Sign in to follow this  
wickedshifty

77371: basilisk

8 hours ago, wickedshifty said:

This guy was so fun! 

Mmmmm...and my uploader is broken. Sorry...I’ll try again later...

Uploader is broken for the entire forum.

Kit is working on it.

We will have to wait. The only thing working is linking pics through Postimage.org or something similar

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TaleSpinner
      Some of you may remember the diorama I had started entitled Billy's Bad Day.  For various reasons, I am, for the most part abandoning that concept.  I was really struggling to tell the story I had in my head.  I still however want to paint my basilisk, and maybe include it in a diorama, but if I do, I will likely include another character that is a bit more relate-able to the viewer than a couple of goats. 

More on that later.  For now, I'm going to concentrate on painting the basilisk as I have time between sculpts.  If I get that done and my other ReaperCon entry for 2019 in time, I will look into expanding this into a diorama. If not, this can still be my Open category entry.

Here is the basilisk:

The basilisk will be based on a Gila Monster:

But instead of pink, the light areas will be inverse flame color (red up to yellow) with a black belly and skin. 

A few months ago, I used my air brush to add a coat of brown liner/blue liner to the skin areas, then air brushed the rest with Cinnamon Red.

Lately, I have been reading Rhonda Bender's (@Wren) blog, Bird with a Brush.  For the past month she has had a series of articles on Contrast that have really got me itching to pick up a brush again, but I've had way too much sculpting work to get done to do so. I strongly recommend that you follow her blog, it is excellent.  The articles on contrast are as follows:

Compare and Contrast Contrast Versus Realism How to Paint Contrast – Mind Games How to Paint Contrast – Hands On   Last night, I was ill with a cold, but had slept much of the afternoon.  I wanted to relax, but my brain was just not functioning the way I needed it to to start the next step of the druid turtle, so I picked up this painting and decided to do the next step.  I decided to follow Rhonda's advice and add another couple layers of zenithal lighting value to the red, airbrushing on a coat of Sunrise Orange and another of Candlelight Yellow.  Then, I went back with a brush and base-coated all of the skin areas with a blend of Brown Liner and Blue Liner (I never use pure black for natural blacks).       So this is my base starting point.  From here I plan on using glazes to develop the shadows and highlights, pushing the contrast further than I have ever gone before.   Challenges I see coming for me in this project:   Finding time; I have a lot of sculpts in the hopper between now and January, so progress may be slow between now and then. Developing enough contrast.  I have a tendency to think it is enough and stop too soon.  I really want to push it on this one.  Keep me honest folks! Black/near black.  I've never been very good at black, so having major areas of black scares the stuffing out of me, especially since I will be covering major areas of finished color with black squiggles to make the gila monster markings; that's going to hurt.   The next step will be developing the major red shadows.   I want to thank Rhonda one more time for teaching, inspiring, and challenging me to do this.  I honestly believe that this is one of my best sculpts; I want it to be my best paint job as well.
    • By aku-chan
      Yet another new thread!

(At some point I really should think about starting a blog, or whatever the cool kids do these days, instead of cluttering up the forum with my stuff.)

While it's possibly a banning offence, I've gotta admit I don't particularly care for Sophie or her various minis, but this one really leapt out at me.

I may have made things extra hard for myself by fully assembling everything, but she has little, dainty feet so I was never going to be able to pin her to a cork.

Started with her skin (1:1 Rosy Skin/Beastly Brown > Flesh Wash > 1:1 Rosy Skin/Beastly Brown > 1:1:1 Rosy Skin/Light Skin/Beastly Brown), I was trying to give her a tan, but I don't think it's as simple as adding brown to the skin colour, however the colour I did end up with is rather nice.
      It's hard to see, but she also has (slightly googly) eyes, lip and eye makeup (1:1:1:2 Rosy Skin/Light Skin/Beastly Brown/Hexed Lichen) and eyebrows (Scarlett Red), I also basecoated her hair while I had the Scarlett Red out.
    • By jonaas33
      Finally got around to painting this awesome fig today.  I was torn between painting it like a lava monster or a blue/green chameleon.  I am running an adventure next weekend that takes place deep inside a mountain, so I decided on the lava lizard style so I have a little something extra to throw at the party if they are having too easy of a time.  I am definitely going to snag another one of these to paint with bright greens and blues at some point though.  I think I will also go over the feathers on the head along with the arm hair later this week to brighten them up a little.  I wanted those parts to be the biggest feature, so I want them to look blazing hot.  Critiques and advice are always welcome, thank you in advance!

• By TaleSpinner
      I recently got a commission to sculpt a basilisk.   I'm really excited about this one as I've been wanting to do one for several years.  Due to cost constraints, I can't quite do the version I had originally wanted to do, but my client and I worked it out and I am very excited about what we came up with.  He also gave me permission to share it with you.  This one will be featured in a indie campaign later this spring I believe.

Here is the rough concept (please don't laugh at my rough drawing skills; I really need to take a page out of @Morihalda's book and work on  drawing more):

From that, I created the armature.  Note that the rear two legs on the left side will be on a rock which spans under the beast as it is climbing over it, touching the inside of the right-side rear leg.  This allows me to account for all 8 legs and still have a one-part casting.

Right Side (head pointing to the right):

Top (head to the right):

Left Side (head to the left):

Angled View (head tot he left):

• By Mutilatedlips
      Found this in a box at a friends house. He gave it to me for free, I eventually painted it up and gave it back for free. Painting is fun!

• Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)