Morihalda

Getting to Know You, May 2018

No, I will buy a mini and not paint it, or paint it badly.  I am not intimidated by the quality of my paint job, just the work of painting.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 15: Is there a mini or model that you love but have been too afraid to paint? 

Not necessarily as it's more set aside for the time being due to lack of space, but arguably my Minotaur Demon Lord comes to mind as fitting into this category. 

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

All of them. :ph34r:

(purple) Next time don't animate them before painting.  I've heard it works wonders for magical stuff.  Problem is you've probably animated your desk and brushes too by now... (end purple) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 15: Is there a mini or model that you love but have been too afraid to paint? 

Fear is a strong word.  I will say for me personally, there is an intimidation factor with some pieces.

I have a few resin models that have ~20 pieces, and are very intricate.  I worry about breaking or loosing the small pieces. 

I also get apprehensive with really large models because of the time necessary to complete. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Lots of them.  I love the sculpts and I love other painted examples but I'm afraid to paint them because I'm worried I won't do the figure justice.  One example is 02835: Jolie, Female Scribe.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

The Big'Uns. i.e. Kaladrax, Nerthymaul, Cthulu, Ma'al Drakar, etc.

Since they are really large and cannot be easily shoved in a shoebox, in my mind considers them display pieces that need to represent the best I can do, which I keep imagining is never good enough.

That and my lack of display cases/stands/cabinets (I really need to drop by Ikea after I move).

To another degree, female minis, because women deserve the best! Even if they are technically anthropomorphized plastic/metal toys. So completely ignoring them is somehow... more respectful? (Yeah, my brain doesn't make sense of it either)

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Not really. 

The solution to this ^ dilemma ^ is to buy three*** of the miniature in question. 

One to ruin, One try again with, and One for the shelf of hope (where unpainted, pristine miniatures reside, hoping you will get better enough with paint to do them justice).

Edited by TGP
***This completely fails if you wanted to field them as a unit of three.
  • Like 9
  • Haha 4

Paint? No.  But there are a couple I'm afraid to remove from the bag and assemble, due to size and quantity of pieces. 

• Like 10

Yes and no? I have "Farewell" by Nocturna, and I absolutely love that model, but I don't want to make it too.... simple? I also worry about my tendency to get a grainy surface for it. The resin is so beautifully smooth! I have schemed color plans on it though. Others kinda similar troubles, mostly the larger scale stuff, but less prominent in my mind. My main problem is not painting fast enough to get to all my minis. Now that I've done the Dark Sword ranger, I'm actually more confident on their stuff, but sometimes I just want a simple figure instead. I suspect that I'll be doing more simple ones in the future for the sake of time, until I get settled in a new area. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, TGP said:

One for the shelf of hope (where unpainted, pristine miniatures reside, hoping you will get better enough with paint to do them justice).

I never had a name for it until now but this is my exact sentiment.  I have only painted one metal mini because i want to be "good enough" to paint those. The Bones ones i am less afraid of painting because they're less expensive. Don't ask me how i rationalize this in my brain. This forum has proven that rational thought has very little to do with mini painting. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

noap

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

One to ruin, One try again with, and One for the shelf of hope (where unpainted, pristine miniatures reside, hoping you will get better enough with paint to do them justice).

I don't have a Shelf of Hope. I have a Shelf of Soon. I'll paint it.... "soon". 

• Like 6

Anyone who thinks I am afraid to paint has not looked closely at my style. ::P:

... Hmm. That’s not quite true. I’ve gotten very tense on “group paints” because I don’t like the idea of my ... exuberant paint usage messing up someone else’s work.  :unsure:

• Like 9

On 5/14/2018 at 1:39 AM, Morihalda said:

May 14: What is your favorite way to relieve or temporarily escape stress?

Used to be sculpting/painting, but then I businessized that so now it is more often than not a source of stress.  Now I dance like a fool in my basement for 45 minutes a night for cardio and health.

Used to be, but not anymore.  Now my skill isn't an issue, time is.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

(purple) Next time don't animate them before painting.  I've heard it works wonders for magical stuff.  Problem is you've probably animated your desk and brushes too by now... (end purple) 

You have no idea how handy that can be. ^_^

latest?cb=20140526025809

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Anyone who thinks I am afraid to paint has not looked closely at my style. ::P:

I think you're afraid of painting... YOUR TONGUE! Especially with the wonderfully intense zinc/cadmium oxides.

[A ghostly voice on the wind says: "Taste the weasel!"]

In my dreams, I see Pingo licking freshly painted yellow school buses.

• Haha 7