Morihalda

Getting to Know You, May 2018

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

My husband and I had an incredible server at a restaurant recently and we exchanged wild stories. We try to be super nice customers because we understand the pain....

May 8: Do you have the patience and willpower for customer service or retail industries? Do you have any crazy stories?

Nope, still managed 10 years on the customer services desk at a local Post Office though.

No crazy stories though. Just a couple armed robberies and regularly dealing with angry, aggressive people who were often high or drunk or both (Don't know how it works in other countries, but in the UK the Post Office used to be where people on benefits got their money from (And still is for people who can't open a bank account), not an issue most of the time, but a few of them were rather nasty individuals).

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

My husband and I had an incredible server at a restaurant recently and we exchanged wild stories. We try to be super nice customers because we understand the pain....

May 8: Do you have the patience and willpower for customer service or retail industries? Do you have any crazy stories?

No and no.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I really don't. I worked retail in a pet store many years ago, but I don't have any non-depressing stories to share. :mellow:

(It wasn't really a bad experience over-all, but the first stories that come to mind are not nice.)

• Like 7

I could probably do it, in the right circumstances.  I am considering a retirement career as a Ren Fest Jewelry artist, but then I like the Ren Fest crowd.

When I was in college in Mankato, MN, I worked for a summer as a cook at the local Hardee's.  The Hardee's in question happened to be next to the off campus hip bar.  Since I also had my internship job, I always worked the closing shift.  As a large beefy guy, I also served as our unofficial bouncer, which was fine from June through July.  All I ever had to do was to suggest that a few rowdy folks and drunks leave, etc...  Everything changed in August, as the MN Vikings came to campus for their summer training.  I'm not a sports guy, so I really didn't realize how this might affect me.

One Friday night, shortly after they came to town, I was working.  It was about 9:45, and we had a fairly long line that night for some reason.  I had just thrown down a full grill of quarters and was preparing to fill the fry bin when the front door slammed open and in walked 3 of the largest men I had ever seen.  The leader walked up to the front counter, grabbed another client by the shoulders and shoved her aside; then banging his fist on the counter began yelling at the young lady who was our cashier that night, "Give me ELFING 10 ELFING bacon cheeseburgers and 5 large fries right mother-ELFING NOW!!!  It ain't out here in ELFING 30 seconds, I'll be late and you motherELFERS will have to pay the $10,000 fine I'll get for missing ELFING curfew." 

I looked at the grill, the patties still had 3 min to go and there were only 8.  Like a Vegas card dealer, I threw out frozen patties and filled all grill tops slapping them down and then ran up front to save the now shaking and terrified girl (I think she was about 16).

I explained to the guy that the hamburgers were still cooking and that it would be at least 6 minutes before I could give him 10 that weren't at least partly raw.

He got right up into my face and shouted, "Thats ELFING ELFED! I want my ELFING burgers now, ELFER."  (This guy had more uses for the word ELF than I knew had existed back then.)

I looked him in the eye and said I could serve them to him right now, but they would be under-cooked.  If he was willing to sign a release clearing me of wrongdoing should he get ill, I would be glad to serve them to him immediately. At this point, his two buddys were looking very ashamed and were starting to try to get him to leave.

"I ain't ELFING leaving without my ELFING burgers!  I ain't signing ELFING anything for this prick. You probably just want my ELFING autograph."

I looked him up and down and said, "Why would I want that?"

"Because I'm ELFING ________ _____________, that's ELFING why." he shouted.

And before I could stop myself, I said, "Who?"

He just stopped, glaring at me, boiling a head of steam inside, his buddies positioning to grab his arms.  Just then the timer on the grill started beeping.

"Ah," I said, "Your burgers are done, sir." and I ducked into the kitchen, threw his burgers together very quickly, sacked them and gave them to him, on the house.  His buddies ushered him out.  As soon as the doors closed the store gave me a standing ovation and I went back to making their burgers. 

And that is the story of how I bought a football star a meal (I had to pay for the burgers out of my check, but it was worth it to get rid of him; and I got a good story).

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I used to work retail & IT customer support. I no longer have the willpower or desire for customer service, even though everyone else seems to think I do a great job at it.

No crazy stories. 

• Like 8

I spent 4 years working at my flcs, 2 years before that as a college tour guide, and years after as the front desk guy in a variety of offices. So yeah... 

There were certainly lots of crazy stories, mostly from the comic shop. Catching a couple of thieves. Avoiding involvement with the FBI for selling bootleg movies by having left the job a few months earlier. The woman who offered to "model" if the store would bump up the price we'd offered for her collection. All the late night shenanigans (no, you don't get to hear those). The long time customer who got pissy because on my first day I didn't know he was the exception to a rule. The furries, stormtroopers, and cosplayers were always a blast. Good times!

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I worked retail for several years in high school and college so I do tend to have patience for retail workers, and I am pretty forgiving of servers in restaurants, etc. in part because so many people stiff servers or have unreasonable expectations from servers. Pretty much with customer service, retail, etc., I ask that they be polite and professional and I'm good to go so to speak. 

As for funny stories, in high school I worked at an office/school supply store. We sold everything from filing cabinets to bulletin board decorations for teachers, etc. Anyway, we always had bulletin boards up in the store that changed with the season designed to draw shoppers to certain areas, etc. They were largely modeled the same way a grade school teacher might do theirs, etc. One year we had a board that was arctic themed (I can't recall why) but anyway, we had put up a headline along the lines of "Explore The Amazing Arctic" or somesuch. I was always in charge of proofreading the boards because spelling was something I was generally decent at and we were a small store and the owners while very good businesspeople were not good at spelling. So a customer comes in and very pointedly tells us "You know your bulletin board back there is spelled wrong." 

Me (looking at the board and frowning): Oh really? Well thanks, we'll look into that.

Customer: Yes, its spelled A-R-T-I-C

Me: Hmmm, thanks, I thought I had looked up to make sure, but I must have missed it. (while thinking, I know I double checked it)

Customer: Well I would know because I'm an editor of the (insert local newspaper name here).

Me (no longer able to resist because he was being so pompous, grabbing the dictionary and turning to the proper spelling arctic): Hmmm, says here we have it right.

Customer: *eyes narrow*

Quick aside before the punchline: A few months before that, the paper had run an article on the Enola Gay exhibit at the Smithsonian and the protests/controversy surrounding it given that it was commemorating the dropping of an atomic bomb. The headline for the article read "Enola Homosexual Exhibit Causes Controversy" because a) They didn't know that the Enola Gay was an airplane and b) They didn't know it was named after the pilot's mother.

Me: By the way, what is the current state of the Enola Homosexual exhibit at the Smithsonian?

Customer: *Storms out of the store*

My Boss: You know, normally I would yell at you for that, but that @$$&*^# had it coming.

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Yes and Yes but not the thick skin.

• Like 5

On 5/3/2018 at 12:17 AM, Morihalda said:

May 3: Do you know a second (or more!) language or would you like to learn one someday?

Yes! I want to learn more, but...

Ich spreche Deutsch.

Hablo Español.

Watashi ha nihongo wo hanashi masu. (Kana is too much of a pain to type without a japanese keyboard installed, as is kanji.)

So, in English:

I speak German. At an elementary level - 3 semesters college instruction. I took German in college (1A, 1B, 1C).

I speak Spanish. At one point, I was fluent in written and read Spanish...equivalent of 4 semesters college instruction. I had elementary instruction in 4th-6th grades, middle school instruction in 7-8th grade, High School Spanish levels I-III, and one college level Spanish class (2A).

I speak Japanese. Still only at a very basic level. I can read at a 2nd year elementary school equivalent. I'm learning via Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, and various workbooks.

On 5/4/2018 at 1:10 AM, Morihalda said:

May 4: Star Wars thing! What other geek* hobbies or shows are you into? Mini painting is assumed here. ;)

*I hesitate to use the word "geek" here as meanings and connotations change quickly. Many "nerdy" things 15 years ago have become "mainstream." Language is wild! 

...while I'm not into anything right now, per say, I have been obsessively into many things. To the best of my abilities:

- Dinosaurs (my obsession until I was around 8)

- Castles, Medieval Europe

- The Tudor Family

- Arthurian Legends

- Pokemon

- Digimon

- Computers (in general before, now a bit more focused on code and computational theory)

- Mathematics - particularly statistics

- Vampires

- Renaissance Artists

- History - I was just generally a history buff for a while. This meant I actually lugged around a compact encyclopedia as 'light reading' in middle school...That 'light reading' weighed at least 10 pounds...I thought I was funny.

- Doctor Who

- How I Met Your Mother 

- Role Playing; in writing on forums, etc.

- D&D and role playing systems in general

- Mythology

And numerous other interests which can change by the week. I know a lot of random facts because I can get obsessed with something one day, and then not care at all the next.

Oh! I almost forgot. Linguistics. Also, I loved Science Olympiad.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:51 PM, Morihalda said:

May 7: What part of the painting process are you good at?

I'm getting proud of my faces! I've been focusing a lot of effort on them, since I noticed most people only really pay attention to the face if they don't paint minis themselves.

Edited by Paradoxical Mouse
  • Like 10

I knew there were good reasons for us to be nerd-friends, @Paradoxical Mouse::): 

You have a heck of a language repertoire too, wowza! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I must because I worked retail, switchboard and reception for years.  It's mind numbing and unrewarding work, as you can tell by how fast those positions got replaced by smart phones and automated tellers.  I found that most of the unpleasant customers just needed some sympathy and acknowledgement and they would calm down and let me help them.  But I rarely got a thank you. The worst customers I got to refer to the manager. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I have far more stories than I could ever tell, and these forums are definitely not the right venue for some of them.

You know, it wasn't until I started to write that I realized that some of mine could definitely go to bees haha!

7 hours ago, Dai-Mongar said:

Honestly though, they're the exception and most people are perfectly nice. It's important not to fall victim to negative confirmation bias.

Very good point! <3

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Our server was having a rough go of it (it looked like he was covering someone else's section too) so my husband and I just hung out. Once it had calmed down, he came over to thank us and we got to chatting. He told us some wild stories about working in the food industry. Bless those servers.....

I held various retail jobs (and a bit of freight) for 8 years and then IT/Help Desk for 2 years. I was very good at the retail voice and personality.

It's been a year of no retail now though.... oh boy. No more. I would snap at the first willfully ignorant person to find me LOL.

I've had people try to return empty cardboard boxes for full refunds (I opened it and they got really mad),

return a lawnmower because it wasn't working anymore (they didn't put gas in it - I was super nice to their face but I did laugh a lot during my break),

tell me I don't know my department and try to find other people to help them (I got that one the most while working plumbing and firearms)....

I absolutely loved my gun counter group - we stuck together. If one of the guys noticed that someone walked away from me and started asking them the same questions, they would often give the same word for word response I did or say, "oh, you know Mori here has one of those, you should totally ask her!" :lol: I didn't always own one, I was under 21 at the time and technically couldn't buy half of the firearms I sold.... They used to tease me about it haha, if I was on break/off work and stopped by to chat, they would get super serious faces and ask if my guardian was here to supervise me. <_<

I got removed from that returns desk because I was too "straightforward" at one job, but was moved to loss prevention because of it at another. :rolleyes:

I made a couple of teenage girls cry because they tried to steal $500+ in athletic clothing and we caught them. When they said they wanted to be released because their parents would just pay for the clothing, I made a comment and then left the room so I wouldn't be the one walking out in cuffs. Patience dropped to 0!!

In IT, two different people intentionally broke their computers so they get to skip the wait line. I was furious.

I've been called into a manager's office because their keyboard was broken (a key popped off).

The most frustrating thing with Help Desk was having to coddle all these book smart people with degrees so they didn't feel insulted ("ohh haha, it's alright, it's happened before to other people, don't you worry about it" lady how did you do that I have literally never seen that in my life). I'd much rather deal with those folks than the ones that think they're know-it-alls and google just enough to pick up a few vocabulary words to be dangerous and derail entire meetings (that's not how this file system works at all, XP isn't even supported anymore, are you in 2003? Also yeeees you need an internet connection to transfer data between offices the way you're suggesting, hard drives don't just magically pair themselves up when they're sitting next to each other, let alone across statelines!).

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 11

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I've done both.

I'm doing one of those right now.

I routinely need to tell people with phds that a projector will not work if they remove the power cable to plug in their phone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I've done both.

I'm doing one of those right now.

I routinely need to tell people with phds that a projector will not work if they remove the power cable to plug in their phone.

Can confirm: academics often misplace common sense. 

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I am truly terrible at customer service. I spent my undergrad years as the world's worst waitress (at a 24 hour diner) and after that as possibly the angriest midnight shift gas station attendant you could meet. 

I would smoke leaning against the gas pumps to discourage people from coming in and I would confiscate fake ids from sorority girls (who were usually borrowing an older members id) and pin them to a board behind me like trophy collection. I am, however, an excellent tipper because I understand what they have to deal with. 

I had some crazy customers but I guess the craziest incident (and one I still tell at bars) is the one guy who came in the station to buy beer who was obviously underage so I refused to sell to him. This was at about midnight. He got very angry, there was shouting and threats, etc etc. He left but came back around 2AM, I guess to rob the place, but I had locked the main door and was serving people just through the little window that was near the register.

So I'm just behind the counter, reading a book and hear him try the door, so I come round to the door (I was just going to point at the window to whoever it was) and at the same time he tried to come through the window, and I kid you not, got stuck. Also, he didn't have a gun, he just had a knife. As I was no where near the window now I just called the police and listened to him shout and wave his knife around. Poor planning on his part. Cops thought it was hilarious. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 5