Geoff Davis

03681 Nazera Bloodraven, Vampire

Oooh, very nice! I like the eyes as they are right now.

I went for a more scrappy version with orange-yellow eyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that of all I've seen so far, she is your best work. I really love the smooth transitions and her face is just great!

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's off to a great start, and you've picked an excellent and classic color scheme for her! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good ... lip ring or mold line you seem to have it all worked out ... blending behind the highlights look great ...

• Like 1

I redid some of the blending and highlights on the armour.  I can't seem to get the white paint to flow smoothly for the highlights.  I am using a mix of 50% water/25% slodri/25%flow improver which seems to be working really well with other colours but the white inevitably becomes chalky as soon as I thin it.  I am using pure white and I recall reading somewhere that one of the other reaper whites has been found to be less chalky when thinned.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I suspect I need to order some other white paints to try. 

I am considering her done for now and moving on to another project.  The show off photos are here:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80876-03681-nazera-bloodraven-vampire/

Thanks for your suggestion to do this project Inarah!

5af23daae2caa_Nazera9a.thumb.jpg.9529967479733589149121593262208d.jpg

• Like 13

If you want white which isn't chalky I recomend Zinc white (artist paint). Thought it is very transparent and has terrible tinting strength.
Just don't use it with oil paint.

• Like 1

I've also found adding matte medium or RMS matte sealer to be helpfull in thinning paints that turn chalky.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      I found this to be one of the more challenging figures I've painted. A lot of skin, a lot of hair, and a lot of thin strands of hair next to skin. 

I went with the Evening Sky triad for his cloak, since it goes nicely with the Red Hair triad I used on his friend. With both of those I only highlighted to mid range, as I didn't think bright highlights would match the whole midnight tryst thing they've got going on.

It's barely visible in the picture, but at the bottom of her right eye is a very thin line of black to denote her eyelid. As much as I'd like to claim skill in getting it there, it was pure luck more than anything.The strands of her hair covering his head don't quite match my original mix, as I had no idea they were there until I went to finish his skin. 

• By Geoff Davis
      03157: Garwin Greywand, Wizard sculpted by Bobby Jackson.  Continuing on with practicing OSL.  I started by undershading with dark brown and purple and highlighted up to linen white on his body and base.  I did the same thing but with black and greys on his staff.

I then added the blue for his robe, using two sets of blues.  One set has no light effect colour added.  The other set has the yellow added.  I did the shading and highlighting on the dark side with the blues that didn't have the yellow added.  I used the set with the yellow added anywhere that I thought the light was going to hit, using the undershading as a guide as to where that would be.  The yellow I mixed with the blue is also used on the orb.

Then I added the other colours (particularly the staff and the fleshtones) using the same approach of mixing up two sets of the colours to use side by side.

Overall I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.  A few of the values seem out of balance though.  Particularly parts of the staff compared to the adjacent areas on his robe.  Some of the flesh tones that are further away from the orb need to be darker still.  The part of the staff directly below the orb seems too bright overall, especially right beneath the orb.  Still a work in progress.

• By Nightwing
      I’ve been working on this guy for months, off and on. Finally pushed him through to completion last night. I hope you like him. 

• By cassault
      These are the first figures I painted after lurking around here for a few months. Think they came out well.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)