ff2b281ac61e50697aa667.jpg1688068365_2018060977210BackHalf.thumb.jpg.ced219ffdecaf6c7d2782934edc40f69.jpg716869644_2018060977210LeftHalf.thumb.jpg.86213261a15b06d3fc0a94e1e4f687db.jpg

I'm currently working on her staff.  I've been putting off working on her face.

There's an errant stroke on her dress from when I was painting her bodice which I need to fix.  (I can barely see it in hand, so this is an advantage of pictures.)  Her right hand needs to be cleaned up too.  And apparently I forgot to shade her leather bracelets so I'll need to do that too.  (In retrospect, they're probably supposed to be metal but leather made more sense at the time.)

In case you were wondering, the bit peeking out of her bag that you can see on the left side is a book.  I think I need to line between the bag and the book to better differentiate the two leather colors.

• Like 13

I should really post pictures less than a month apart, although I haven't been able to paint much.

77210 Sarah the Seeress, Front77210 Sarah the Seeress, Left77210 Sarah the Seeress, Rear77210 Sarah the Seeress, Right

I worked some on her face.  I think she still needs work (fixing some darkening I tried doing around the lips, adding shadows to her right cheek, and eyebrows).  I also got a small amount of paint on her hair.

I lined her headband in front and between her book and bag.  I think those look good.

Most of the work I've been doing has been on her staff.  I'm working on the metal at the head of the staff, then I'll come back and work on the beads and gemstones.  And clean up her right hand.

And then on to the orb!

• Like 9