Brianuk

Frostgrave rough ground, noticeboards, and ruin work in progress

Very nice, I particularly like the job boards since those are things we don't see all that often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. Here are some more WIP shots of the ruins including a new one. Again these are quarters of a clementines box with rollered foam added to the outside. I am not adding foam to the insides to avoid over engineering and to make sure that the floor work/balsa is being stuck to wood, not to foam.

I need to varnish or add a water effect to the well and also blend in the stones that I have picked out in lighter grey. I will run a vine or dead tree down the exposed corner section in the last photo, where you can clearly see the old joins in the wood.

A challenge I have is that I am washing the stonework with black ink wash and it darkens things down a bit too much. It obscures the times when I actually highlight things properly! It might be that this doesn't matter when I add snow effects. 

20180511_073553.jpg

20180511_073542.jpg

20180511_073525.jpg

20180511_073501.jpg

20180511_073441.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks everyone. Here are some more WIP shots of the ruins including a new one. Again these are quarters of a clementines box with rollered foam added to the outside. I am not adding foam to the insides to avoid over engineering and to make sure that the floor work/balsa is being stuck to wood, not to foam.

I need to varnish or add a water effect to the well and also blend in the stones that I have picked out in lighter grey. I will run a vine or dead tree down the exposed corner section in the last photo, where you can clearly see the old joins in the wood.

A challenge I have is that I am washing the stonework with black ink wash and it darkens things down a bit too much. It obscures the times when I actually highlight things properly! It might be that this doesn't matter when I add snow effects. 

• Like 1

Have made some rubble piles just by taking the cardboard tops to the decopage ocean liner models I brought (the bottoms are turned into boats) and then sticking foam bricks and rubble onto them. This is a good way I find of using up the scraps from making the buildings and other terrain with pink foam. There are a couple of scibor basing bits on there as well. 

Painting was drybrushing with craft acrylics. Then I made an ink wash following the method in the Lukes APS videos on YouTube. I wanted a grey wash so mixed black and white ink with acrylic medium and deionised water. Will see how it dries but hopefully it gets over problem of me shading everything very very dark grey. 

Final step is probably to add some bits of lichen and tufts and maybe some snow patches. 

Oh and there is a dorky joke in there if you look hard enough. 

20180519_092620.jpg

20180519_092657.jpg

20180519_092758.jpg

20180519_092632.jpg

• Like 6

Now with some lichen and tufts, have decided not to add snow so in theory could be used for Ghost Archipelago as well. 

20180519_133142.jpg

20180519_133256.jpg

20180519_133243.jpg

• Like 8

Cool rubble and ruins!

Dorky joke (in spoiler in case others want to look for it)

Tetris blocks?

• Thanks 1

Ruins nearly finished, just need to add some tufts and fake snow, and pay a bit more attention to the floor. 

Have used the homemade grey wash again and am much happier with it than using black ink wash. Also have been using domestic filler to smooth over gaps in the materials. The wood is just painted with Vallejo "wood grain", am happy enough with it but might weather it further. 

The only flaw terrain wise is that no one seems to have put any windows or doors in any of the unruined buildings... 

20180520_100727.jpg

20180520_100749.jpg

20180520_100825.jpg

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Brianuk
      Managed to do more painting today. The assassin is by North Star. I was aiming for a lighter palette, rather than a ninja. I think I need to go back in and highlight more. 
      The knight is mainly fireforge, templar body, cloak, and scandi infantry head. The arms are from the Oathmark elves set though. 

They are just based on 25mm washers and will add some texture, foam rocks, and snow effects to both bases once grey base coat has dried. It takes ages to get a consistent coat on the washers  and that and the hole in the middle are the only downsides to using them. 

• By magtagj
      Finally starting to make headway on KS3! Having kids, mirite?

• By kodiakbear
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/caverns-deep-by-dwarven-forge-handcrafted-game-ter/description

If anybody here loves cavern terrain and missed DF's first cavern KS KS2, this spring/summer around June DF will have KS6. The theme of KS6 will be Return to the Caverns and should be great fun for those who took part in KS2 or those who are new to DF.

DF had this to say and showed the below teaser pics

We're doing for Caverns what Dungeon of Doom did for Dungeons. A whole new batch of fun pieces to enhance your existing collection, but also completely stand-alone.

Some of the key features:
      New Core Shapes (diagonal wall, convex curves, 1" pieces, etc)
      Passages
      Elevation (with stuff that's impossible on graph paper...)
      Negative Space pieces (and new Terrain Trays)
      Flashy Pieces (Magnets & LEDs)
      Large pieces (4x4 and larger)

• By MojoBob
      I made these primitive runestones in Blender and printed them on my little 3d printer. I thought the first one was a bit boring, so I added a bunch of skulls around the base of the second for that cannibal-headhunter vibe.

They're on Thingiverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3010064

The miniature is from Reaper, the figure I use to represent my oldest (surviving) D&D character from back in 1981, Smirnoff the Huge and Ugly. There was one earlier character from my very first roleplaying session, but I don't even remember his name — he was blown to smithereens in that same session by being too close to an overly-curious halfling thief.
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548467345/drakenstone-magnetic-modular-castle-terrain?ref=discovery#

About
      My name is Andy, and I've been building miniature fantasy terrain since the 1980s. I have used my hand-made magnetic modular terrain for Dungeon Escape and Legendary Arena Battles at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild in Taylor, MI. My prototype pieces are on display at Acropolis Games in Adrian, and Get Your Game On in Ann Arbor. Many players have asked how they can take home magnetic terrain pieces to continue their adventure at home.
      I use Hirst Arts blocks (I am a fully licensed Hirst Arts dealer). The process is fun... but painfully slow, as each block must be cast individually, then glued together. To save time and effort, I've began making molds of ENTIRE ROOMS, so that they can be cast AS ONE SINGLE SOLID PIECE with no glueing. Instead of using delicate, breakable plaster, I have been casting using 57D Resin, with enormous success. Instead of building a room in several days, I pour the resin in the mold, and its finished in two minutes. I can cast the entire 29 piece dungeon in one hour. What took me weeks before, now takes only an afternoon.
      The 57D Resin is urethane rubber. It is slightly flexible, making it shatter-proof. The rooms can be dropped, and they will remain literally undamaged. No more chipping, cracking, or breaking! Say goodbye to handling delicate pieces. Since they come right out of the mold looking like granite, there is no paint to chip away or rub off. However, the material is paintable, should you choose to add your own dry-brush. Colors available are: Black Onyx, Black Granite, OrcSkin Gray, Gray Granite, White, White Granite, Frost, and Glow in the Dark.
      There is no glue involved in any of the pieces.
      The magnets are EMBEDDED directly inside the walls during the molding process, and cannot come loose, break off, or become lost. That makes our terrain suitable for kids of any age. Every terrain piece "snaps" together. 
      Players who already own Dwarven Forge sets will enjoy the fact that DrakenStone terrain meets up perfectly with their existing sets, making it the perfect compliment. The playing surface is exactly the same height, and the squares are exactly the same size as Dwarven Forge. 
      Please join us for a D&D 5E PVP one-shot game "Dungeon Escape", played Monday nights at 7pm, at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild, 12345 Telegraph Road, Taylor, MI. See the terrain being used in a real game. Or, watch us live on Facebook.
      Risks and challenges
      I have already created all the molds. I have already purchased the magnets in bulk. The last step is purchasing the 57D Resin. In pint-sized and gallon-sized units, the cost is very expansive... making the sale of sets to the public prohibitively expansive. However, in a 5-gallon, or even a 55-gallon drum, the cost of the resin is considerably less. Obtaining this bulk quantity of materials will keep the finished castle pieces at a low cost to customers. A 55-gallon drum of the 57D Resin costs $1,000.
      Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)