Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Some of you may remember the diorama I had started entitled Billy's Bad Day. For various reasons, I am, for the most part abandoning that concept. I was really struggling to tell the story I had in my head. I still however want to paint my basilisk, and maybe include it in a diorama, but if I do, I will likely include another character that is a bit more relate-able to the viewer than a couple of goats.
More on that later. For now, I'm going to concentrate on painting the basilisk as I have time between sculpts. If I get that done and my other ReaperCon entry for 2019 in time, I will look into expanding this into a diorama. If not, this can still be my Open category entry.
Here is the basilisk:
The basilisk will be based on a Gila Monster:
But instead of pink, the light areas will be inverse flame color (red up to yellow) with a black belly and skin.
A few months ago, I used my air brush to add a coat of brown liner/blue liner to the skin areas, then air brushed the rest with Cinnamon Red.
Lately, I have been reading Rhonda Bender's (@Wren) blog, Bird with a Brush. For the past month she has had a series of articles on Contrast that have really got me itching to pick up a brush again, but I've had way too much sculpting work to get done to do so. I strongly recommend that you follow her blog, it is excellent. The articles on contrast are as follows:
Compare and Contrast Contrast Versus Realism How to Paint Contrast – Mind Games How to Paint Contrast – Hands On Last night, I was ill with a cold, but had slept much of the afternoon. I wanted to relax, but my brain was just not functioning the way I needed it to to start the next step of the druid turtle, so I picked up this painting and decided to do the next step. I decided to follow Rhonda's advice and add another couple layers of zenithal lighting value to the red, airbrushing on a coat of Sunrise Orange and another of Candlelight Yellow. Then, I went back with a brush and base-coated all of the skin areas with a blend of Brown Liner and Blue Liner (I never use pure black for natural blacks). So this is my base starting point. From here I plan on using glazes to develop the shadows and highlights, pushing the contrast further than I have ever gone before. Challenges I see coming for me in this project: Finding time; I have a lot of sculpts in the hopper between now and January, so progress may be slow between now and then. Developing enough contrast. I have a tendency to think it is enough and stop too soon. I really want to push it on this one. Keep me honest folks! Black/near black. I've never been very good at black, so having major areas of black scares the stuffing out of me, especially since I will be covering major areas of finished color with black squiggles to make the gila monster markings; that's going to hurt. The next step will be developing the major red shadows. I want to thank Rhonda one more time for teaching, inspiring, and challenging me to do this. I honestly believe that this is one of my best sculpts; I want it to be my best paint job as well.
Yet another new thread!
(At some point I really should think about starting a blog, or whatever the cool kids do these days, instead of cluttering up the forum with my stuff.)
While it's possibly a banning offence, I've gotta admit I don't particularly care for Sophie or her various minis, but this one really leapt out at me.
I may have made things extra hard for myself by fully assembling everything, but she has little, dainty feet so I was never going to be able to pin her to a cork.
Started with her skin (1:1 Rosy Skin/Beastly Brown > Flesh Wash > 1:1 Rosy Skin/Beastly Brown > 1:1:1 Rosy Skin/Light Skin/Beastly Brown), I was trying to give her a tan, but I don't think it's as simple as adding brown to the skin colour, however the colour I did end up with is rather nice.
It's hard to see, but she also has (slightly googly) eyes, lip and eye makeup (1:1:1:2 Rosy Skin/Light Skin/Beastly Brown/Hexed Lichen) and eyebrows (Scarlett Red), I also basecoated her hair while I had the Scarlett Red out.
Finally got around to painting this awesome fig today. I was torn between painting it like a lava monster or a blue/green chameleon. I am running an adventure next weekend that takes place deep inside a mountain, so I decided on the lava lizard style so I have a little something extra to throw at the party if they are having too easy of a time. I am definitely going to snag another one of these to paint with bright greens and blues at some point though. I think I will also go over the feathers on the head along with the arm hair later this week to brighten them up a little. I wanted those parts to be the biggest feature, so I want them to look blazing hot. Critiques and advice are always welcome, thank you in advance!
I recently got a commission to sculpt a basilisk. I'm really excited about this one as I've been wanting to do one for several years. Due to cost constraints, I can't quite do the version I had originally wanted to do, but my client and I worked it out and I am very excited about what we came up with. He also gave me permission to share it with you. This one will be featured in a indie campaign later this spring I believe.
Here is the rough concept (please don't laugh at my rough drawing skills; I really need to take a page out of @Morihalda's book and work on drawing more):
From that, I created the armature. Note that the rear two legs on the left side will be on a rock which spans under the beast as it is climbing over it, touching the inside of the right-side rear leg. This allows me to account for all 8 legs and still have a one-part casting.
Right Side (head pointing to the right):
Top (head to the right):
Left Side (head to the left):
Angled View (head tot he left):
Who's Online 7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)