Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

14390: Anubis Guards

So I needed some minis for four Graven Guardians, and Reaper's Anubis Guards (14390) fit the bill perfectly.  So I got four, and painted them all up on Saturday!

graven-guardians-01.jpg.5d377a03f5329479203e78d67b3c44be.jpg

graven-guardians-02.jpg.b6df7aaa9a456a6b09fb47a66d00992e.jpg

graven-guardians-03.thumb.jpg.38c5d31fca1040b2fbcf6b106cfc6309.jpg

Nothing fancy.  I did zenithal priming -- first black, then zapped them with white from the direction I wanted the light to fall (up and to the right).  It's the first time I've used the technique, and I think I may need to thin my paints further to really take advantage of it.  Anyway, these guys were easy!  I wanted them to be animated stone statues, and I wasn't aiming for awesome quality.  I just need them to look decent on the table.  So with a quick base coat of Desert Sand and a sepia wash they were 80% done.

I didn't feel like leaving them entirely one color, though, and their swords are real and sharp.  So I based their headdresses in Solid Black and highlighted with Rich Indigo, then edged the headdresses with Formula P3 Brass Balls.  To add a little color, I picked out their collars in a typical Egyptian pattern of light blue/dark blue/light blue/red, in this case using Sky Blue, Rich Indigo, and Clear Red.  Sadly the collars have only 38 segments, so the pattern doesn't repeat perfectly -- it's missing the final light blue/red segment, as you can see in the front of the one above.

After some minimal highlighting and a some more Formula P3 metallics on the swords, they were all done!

.... except for bases.

graven-guardians-04.jpg.45b841b053c54756618f12330ed36ad4.jpg

graven-guardians-05.thumb.jpg.74cd12fb194e02e8d268afe71c945d7b.jpg

graven-guardians-06.thumb.jpg.54e344e50eed423ade5271f1688918a3.jpg

graven-guardians-07.thumb.jpg.729cd0e0e25168293f03043308a9f0aa.jpg

graven-guardians-08.thumb.jpg.eaf28d4b72b26038019861ea89f7b8e9.jpg

That's why this is a WIP thread, not a Show Off.  I seriously thought I would be able to finish these tonight, but these bases from SciBor miniatures have demanded more time than the guardians themselves!  Just getting a clean base coat on them took aaaaages.  That's their state in the pic above -- base coated and little else.

The same limited color palette applied here, but I didn't want to use the exact same Desert Sand with sepia wash that I did on the guardians.  Too little contrast between their feet and the base.  So instead I base coated the upper surfaces of the bases in a 1:1 mixture of Desert Sand and Sandy Brown.  Then I used pure Desert Sand on any broken surfaces, and around the edges, and pure Sandy Brown on the dirt.  The skulls got base coated in Aged Bone, which is very similar in tone to Desert Sand straight out of the bottle but dries noticeably greyer.  The scarabs I've based in Walnut Brown.

Doing all that for four bases took hours and hours.  Two full evenings work on the bases just to get them base coated.  Just now, I finally got to the point of liberally slathering all of them with a sepia wash.

graven-guardians-09.jpg.66f81a5f4e271aef6f686aa528d1b9e9.jpg

graven-guardians-10.jpg.855a84b50b5c17f01d3a3d8e2c363994.jpg

And that helps a good bit, but they're still not done.  To do:

• General highlighting
  • Dry brush Blond Highlight onto the dirt?  Plus clean up from any dry brushing.
  • Decide whether to do any color inlays on the glyphs.  Maybe blue ink in the zig zag water patterns?
  • Finish the scarabs.

The scarabs I at least have a plan for.  Their legs and heads are going to stay pure Walnut Brown, but their carapaces are going to be shiny, shiny blue.  I wanted to use LiquiTex Interference Blue on them, and thankfully my bottle was still usable despite note having touched it in a long time.  But it had been a long time and I wasn't sure about what to use under it, so I did some experiments.

graven-guardians-11.jpg.dce1701639c28e6d16821b3ea1e21f94.jpg

Of these, I think I like the Interference Blue on Pthalo Blue best.  It's shiiiiiny.

I don't know quite what to do about the dirt.  The obvious answer would be dry brushing it with a light color to make it look sandy, but dry brushing would invariably get sloppy bits all over adjacent areas.  At the same time, I don't know how else to get that sandy look other than painstakingly dotting each little lump and nodule, which I am not down for.

After that I still need to seal the bases, pin the guardians to them, and do some final touch-up on the guardians -- each of them suffered a small bit of damage on the bottom left side of their left foot when I cut them off their sprues.

• Like 10

Well, I'm all done.  Here are some pics of the bases before I attached the guardians, then I'm off to make the Show-Off thread.

graven-guardians-12.thumb.jpg.42f4f7cd4772910f87d1975811780049.jpg

graven-guardians-13.thumb.jpg.e0a6910bb5c89a17fa75f48967f1df9d.jpg

graven-guardians-14.thumb.jpg.4ed63d02c1cb238858bc80e063ffb660.jpg

graven-guardians-15.thumb.jpg.ef5ecf41d112bec8ba426550b7e81913.jpg

I did some drybrushing on the dirt, which was easier and less messy than I'd feared.  I did opt to put some Pthalo Blue into the water-like areas, but ultimately decided not to do anything more than that with the glyphs.  I did a bit of highlighting on the skulls, but left the rest of them more or less untouched after the wash went on.

I'm very pleased with the scarabs.  They gleam in the light.

EDIT: and the show-off thread is up.

Edited by wdmartin
  • Like 4