Jasper_the_2nd

Jasper's One Day Speedpaint, Mutant Chronicles Warzone: Prophet

While waiting for washes to dry on an exchange fig this morning, I decided I'd try getting a decent paint job onto a fig I pulled out of the latest BoGW that @robinh let me browse through last week.

I pulled this fig because I thought it would work well as an evil mage type in the Savage Rifts setting.  But I didn't think I'd use it for the current game, as the last encounter is tonight, before we switch over to 5th Ed for a while.

But what the heck, I'm going to see what I can do with him anyway.

mage_basecoat_front.jpg.3dfd27d4f1c5de49bb9664bcbe7c17b2.jpgmage_basecoat_back.jpg.d2415e67b08fc3065cd455d0ffb94012.jpg

Here's about 40 minutes of base coating. Robes/gloves will be dark red, tassley cloak thing will be purpley greys.  Lots of metals.

Anyone able to identify him?  GW?  Warzone maybe? (Identified below.....)

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
Updating with mini name
  • Like 10

looks mutant chronicles like.

edit, and it is!

Mutant chronicles warzone, tribes of earth, crescentian tribes, prophet

Man did they need less clunky names.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much @Werkrobotwerk !

Taking a short break.

mage_step_2_front.jpg.a0e5a3f2dbfc273a53921819d5566d2d.jpgmage_step_2_back.jpg.737ae9278d2224cfbd52f75d9a09c7aa.jpg

Robes are done, leathers in progress, some washes on hair, wash on skin, first purpley layer on cloak, touched up a billion white spots (this guy came primed in white).

• Like 7

And it is 4 pm here, so looks like I'm done.

mage_done_front.jpg.4287b5856a5383afe193c0c6d51c3856.jpgmage_done_back.jpg.ba22ce81e66f85ff4559042445189e6b.jpg

Came out ok for such a quick job, took maybe 3 hours to get to there.

Now to go start supper and then hit it with a quick coat of dull coat.

• Like 9

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CAVBOSS
      WE ARE LIVE... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/272456130/talon-games-cav-strike-ops-iii

• By brehaut
      I'm slowly working through all my minis up on corks. This one is a hero character fig from the third Star Hat Miniatures kickstarter. I guess I’m happy enough at how its come out at least as far as I just do simple paint jobs to tabletop. The fig is metal and had an intrinsic base that I extended out with some poorly applied greenstuff, and made the skull at the same time. 

Critiques welcome

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      I know what you are saying...another WIP by Jasper?  It will never get finished, just like all his other WIPs!
      This is likely true (the first step is admitting you have a problem) but the difference here is I'm not painting these guys currently.  I will eventually....in theory, but that's not why I'm starting the WIP.

So, if you are unfamiliar, or just don't know the name of the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the fairly obscure book series they made into that niche little TV series they have to stick on Sunday nights, A Game of Thrones.
      CMoN worked with Dark Sword Miniatures (I expect there were some licensing reasons as DSM has made some spectacular Martin approved figures from the series in the past) to produce a full blown tabletop game based on the books (not the show, so don't expect Tyrion to look like Peter Dinklage). This is a full traditional type tabletop game, with units, movement trays, etc.  Not what I'm used to with CMoN, but they seem to have done a pretty good job with it, and are backing it up with new armies and units coming out any time now.
      Of course, being CMoN AND Game of Throne, the kickstarter did pretty well, and the number of figs that came were....

So,  as mentioned, units and movement trays.  Movement trays are great.  They keep your unit organized and make it much easier to move them around.  They also make facing and alignment for engagements easy.

But the problem with them is that people are clumsy.  So far in every game I've played me, or my opponent (but usually me) has dropped a tray.  Usually only an inch or two to the tabletop, but still...

As I'm on an ASOIAF (awesome acronym...) facebook group, this seems to be a common issue.  And everyone uses the common solution that movement tray based minis games have been using for decades. Magnets.
      Back when I played Clan War (and Gencon was still in Milwaukee) we used flat metal sheets for the trays, and stick on squares of magnet on the bases.  But now we live in the future! where itty bitty super powerfully magnets are easily available.
      So today I'm trying out magnetizing this unit of Stark Sworn Swords. 
      Following a post I read a while ago in the Facebook group, I ordered a bunch of 5mm x 1mm magnets.  
      The first thing I do is grab a scratchy something (in this case a triangle file) and scratch an X into one face of a bunch of the magnets (I'll do them all eventually).

Then I picked a test subject and glued one as centered as I could get it.  I'm putting the scratched side into the glue as the scratches might help it adhere better and so I don't have scratches showing on all the bottoms. It doesn't matter as long as you're consistent.

Once it dried a bit I needed to see if this would actually work. As these are pretty thin magnets and imported from a company I'd never dealt with before (but who sell really inexpensive magnets) I wasn't sure how strong they would be.
      So I picked what should be the worst spot on the movement tray, where CMoN put their logo, put the fig in the spot and just held a magnet to see what it would do.

Seemed to lock on pretty good so time to test!

Even with a few good shakes our test Stark seems to have held.  Excellent!
      Time to glue the rest on.

Glue should be dry now after all this typing, but its lunch so I'll see if I can get the movement try magnets glued on after a bit.

• By Auberon
      And another Village Attacks mini, this time one of the peasants.  For the moment I'm still following the concept art, but she was also a test for a shade of green mixing Reaper, SC75, and VGC paints.  Details in the WIP.

• By Auberon
      While I did mostly follow the concept art once again, I also used the banshee as a test subject for my recently purchased cool greens triad.  Details are in the WIP.

• Who's Online   36 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)