Does Reaper's white brush on primer work with Bones. I haven't tried it yet but I prefer a white primer for all my minis so I am looking for an alternative for the liners as a primer/base coat.

12 minutes ago, Flit said:

Does Reaper's white brush on primer work with Bones. I haven't tried it yet but I prefer a white primer for all my minis so I am looking for an alternative for the liners as a primer/base coat.

I don't see why it wouldn't. However, Bones doesn't technically need primer; the liner is just beneficial and kills the hydrophobicness without much thickness. You could just use plain old white paint on Bones as a base coat if you wanted. 

6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I don't see why it wouldn't. However, Bones doesn't technically need primer; the liner is just beneficial and kills the hydrophobicness without much thickness. You could just use plain old white paint on Bones as a base coat if you wanted. 

Or Brown Liner. *shrug*

I generally prefer the Liner, but I like the part where, if I forget to paint the thing, or miss, it's not going to be glaring at me until the end of time.  ^^;

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I know I don't really need a primer, but getting a white primer or base coat should make details easier to see because it covers up the translucency. I'll get around to experimenting with it eventually.

When I get back from vacation, I'm going to hit my weapon sprues with Testor's white primer (or maybe just flat white paint). I'll try painting a few with acrylics, a few with enamels. See how they come out.

8 hours ago, Flit said:

It's the main thing I prime my bones minis with...  Although mixed slightly with grey liner and pure black usually, depending on how light I want to go.  I might be changing this up to a basic white primer and then a quick wash of an appropriate colour, but I like having grey ish primer because it's a lot easier to see where I've primed... 

• Like 2

I use Reaper brush on white primer mixed with a liner for most of my Bones minis and it works well. I expect the primer alone will work fine.

On 6/1/2018 at 1:31 PM, Flit said:

I know I don't really need a primer, but getting a white primer or base coat should make details easier to see because it covers up the translucency. I'll get around to experimenting with it eventually.

I'm also a longtime white brush on primer fan. Used it for years. I also slightly tinted it with a touch of black primer or brown liner because it is impossible for me to tell if I missed a spot, considering the white bones material and my aging eyesight. I was never satisfied with using straight brown or grey liner because it turns out so dark. I heavily dilute dark liners with a clear acrylic medium, mostly Folk Art Glass and Tile Medium. Since getting the Bones 3 paints, my favorite way to prime bones figures is to use the new Sepia Liner. It's way less pigmented than any of the other liners. It goes on almost like a light wash, darker in the recesses to expose details, while lightly tinting the upper surfaces. Love the stuff. I should take a picture next time.

• Like 3

To my knowledge, all Bones figures are made from Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). Depending on desired result, the manufacturer may add varying amounts of plasticizer (to make the plastic more flexible), tint (to change the color), or opacifier (to reduce the transparency). This can result in very hard pieces like the wings of Wyrmgear or the weapons or very soft pieces (which are easier to eject from molds) like some of the Bones 1 figures. It can result in white, gray, green, yellow, red, clear, or whatever color. And it can result in figures that are transparent (like the invisible adventurers) or opaque (like some of the more recent gray figures).

There is no necessary correlation between color and hardness (see the gray CAV figures and the gray graveyard fences or the white Wyrmgear wings and the white Bone Giant).

(Confirmed by Bryan maybe a year ago, btw.)

For white or gray primer on Bones figures, I have come to really like the Badger Stynylrez primer. It's very thin, so it doesn't clog details (and it's designed for airbrushing). And it comes in a variety of colors that are mostly much lighter in color than the Liners. And it seems to hold very well indeed. I've not seen any stickiness in the 18 months or so that I've been using it.

I mostly mix gray and white to get a light gray that works well with my painting style. (It's pretty close in color to Tamiya Fine Surface gray primer.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bones are PVC with some colorant added.  We started out with standard PVC which is white but a little opaque.    So, we added a slight amount of color to an off-white so they would photograph better.  We changed Chronoscope models to a medium grey to differentiate the product lines.  We liked this so much that we are moving the other Bones to a little bit darker grey as well, but still not as dark as Chronoscope models.    Bones 4 will be all in this new gray.  So, the color is not necessarily an indicator of the type of plastic. being used.

We also try to cast the PVC terrain pieces in the darker "Chronoscope" gray as well.  Eventually, all of the Chronoscope models will be the new grey color.

Things like the weapon sprues  from Bones 3 and the crypt are cast in ABS or polystyrene.   ABS is similar to polystyrene but will not be effected as well by regular "model" glue, much like the PVC.  Model glue actually chemically melts the polystyrene plastic and makes a weld.  A few other parts are also ABS, like the (77180) Spider Queen's legs.  That's why we recommend cyanoacrylates for gluing Bones kits together as it works well with any of the plastics.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I saw some of the darker grey Bones IV figures at Reapercon and was very impressed with how crisp the details looked.  Some of this is just being able to see them better than if they were white, but it does seem that the plastic process has also been refined a bit.  They looked very nice.

• Like 1