Fnordlover

Complaints Department

The closest flgs from where I live is about 30 miles, well outside biking distance. So I resupply through the internet.

I'm hoping that I can corrupt a few of my resturant old timers into the hobby, as I haven't had an actual game of anything since 2003. Which of course will give me an excuse to get a copy of Zombicide. (from there depending on how they take to it, bring out Dungeon Saga and Heroquest....)

I've been in a strange repetitive cycle for years, either no opportunites to gather a like minded group, or like when I was in Austin, there was opportunity, but I kept getting stuck on 2nd shift and weekend shifts, so even making it to the monthy paint night at Emerald Tavern was an uphill fight.

(also factoring into that was the fact that other than a month or so in 8th grade I've never actually played d&d, pathfinder, etc. Granted there was the short lived vampire/wraith game of 1998, but I was always too self concious about being the noobest of noobs on that side of the hobby to try and get invovled in any of the groups that met on my days off. I'm regreting that now.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

The closest flgs from where I live is about 30 miles, well outside biking distance. So I resupply through the internet.

I'm hoping that I can corrupt a few of my resturant old timers into the hobby, as I haven't had an actual game of anything since 2003. Which of course will give me an excuse to get a copy of Zombicide. (from there depending on how they take to it, bring out Dungeon Saga and Heroquest....)

I've been in a strange repetitive cycle for years, either no opportunites to gather a like minded group, or like when I was in Austin, there was opportunity, but I kept getting stuck on 2nd shift and weekend shifts, so even making it to the monthy paint night at Emerald Tavern was an uphill fight.

(also factoring into that was the fact that other than a month or so in 8th grade I've never actually played d&d, pathfinder, etc. Granted there was the short lived vampire/wraith game of 1998, but I was always too self concious about being the noobest of noobs on that side of the hobby to try and get invovled in any of the groups that met on my days off. I'm regreting that now.)

Life is cruel to me in other ways.  I have been playing off and on, but mainly on for 40 years (shiver, I really hate admitting that) but I have certain expectations of how people should play and what they should do (getting into character, driving the story, helping to develop the storyline and worldbuilding, etc.) and I keep getting disappointed by players who expect video or boardgame experiences where everything is provided and they can just show up mess around for a while, and the move on to the next shiny.  Twice in my life I have had the experience of a dedicated set of gamers, including noobs, who wanted to play and really clicked with the world.  The experience is like no other.  but then life intervenes and the group has to break up or change (we went to college the first time and I got a new job the second) and the magic is lost.

But I keep trying, and in the process raising new gamers to hopefully find a new magic realm to experience.  Someday I might even get to play in such a world...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Dear parcel delivery company.

Yes, I  was home, thanks. I’m telling you here because the lack of a knock indicated to me that you assumed I was. And thank you so much for dropping my delivery (apparently from chest height) both to let me know you had *ahem* dropped it off and that you had been, since as previously indicated you didn’t feel like knocking. This also allowed me to verify the protection provided by the foam inserts in my LTP and Layer Up Kits. Fortunately, they absorbed enough impact that the magnification tool also survived.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Our jerk GM canceled our PF game tomorrow night.

Oh, wait. I'm the jerk GM.

7A340E41-A995-45C5-9C5B-3D3745335A24.jpeg.06bb759392b40c7c9fe2f8604965cda2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/10/2018 at 5:33 AM, Rahz said:

They're good friends but the other main DM and I have been saying for years:  we need new gamers...

Well, I have been recruiting people to the hobby as fast as I can.

I now have brought three more DMs into the fold in their 20s in the past 3 years, and brought in about 10 new players. I have even resorted to dirty tactics like painting minis for people and placing a new set of dice in their hands.

Works really well. I recommend this process.

Spoiler

*mutters the first one is free like a drug dealer*

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Oh, here we go:

• Germany doesn't really have Hobby/Gaming stores either. We have GW. And some tiny stores with Magic cards. There are some, who luckily also sell online, but most bigger cities don't have their own.
  • DnD community is really small. All the people I know playing were either introduced by me or brought in by my players. Worked out great, I have a nice group, but took us a year to get started. I'm really not looking forward to moving one day. That's were a FLGS would come in really handy.
  • Wizkids basically unoptainable in Europe. I do love Bones, but for some of the official creatures like the Beholder or the Umberhulk I would really enjoy those miniatures to those prices. 
  • My go-to domestic online retailer is really having troubles keeping up with stock. They have infos on the product pages like "available agian in 2-4 weeks" but those are basically never true. Wanted the GF9 Zuggtmoy from them, ordered it, 2 months later they tell me they aren't even sure if they will get her again, much less when. Not sure how much blame is on them vs the suppliers, still frustrating as horseradish.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

On 5/12/2018 at 4:14 AM, Nunae said:

Oh, here we go:

• Germany doesn't really have Hobby/Gaming stores either. We have GW. And some tiny stores with Magic cards. There are some, who luckily also sell online, but most bigger cities don't have their own.
  • DnD community is really small. All the people I know playing were either introduced by me or brought in by my players. Worked out great, I have a nice group, but took us a year to get started. I'm really not looking forward to moving one day. That's were a FLGS would come in really handy.
  • Wizkids basically unoptainable in Europe. I do love Bones, but for some of the official creatures like the Beholder or the Umberhulk I would really enjoy those miniatures to those prices. 
  • My go-to domestic online retailer is really having troubles keeping up with stock. They have infos on the product pages like "available agian in 2-4 weeks" but those are basically never true. Wanted the GF9 Zuggtmoy from them, ordered it, 2 months later they tell me they aren't even sure if they will get her again, much less when. Not sure how much blame is on them vs the suppliers, still frustrating as horseradish.

Well, yes but you trade that for an amazing board game scene.  At least it was the last time i was in Germany... about 5 years ago.

went to Lepzig, Dresden, Frankfurt, Marburg and Berlin and all these had at least 3 gaming stores (board games) and at least 2 different pubs that had games nights every week.  Beats all heck out of when i lived in Keokuk and the only games that were recognized involved throwing a ball outside

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Beats all heck out of when i lived in Keokuk and the only games that were recognized involved throwing a ball outside

You know, I'm pretty sure I heard a radio add for a game store in Keokuk.

*summons the power of Google*

Oh look, it exists. (map & pics, not commerce link)

In the bottom pic I think I see some D&D books, and some board games, and maybe a mini...  It may be worth a curiosity visit one of these days when I have the time for a drive.

• Like 5

This is actually relevant to the hobby:

Why do pigs in a blanket only come in bagel bites (yuck) or a box of five thousand >.< I only wanted a few!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

This is actually relevant to the hobby:

Why do pigs in a blanket only come in bagel bites (yuck) or a box of five thousand >.< I only wanted a few!

You can easily make a few fresh ones by using pop-can type croissant dough. Just wrap one around a sausage, bake and voilà. Yummy warm pig in the blankets for game night. You can use any extra pieces of dough to make normal croissants. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

pillsbury-croissants.png

crescent-dogs_hero.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

You can easily make a few fresh ones by using pop-can type croissant dough. Just wrap one around a sausage, bake and voilà. Yummy warm pig in the blankets for game night. You can use any extra pieces of dough to make normal croissants. :rolleyes:

Reveal hidden contents

pillsbury-croissants.png

crescent-dogs_hero.jpg

I'm too lazy for that :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Auberon said:

You know, I'm pretty sure I heard a radio add for a game store in Keokuk.

*summons the power of Google*

Oh look, it exists. (map & pics, not commerce link)

In the bottom pic I think I see some D&D books, and some board games, and maybe a mini...  It may be worth a curiosity visit one of these days when I have the time for a drive.

Okay, I stand corrected.  Keokuk now has a gaming hobby store.  It is no longer completely culturally repressed.  I left 18 years ago and I will admit that things change and sometimes for the better.  They also have 5 new resturants and at least one coffee shop that wasn't there.  I should know, i lived less than 3 blocks from that location.  Looks like it's been open about a year.

Wasn't there when I was though.  And considering the broccoli me and mine went through while in was there, I still am never going back, although in the future I will preface statements 'with when I was there...'::D:

• Like 4

My players like to go off topic and bring up random music while I'm talking...

I'm assuming I'm just not doing enough as a DM yet, so now I'm going to work at making my games as immersive as possible

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

On 5/17/2018 at 12:18 PM, Paradoxical Mouse said:

My players like to go off topic and bring up random music while I'm talking...

I'm assuming I'm just not doing enough as a DM yet, so now I'm going to work at making my games as immersive as possible

If they're doing this while you're speaking, it may mean that they have the attention span of a mayfly, not that you aren't doing enough. 

I would advise investing in a small Nerf gun, and applying it as needed. If they inquire as to why soft darts are suddenly bouncing off of them, tell them it's because they've been ambushed by Kobolds. (Look up Tucker's Kobolds and learn the joys of teaching your players to fear small creatures!)

You might have to do this a couple times but they should eventually learn to associate interrupting you with bad things. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

If the Nerf darts don't work, bring a spray bottle of water or a squirt gun to the table...

And inform the players that if they insist on acting like a herd of cats instead of paying attention, then you will treat them like a herd of cats...

• Like 7
  • Haha 5