Sign in to follow this  
prophetic_joe

Metallic Dragon's gloss or no gloss?

So I am having a ponder. I just painted the Reaper Silver Dragon and I clear coated prior to using Dulcote. The trouble is I am concerned that something if the metallic look will be lost by using the Dulcote after all. So the question I have is, for the folks that have painted silver creatures do you Dulcote or leave them shiny?

If it's a Bones figure, I don't bother with varnishing at all these days unless I have unwanted shine to get rid of, or I want to add a gloss accent to something.

On metal figures, I like a satin finish varnish over metallics rather than a full gloss. It gives a bit of reflection without making everything look wet.

• Like 1

I'm working on Kyphrixis right now, and will probably go for matte, with satin drybrushed on the shinier parts, to enhance the shininess and make the grittier parts darker in relation. 

I think an all out Gloss would be too shiny, really as it's skin, not metal plating.

• Like 3

I agree, gloss is reserved for some parts like insect eyes, slime etc.

Satin finish will be better IMHO

I agree, gloss is reserved for some parts like insect eyes, slime etc.

Satin finish will be better IMHO

• Like 1

Dulcote will kill some of the shine, yeah. I did a coat of gloss sealer on my Mini Ma'al (which I painted in all metallics) and the added shine of the gloss on top of the metallic is a bit much. A satiny finish, such as Reaper's brush-on sealer gives, is what I currently use.

Huzzah!       

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1