2018-04-29-gorge-001.jpg

This is my latest terrain piece for my tabletop games, a small gorge. It's about 300 x 150 mm, and at its deepest the gorge is about 30 mm deep.

It's not wide enough for vehicles in any scale larger than 6mm or 10-12mm. Maybe a jeep in 15mm, certainly nothing larger. There's just enough of a bend in it that you can't see right through from end to end.

I suspect that the rock formations would make geologists clench their fists and grind their teeth, but fortunately, I'm not a geologist.

2018-04-29-gorge-005.jpg

2018-04-29-gorge-002.jpg

2018-04-29-gorge-003.jpg

2018-04-29-gorge-004.jpg

• Like 21

No, it's all cast plaster (for the rocks) and SculptaMold (which is a paper fibre and plaster mix) for the rest of the groundwork. The dirt and vegetation is all home-made sawdust flock.

• Like 1

How dose the sculptaMold stand up to impact ... I try not to use plasters as they tend to Crack with heavy handed gamers (typically not terrain makers) and when used as makeshift zombie cludgens (my go to terrain endurance gage) ... 

It looks great and very table top useful ... I suspect most geologist would appreciate the natural look and detail and support your effort to bring their subject of study to the table top community. 

Edited by Boaz

I wouldn't leave SculptaMold edges completely unprotected, but if it's on a base (I use 3mm MDF with chamfered edges) it stands up to a reasonable amount of punishment. It's stronger than plaster alone, but not as strong as resin or plastic, of course.

• Like 2