Jeneki

Star Wars Legion

There were demos and product available at Adepticon this year which was my first experience with it.  It's a new line of Star Wars infantry so of course I had to buy some.  Also I picked up some snow troopers and General Veers at the local store.

Anyone try out the game?  My personal impression was that I like the unit activation sequence, but everything else was not to my taste.  I'll keep picking up new releases, but won't be using them to play Legion itself.

Note that there's a size difference between these and Star Wars Assault minis (I'm sure this was intentional), however careful basing will make it less noticeable if someone wants to mix them.  As a side note, it's nice to see a Vader that's tall compared to everything else.

The special (odd) dice ... no

The off scale to alienate all 28mm figures ... no

The habit of fantasy flight to require their special lil cards to sell minis ... no

At this point I'm so frustrated with FF's marketing strategies I don't want anything they have to sell ... regardless of IP ... 

• Like 5

Yeah, I figured that I'd file all of that under "not to my taste" and let someone else say it ::P: .

Don't forget the custom measuring sticks.  Nowhere in the rules will you find the dimensions of a measuring stick.  Why tell us "short is 3 inches with a free 90 degree turn" for example, when we can sell those sticks.

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 3

I am inclined to agree. I've bought their minis, and Imperial Assault is worthwhile, but their habit of being arcane as far as dice, measures, and cards is irritating.

• Like 2

After years of WH40K I look at games a lil different now days ... how playable will it be in two years ? X wing with a wonderful last year is already running into issues, "want this X wing card to make your A wing spiffy, sorry the X wing is out of production..." was one of the local shop guys explanation for its rapid decline around here ... I can't afford that. And F.F. will have IP how long ? What then ...

It might just be me but it seems like too much board room and not enough game room in its development / marketing. I hope the prove me wrong though ... 

• Like 4

Yeah I was really hoping (with Imperial Assault first and then Legion) for a game that would let me get some use out of all the WotC prepaints that I've got. Doesn't seem to be feasible with Legion, though.

I've heard that the starter set is pretty bare-bones in what it gives you as well. Not enough dice, unbalanced forces etc.

• Like 2

No one said you have to play this version with your minis ... FUBAR has a star wars mod, but I'm not big on the system (ymmv) ... then their is old school "star wars miniatures battles" by west end games, still liked all these years later ... personally I'd love to see a sci fi version of Bolt action with a  universal point system to build you own forces ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boaz said:

No one said you have to play this version with your minis ... FUBAR has a star wars mod, but I'm not big on the system (ymmv) ... then their is old school "star wars miniatures battles" by west end games, still liked all these years later ... personally I'd love to see a sci fi version of Bolt action with a  universal point system to build you own forces ...

Oh absolutely, it would have been handy to have a game come out that was specially designed for the background.

Personally I'll be waiting for Ganesha Games' Harder Than Steel (hopefully this year).

• Like 1

I just came across this comparison pic of the two walkers from the two games.

IMG_1781.thumb.JPG.72ed15dea6c56718497d4e9b1650b014.JPG

Dang. I knew my Imperial Assault Walker was on the small side, but this is a huge difference.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Detail of course looks a whole lot better!

I wonder what the actual scale of the Imperial Assault AT-ST is? The information is out there...

Also wondering how the Legion walker compares to the Bandai kit, which is 1/48 scale.

Damon.

• Like 1

Some other releases at my local store: May releases were snowtroopers and Veers, new releases this month are fleet rebels (in the boiled-egg helmet) and Leia (endor outfit).

Snowtroopers are my favorite design so I grabbed them before, and I'm highly interested in ship boarding actions so the fleet rebels are useful to me.  I'm happy with the releases so far.

Edited by Jeneki

Thought I saw something about Rebel snowtroopers too. For your Hoth themed battles!

I'm hoping we get Rogue One style rebel troopers. Like those much much better than the Endor style ones we got...

Now that the Imperial Army may be a thing, wondering if we'll get a set of those someday?

Damon.

• Like 1

I wish to potato and gone that they'd just sell the dratted minis.

Individually or in battle packs. Just the minis. No tokens, no cards, no STUFF. Just minis, at a price point promoting sales over modular gamesmanship.

Bleh.

• Like 4

I was really disappointed they use went to 32mm scale from 28mm. I really want to play it but I just can't get on board with purchasing a whole new set of everything. Oh well.