I put together this Barrow from xps foam and a decopage cardboard treasure chest lid. I used a greenstuff world roller to texture the doorway and landing outside. It is all stuck together with super glue. 

I was keen to make sure that there were flat areas for based minis in the front and at the rear. My minor mistake was making the rear plinth/hill a bit too narrow after sticking on the rear wall section, hence cutting out a slit. 

When all the glue has dried I will prime it with a mix of mod podge and black paint. Then I will flock the top. I need to decide whether to make this snowy or green. I think that snow will cover more model making sins... 

20180506_094741.jpg

20180506_094801.jpg

20180506_094807.jpg

• Like 15

It is coming along in SPLENDID fashion. I think it would look better on a round base.

• Thanks 1

Nice!  I've been pondering getting a GreenStuffWorld roller or two (I just can't settle on which one(s) I'd get the most use out of), but I've been looking at them for use with putty -- I hadn't even considered the possibilities for rolling them over foam to texturize it.  What a neat effect!  Thanks for sharing your work in progress.  :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Nice!  I've been pondering getting a GreenStuffWorld roller or two (I just can't settle on which one(s) I'd get the most use out of), but I've been looking at them for use with putty -- I hadn't even considered the possibilities for rolling them over foam to texturize it.  What a neat effect!  Thanks for sharing your work in progress.  :)

I had the same problem, and it took a while to narrow it down to my own six (five textures, one plain), but they get steady use.... ^_^

.... Then they came out with several new ones, most of whcih I want! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Nice!  I've been pondering getting a GreenStuffWorld roller or two (I just can't settle on which one(s) I'd get the most use out of), but I've been looking at them for use with putty -- I hadn't even considered the possibilities for rolling them over foam to texturize it. 

I have the cobblestone, brick, and wood effect rollers. The wood roller isn't very good on foam. I tried the rollers on normal polystyrene (ie TV packaging) and on EVA foam (the soft feel adhesive stuff for kids' crafts) and the pattern didn't take. If you use the dense modelling/insulation foam the brick and stone pattern really comes out well. 

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I had the same problem, and it took a while to narrow it down to my own six (five textures, one plain), but they get steady use.... ^_^

.... Then they came out with several new ones, most of whcih I want! :rolleyes:

I want to get "Ancestral Recall" which looks like quite a regular square pattern, for Ghost Archipelago walls. Then I was going to be good and just get "Pavement". Then... I got into the Zombicide Invasion kickstarter despite not being a SF gamer. Would need some industrial rollers. THEN... there is a nice herringbone brick one, and a "Dutch brick" one that looks like red bricks rather than a flagstone wall. Oh and Frostgrave is cold so I should get "Frozen" as well... 

Have put a base coat down on this using crafting acrylics. The idea is for some green to go on top of the brown painted bits. Then, as I have decided to make this Frostgrave rather than GA, I need to figure out how to do decent snow drift type effect across the roof. I might mix mod podge, white paint, and snow flock. Not sure. 

20180507_063145.jpg

20180507_063149.jpg

20180507_063157.jpg

• Like 6

The stonework turned out SPLENDIDLY. It does look like you have  to smooth the rough angles of the earth parts, fill the cracks & gaps (Woodland Scenics Foam Putty is the thing) & cover the earth parts with glue & sand before you are ready to paint the beasty..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

The stonework turned out SPLENDIDLY. It does look like you have  to smooth the rough angles of the earth parts, fill the cracks & gaps (Woodland Scenics Foam Putty is the thing) & cover the earth parts with glue & sand before you are ready to paint the beasty..

Thank you. It is such a simple tool but am really happy with how it turns out.

Re filling things, Fake snow is going to be my friend I think! 

• Like 2

Looking good so far.

As far as filling things, you might want to try to find something to fill holes/gaps with, and then use the fake snow over top of that. Using just the fake snow is going to require you use a LOT of it.

• Thanks 2

A light spackle is cheap, comes in several sizes, and easy to find in any hardware store ... great for gap filling but not strong enough for flooring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have done some more work on this. In the end I did do some filling. I liked having some horizontal lines for the stone work on each side of the Barrow but filled some in and did more work filling in between the foam and the cardboard treasure chest lid. 

Then after some experimenting with fake snow used bicarb and pva, over white paint, with snow flock sprinkled on top. Will see how it dries. The bicarb and pva mix fluffed up nicely which helped with making snow drifts. 

• Like 3

Some pics finally. Am happy over all with the snow. A thick layer of cheap acrylic white paint over the snow areas then a paste of pva and bicarb. Snow flock then scattered on top. 

20180513_171653.jpg

20180513_200805.jpg

20180513_200811.jpg

• Like 7