Genghis_Sean

Miniature photography thread?

I recall reading an excellent tutorial a long time ago regarding how best to shoot one's finished minis, but I've been unable to find it.  I largely suck at it.  I'd like to acquire a background against which to shoot, and I don't know from where I could purchase one.  I need to know what kind of lighting is best.  I think I read that you need at least two light sources, and I wondered if a certain kind of bulb was best.  If anybody has the link to that tutorial, I'd like to go over it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

@TaleSpinner, maybe we should add this tutorial to the index of tutorials?  The question does seem to come up a lot.  

Done, thanks.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 6:32 AM, Joe the Revelator said:

Nice! Thank you Ratmaster.

you are very welcome. Adam does some great videos. Whenever I need a good laugh, I watch this one:

• Haha 4

What is this blasphemy?! I only have one shelf of boxes of unpainted minis! Not... getting.... minis?! I only have 20! Okay, the shelf will get kinda cramped if I put my supplies on there in addition to the figures... oh broccoli, Bones 4 is coming soonish! 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

What is this blasphemy?! I only have one shelf of boxes of unpainted minis! Not... getting.... minis?! I only have 20! Okay, the shelf will get kinda cramped if I put my supplies on there in addition to the figures... oh broccoli, Bones 4 is coming soonish! 

I actually have more "models" to work on then actual mini's right now (well till we all get KS IV in the mail next year haha), so I need to divert some energy to those, especially all the vinyl kits I just got off the bay:)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Inarah
      New month, new figures, and maybe some old ones too. 

About 90 mins later:

• By chaoshead
      Not technically a photography question but it is sort of related, in a round about way.

Since photobucket went all stupid where is everyone hosting photos to share on the site now?

I know very little about that sort of thing so I have no idea what to look for.

This has killed all my posts and pretty much stopped me from being active here and it is driving me nuts.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    • By Pingo
      NSFW link: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jul/09/thousands-strip-naked-in-hull-for-spencer-tunick-photographs

3200 British volunteers took off their clothes and were painted four shades of blue and photographed in the streets of Hull as part of an art project by American photographer Spencer Tunick.

Tunick specializes in large photographs of crowds of nude people. The blue color is symbolic of Hull's relationship to the river and the sea.

I was amazed at the cheerful volunteerism exhibited -- the models are unpaid -- and the sheer variety of people participating. It seems to me an eye-opening sample of what regular people look like naked (well, partly, since in this project each person is painted monochrome).
    • By Pingo
      I was at Adepticon in the Chicago area earlier this month.  I took pictures.

The whole album (except for Crystal Brush entry photos) is here, and here are some to look at:

The legendary Julie Guthrie and Bob Ridolfi!

The Reaper Paint 'N' Take:

I took one picture of my work.I brought "Black Moon's Bane", the spelljammer, and a group of my painted minis.

I also took Crystal Brush photos in a separate file.  Photobucket is being a little wonky, but if I can get them straightened out I will post them by tomorrow.  There were so many beautifully painted minis!
    • By Guildenstern
      Hiyas! So I got some reveal bulbs to try to help out some of the issues I've been having with my pictures, as well as a couple of clamp on work lights to help direct it better.

I think the back drop paper Im' using is making it appear more yellow to the camera (it's a kind of ecru beige colour)

what can I do t o get more natural colours?

I'm not good at this =/ My camera is smarter than I am

I have a Nikon coolpix p510 - using it in macro "scene" mode

thanks in advance for any advise!

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)