Hey guys,

Well - lamenting about the hardships of life and suddenly after I am asked if I could prepare two figures for a roleplaying game. Life can be a biasz.

So now I am looking for one or two 25mm or 30mm bases in a sci fi city style.

Like those or similar:

Infinity-Urban-Bases-Round-25mm-5.jpg

I normally would make them myself, but I cannot access my box of wonders currently and I will not be able to do so for the next two weeks. And I don't want to buy a 5 or 20 pieces box just for one or two bases. Anyone know where I can get them as single bases? Or does anyone have a single base and can help me out?

7582720_4794.jpg

Best regards

Sister

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Battlefield Berlin German webshop sells exactly these in packs of 5.

Look under Bases and then Micro Art Studio / Urban Rubble/concrete.

I haven't seen them as single bases anywhere.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Battlefield Berlin German webshop sells exactly these in packs of 5.

Look under Bases and then Micro Art Studio / Urban Rubble/concrete.

Yeah I know. But that would cost me 10 Euro (including shipping) and that's for 2 bases I need. It is quite expensive, I think. Same goes for FantasyWelt.

That's the reason I asked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Yeah I know. But that would would cost me 10 Euro (including shipping) and that's for 2 bases I need. It is quite expensive, I think. Same goes for FantasyWelt.

That's the reason I asked.

Yeah that is a bummer.

Like I said I haven't seen single bases of this size  being sold anywhere.

You could try Ebay, but again, shipping will probably more expensive if it is just one 25mm base.

Maybe a forumite might have a spare left?

I only have Fantasy style ones left, else I would have sent you one.

The ones with Asphalt could be made without much effort from the look of it.

Maybe some very fine sand ( bird cage sand?) spray black and add a little bottle or can to it from GS?

I think that will be the cheaper and faster option.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The ones with Asphalt could be made without much effort from the look of it.

Maybe some very fine sand ( bird cage sand?) spray black and add a little bottle or can to it from GS?

I think that will be the cheaper and faster option.

I normally would make them myself, but I cannot access my box of wonders currently and I will not be able to do so for the next two weeks.

3078584_1353345771933.25res_434_353.jpg

(But thank you for the help so far)

• Like 2

Two weeks isn't such a terribly long time. Why not just wait? You could plan the thing to death in the interim...planning to death can be such fun.

• Like 4

Dragon Forge offers singles, but it seems sadly the smallest I could find was 40mm Hero Base Sets.

• Like 2

Chopped up circuit board ... plastic part from old radio cut in circle ... sanding mesh cut in circle ... dollar store robot chopped into bits ... left over sprue coped up ... anything once painted can be just about anything you like.

• Like 3

do you have any plasticard? You can get some fairly convincing scifi bases by just cutting and layering strips and regular shapes on a bare base.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

Two weeks isn't such a terribly long time. Why not just wait? You could plan the thing to death in the interim...planning to death can be such fun.

Well. Coming home at 3, starting the game at 6 isn't enough time to execute all the planned stuff. And I am not buying stuff just for the sake of mashing up something in a hurry. So if I don't find any usable stuff in time, figures will not be ready.

23 minutes ago, Boaz said:

Chopped up circuit board ... plastic part from old radio cut in circle ... sanding mesh cut in circle ... dollar store robot chopped into bits ... left over sprue coped up ... anything once painted can be just about anything you like.

4 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

do you have any plasticard? You can get some fairly convincing scifi bases by just cutting and layering strips and regular shapes on a bare base.

Please check ->here<- for further

58 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Dragon Forge offers singles, but it seems sadly the smallest I could find was 40mm Hero Base Sets.

That is unfortunate.

Thanks for the help, guys.

• Like 3

while they don't offer singles, secret weapon has 30mm bases in sci fi theme for $11 for a set of 10.  I can't post a commerce link, but google secret weapon miniatures and look under bases by size and check out the 30 mm round lip warp core bases.  The price is good, and you could always sell off the extras.  Not sure that helps as I know you're looking for singles. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Well. Coming home at 3, starting the game at 6 isn't enough time to execute all the planned stuff. And I am not buying stuff just for the sake of mashing up something in a hurry. So if I don't find any usable stuff in time, figures will not be ready.

I haven't gamed in so long that the idea of rushing to finish something to game with is a foreign concept with me. When I was a table top gamer games were separated by months. Having things ready in time wasn't a rush job.

Good luck with the basing.

The forum wouldn't let me add a "like" to your reply, but consider it "liked".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

This. Thin card strips cut with scissors or a knife and some applied paint will do the trick.  I'm assuming you have a knife and glue if you can prep figures. You can find thin cardboard everywhere, back of the checkbook, junk mail, Lindt chocolate bars, girl scout cookie boxes... Wad up a bit of scrap paper on the side.  

I see a few 30mm round urban bases on ebay in packs of 1-3, but even that is going to cost you $10.  

• Like 4

If you were local, I could fix something up with putty and bits.  But failing that, here are a few ideas:

1) Instant Mold + sci-fi toy + epoxy putty = quickie techno textures.  "Instant Mold" is a re-branding of what's "plastic clay" over in Japan -- basically a clear plastic that has a very low melting temperature, so you can nuke a mug of water in the microwave for 2 minutes, dip a slab of the plastic in the near-boiling water, then mold it into silly shapes, or else (more practical our purposes) jam it against some interesting texture, stick it in the freezer for a while to let it cool, then pry it off and -- VOILA!  Temporary press-mold.  I sometimes grab junk toys (or pieces thereof) at the thrift store simply because SOMEWHERE on the toy is an interesting texture that I would like to replicate and incorporate into a decorative base or terrain feature.  (E.g., a brick wall pattern on some toy building, some "diamond plate" on a construction-set toy, a faux wood-plank feature on the deck of a toy "pirate ship," some stylized leaf textures from a badly-painted knickknack, an interesting tiled-texture from an old "Aladdin" micro play set.)

In theory, you could put a dab of putty on a regular base (or, lately, I've been using pennies for even smaller bases), dip your custom-made texture-mold in a cup of water (as a quickie "mold release") and then jam it into the putty to impress the texture.

Now, the downside of this is that it generally works best for ORGANIC shapes (leaves, vines, broken stone, etc.) vs. "machined" shapes that demand to be orderly and perfectly flat.  This is a bendable plastic, after all, so it may therefore result in a surface that's slightly curved due to warping.  Having a thicker chunk of plastic behind your "mold" can help to reduce this a little (making your press-mold less bendy).  Also, there may be a bit of tearing when pulling the push-mold back off the putty: therefore, for sharpest details, I tend to LEAVE the press-mold in place (putty, base, and all) to cure before I remove it later.

2) Look for interesting items you might have that could work as a texture-mold.  For instance, the aforementioned Aladdin micro play set: It had a plastic piece that had a raised pattern that I think was supposed to represent some sort of Arabesque design in abstract ... but if I pressed it into some putty and let it sit there to cure, those raised lines became insets for the putty -- and the otherwise smooth surface of the plastic meant that the putty took on a smooth sheen once it cured, and the piece was removed.

Hmm.  Not the best photo to demonstrate (I should have relied more on just wash-and-dry-brush, as my attempt at detailing obliterated most of the DETAILS), but I DID use this technique for the mini base below:

joplin__zombie_survivor_by_jordangreywol

3) Ever buy packaged food from your local grocery store deli that comes in a plastic clam-shell?  Well, I have, sometimes -- and sometimes those black plastic clam-shell container bottoms have some interesting textured bases, and I've ended up washing them off and cutting them out in order to save them as "techno-greebles" for terrain-building.  Sometimes it's a raised grid.  Sometimes there are little ridges.  I'm not even sure why it's anything other than a totally flat surface, but all I know is that the plastic cuts easily, it holds up to spray-painted base coating, and with a bit of a wash and dry-brush, I can bring out the details for what amounts to a bit of a "techno" look suitable for walls or floors.

sci_fi_corridors___work_in_progress_by_j

The above has a number of examples of "scavenged" textures: pieces from an incomplete (and now disassembled) "Toy Story" play set, some Hirst Arts castings, some "Tehnolog Platformer" panels, some "granny grating" (plastic cross-stitch grid), some wafer trays from a surplus store -- and also right toward the middle area -- in the room where the miniatures are congregated -- there was a hole in the "floor" that I filled in with a section of plastic from the bottom of a deli tray that had a diamond-pattern raised texture that worked well to represent some sort of grate flooring.

4) Look for things you can roll, too.  I often use the handle of my hobby knife to roll-texture putty for an interesting raised pattern.  I used it for the "rug" texture below.

agent_smith__zombie_hunter_by_jordangrey

5) Print, cut, and glue.  Find an image of some interesting "techno-plate" design with lots of little panels, or a hex grid.  Print it on cardstock.  Cut out the tiny bits, and then glue them back onto a black base (trimming as necessary), but be sure to leave some gaps in between the "plates."  A few tiny paper hexes, carefully arranged, can give a nice "hex tile" effect.

Another possibility would be to get some thin plastic -- such as the clear plastic from a blister pack -- and carefully cut it into "hex" shapes with a hobby knife (e.g., have the clear plastic taped down over a printed "hex grid" pattern for a guide).  Then, you can paint and glue down the hex tiles with enough of a gap that the black of the original plastic base underneath can show through, and trim off any part of the tiles that extend over the edge.  I used to do that sort of thing with cardboard for some quickie "Star Wars space station" flooring (lots of random "panels" here and there) -- that unfortunately I gave away a long time ago and don't have a photo for show 'n' tell here.

Have a thicker piece of cardboard (or plastic or what-have-you) that only covers PART of the base, and you could have yourself a split that represents one side being the sidewalk curb, and the other area is the pavement.  (Many plastic bases already have a semi-rough surface that with a bit of dry-brushing in a slightly lighter-but-still-dark grey could pass for pavement anyway.)  Want a can of soda sitting in the gutter?  Chop a piece of sprue, and you've got a small cylinder.  Want some newspapers on the sidewalk?  Use actual paper.  In fact, you could *print* it with whatever you want to be on the newspaper or magazine.  I really went overboard with that sort of thing when I was doing bases and street scenery for zombie-apocalypse minis:

young_zombie_apocalypse_survivors_by_jor

I.e., in Photoshop I arranged a whole bunch of newspaper, magazine, book, sign, and packaging images I found online, so that I could make paper props to add to bases and scenery: the "No Loitering" and "Warning" signs, the caution stripe, the "crime scene" tape, the jumbo-sized "Zombie Survival Guide" manual, the discarded newspaper, the educational poster, and the Chick-Fil-A carry-out bag in the above.  (The sidewalk/driveway consists of squares of 1.5"x1.5" pieces of cardboard tiled together, as originally I made these pieces for a HeroClix street battle zone.  The building facade is liberated from a broken Hot Wheels City play-set I found in the thrift store.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corporea said:

while they don't offer singles, secret weapon has 30mm bases in sci fi theme for $11 for a set of 10.  I can't post a commerce link, but google secret weapon miniatures and look under bases by size and check out the 30 mm round lip warp core bases.  The price is good, and you could always sell off the extras.  Not sure that helps as I know you're looking for singles. 

Unfortunately not at the moment, but thanks for the heads up - didn't know them. I'll keep them on my list for future references. Thanks for the help, Corporea. I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

I haven't gamed in so long that the idea of rushing to finish something to game with is a foreign concept with me. When I was a table top gamer games were separated by months. Having things ready in time wasn't a rush job.

Good luck with the basing.

The forum wouldn't let me add a "like" to your reply, but consider it "liked".

I haven't gamed in so long, that I wasn't prepared for such an event, neither.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

This. Thin card strips cut with scissors or a knife and some applied paint will do the trick.  I'm assuming you have a knife and glue if you can prep figures. You can find thin cardboard everywhere, back of the checkbook, junk mail, Lindt chocolate bars, girl scout cookie boxes... Wad up a bit of scrap paper on the side.  

I see a few 30mm round urban bases on ebay in packs of 1-3, but even that is going to cost you $10.  

Thanks for the help, guys.

And as I read the next post already - just let me say: Thank you, guys for all the assistance, BUT: The problem is not HOW I can make the bases.  (I did a couple for my infinity miniatures before)

The problem is: I cannot access any of my stuff. I am currently away from home, and I only took a few miniatures with me for "enjoying" the evenings after work. My current workbench looks like this: 2 knives, 6 files, plastic glue, super glue, some wire for pinning, a box cutter, some sanding paper and some magnets (and some colours). That's all.

If I was at home, I would have had the ability to get all the stuff and prepare a few bases. But I won't be at home for two weeks and I cannot just get there to get the stuff. And I will not buy bases for the miniatures, plastic card, putty, etc. just to prepare two bases.

Therefore my hope was that maybe someone of you has an idea where I can access one or two of those bases so I have got the time to get those figures at least based and primed.

But I think the only solution is to buy a big pack and hope that the other bases will find either another use or a buyer later.

Anyway: Thanks for the help!

@Jordan Peacock: I'll store your post on my computer :-D Just for future use. Thanks.

• Like 3