Good question! I have been wondering about this.

So they are still made out of the same plastic? Some of them feel harder to me, like the Obelisk, for example. Or the camel with removal saddle pack, it feels much less bendy. 

The plastic is the same.  Various firue use different amounts of gardener (more/less bendy) and can use different coloring.  But (by my understanding) it all the same plastic.

• Like 1

I thought the grey bonesium was a stiffer, more brittle, variation--used for terrain and buildings.  Holds crisper detail, but isn't as flexible.  Maybe I can find a source for that besides sloppy notes scribbled in crayon on the dusty shelves of my mind...

Edit:  Quote from Reaper in Update #13 for Bones III:  " These weapons will be produced in rigid Bonesium - similar to our bases, but in a lighter color (a pale gray)."  Later the BFG and Cemetery sets will be of the same material.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actually I thought they were a little more rigid (less bendy), but that just may be me. I thought I read somewhere from reaper that it was though. Maybe someone in authority can chime in and clear up the issue? btw @ChristopherGeorge, love your avatar, that is one of the best Lucasarts games in a long time (well that and Sam and Max).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought they were just making the chronoscope stuff from the last kickstarter in grey, whereas all the others are in ivory.

Yes to all.  They did the Chronoscope in Grey to differentiate it.  They also used a stiffer version that was grey in weapons and terrain.

Related question:

I'm finally getting around to sorting & cleaning my Bones III Kickstarter stuff.

The packaged includes several sets of weapons molded from hard gray plastic. It seems harder than either white bones plastic or the occasional gray bones plastic.

Maybe it is styrene?

Any differences on how it is painted? I still have a metric poopload of Humbrol and other enamels from back when I painted metal minatures.

I just washed and scrubbed the sets while still on the sprues. I'll keep them there in case they need primer so I can hit them all at once.

It is also Bones but the amount of plasticizer is changed.  Normal Bones lots of plasticizer, middle for grey chronoscope and terrain and very little in weapons.  That is my memory of what was said.

Yeah pretty sure the weapons are some sort of polystyrene. So far the paint like bones, but I've only used 2 of them so far, when I weapon swapped some of Hobgobageddon. So I can't be sure.

Eventually I'll probably weapon swap the bones orcs that I already have in metal.

Special exceptions like the Bones 3 weapon sprues and cemetery fencing aside (which I believe are not made of Bonesium, though don't quote me on that), there is no difference between the Grey and White Bonesium. Either material can be made more flexible or more rigid depending on the precise formula used for a particular miniature. Grey is used for the Chronoscope minis. White is used for the Dark Heavens and Pathfinder Bones minis.

In other words, the Grey is just a colouring agent used to distinguish a particular line of Bones minis. It has no inherent effect on the rigidity/flexibility of the miniature.

Edited by BardicDave

Thanks for the insights.

Has anyone else tried painting the gray ABS plastic weapons and have insights? The scream "PRIME ME!" but I'm new to plastic minis.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:14 PM, StefanJ said:

Thanks for the insights.

Has anyone else tried painting the gray ABS plastic weapons and have insights? The scream "PRIME ME!" but I'm new to plastic minis.

Bonesium or not Bonesium, they seem just as hydrophobic as regular Bones, so I've been priming them, either with brush on primer or brown liner.