Sign in to follow this  
Relapse

Vallejo Blacks

Hi lame question but help save me some money ::D:. I currently have game colour black as my primary, how does this compare to model colour matt black in colour? I use varnish for finish so the finish is less of a concern.

Not sure about compared to model color matte black, but as long as you have some form of black paint you're fine. Some folks prefer one or the other or have multiple blacks, but that's really being nitpicky. 

I wouldn't call having multiple blacks being nitpicky at all. Just like any other colour, different blacks have different tones, different levels of coverage, some may just be really dark grey, some may lean more toward a blue, green or red. That will make a difference, even if it's just a subtle one.

Unfortunately I don't have either of the blacks in question or I'd swatch them up to compare.....looks like you're just going to have to buy it. :poke:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do agree @Guindyloo, but for a basic black, less pickiness is required. That's going to get into texturing of the paint, but Pure Black to Solid Black to Dragon Black all serve mostly the same purpose. Subtle variations are there, yes absolutely, but that's why it is a nitpicky detail. If you have one, you have the ability to paint black. Some may take more layers than others. Then you have stuff like Nightmare Black and Coal Black which are tinted (blue and green/blue), which distinctly are different. 

• Like 2

The question wasn't asking about those "basic blacks" it was asking how the two specific blacks compare. The use for the black paints wasn't even stated. Had the question been "I have x black for general black use, should I bother buying 10 more blacks for general black use?" then sure, the opinion that buying those 10 blacks would be nitpicky could be valid. But the question wasn't asking for opinions on buying different blacks, it was asking for an opinion comparing two specific blacks. Dismissing comparing two different paints isn't useful. It's a valid question whether it's comparing two blacks or two reds. They may be totally different shades, they may be exactly the same, but you don't know unless you actually compare them which you can't do if you dismiss doing so as just being nitpicky.

• Like 3

Model color is Vallejo's military/historic color line.  Matt black will be very matt.  Game color is more for fantasy/fiction models and has a slightly stain finish. I can't tell a difference between the two blacks except one is matt and the other slightly shiny.  YMMV.

• Like 4