Hey guys. I'm back after having my wisdom teeth removed :/ nasty surgery had to have some recovery. But I started painting again and I was wondering; am I getting speckling here? It used to be really bad but I diluted down a touch and I think it's better. Could use some help.

IMG_20180516_131653.jpg

IMG_20180516_131746.jpg

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Does look a little speckled, how far away was the airbrush? may need to get closer?

I was pretty close and I didn't want it too focused, like when you're super close. Would turning up the pressure help?

Things to try would be turning the pressure up, turning it down, thinning the paint more, thinning the paint with something different.

• Thanks 1

what type of brush are you using?

With my Grex and Iwata, I try to spray at around 5psi....

also what is your air source?

Do you have a moisture trap?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, knarthex said:

what type of brush are you using?

With my Grex and Iwata, I try to spray at around 5psi....

also what is your air source?

Do you have a moisture trap?

My brush is a Paasche TG-3F Double action, wow I've never tried that low. Lowest I've gone is like 10-12. Air source is the compressor that came with it. I don't have a moisture trap, is it necessary? It's not very humid where I live. EDIT: Just realized you meant on the compressor. Yes, it came with it. It was a package deal designed for airbrushes.

Edited by ThirstyBob

Did a couple more layers with the airbrush to set down some gradients. Still some speckling showing through from the pre shade but it's manageable.

IMG_20180521_115907.jpg

IMG_20180521_115944.jpg

IMG_20180521_115951_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20180521_120041.jpg

IMG_20180521_120100.jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Talae
      Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for 5e, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/sandy-petersens-cthulhu-mythos-for-5e
      The book looks great!

Also, the ala cart minis are a nice touch!
    • By ThirstyBob
      So today when I started airbrushing, I noticed that after I sprayed a bit the pressure on the tank was dropping, which made it difficult to get an even coverage. I'd start at around 15psi, and it would hold for a couple seconds, then drop steadily until it was down at 5psi. Turning up the pressure did not help, it still dropped psi. I took out the needle and checked and cleaned it and the rest of the ab, then tried just shooting air through, without needle or anything but the nozzle lever. Same result. Seals are airtight at least until I start shooting air through. I have a Paasche TG-3F, bought it with the compressor in a package deal, compressor has a humidity filter on it.

EDIT: Just noticed that while air is going through the airbrush, adjusting the pressure does nothing at all. I can turn it up or down and it stays at 5psi. Unless I reduce the pressure below 5psi, then it goes down. Adjusting the pressure when I release the airbrush changes psi normally.
    • By pinkymadigan
      Okay, here's the situation; my parents went away on a week's vacation, and now that you're rapping Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff to yourself (you are, right?), here's the real situation:

I'm looking for a thing to represent a mounted Undead lord, the base size needs to be 75mm square (so fairly large), and it needs to occupy most of that space (or need minimal assistance from clever basing to look like it belongs on said base, at least). This precludes standard cavalry, obviously. It also needs to be wingless (or easily converted to wingless), as Wings would only serve to confuse my opponents in game (Kings of War). 

I'm open to any material, any manufacturer, though Reaper is strongly preferred. I'm thinking of also doing a non-traditional mount pose, like the Ghost King standing on the mounts back or shoulder or whatever, or even better, the Male Revenant from Bones 2.

My first thought was to take one of the two Grave Golems I have and use that (without the gate wings), but that would really be stretching the empty space on the base to the max, as it's probably better suited for a 40mm square or 50mm square base at max. Of course, I could always fill the base with tombstones and skulls and stuff and build it up to the center, but I'd like to avoid that. The in-game creature is substantial and I'd like the mini to represent the size well.

My next thought was I could do something like @Girot did for the Bone Horror (3rd picture in the store), which he nixed the wings from, and I think it looks fine. The problem here is the monster itself is pretty substantially threatening without a rider and doesn't really look like a mount. I'm not sure where I would put one (I could put a traditional saddled mount on it I guess, but I'm iffy on this idea). The main issue I have pulling the trigger on this beastie though is size, I'm not seeing Bryangles on the store pics, and having a hard time finding other scale shots with this guy in it. I see on his Deviant Art page, Girot says he used a 60mm round, do you think an extra 15mm each side would be too much? Especially because that's all in one dimension? The rest of the base will need a lot of doctoring to make up for the emptiness. 

Any other ideas? 
    • By Paradoxical Mouse
      So, trying to figure out what I'm doing for reapercon. I've lost my vallejo leather instructions in my move, so I'm not super comfortable with where I'm at painting new leather and wood. 

I have a few miniatures started that I could touch up/finish, or I could start a different new miniature...

Here are the ones I'm currently considering:

1. Oathsworn Tiefling
      I really think she has the best face I've ever painted, and I'm really happy about what I achieved in her purple sash. But the rest of her, I'm a bit iffy on. 

2. Reaper Bryn Half-Elf Rogue
      So, I'm really proud of her leathers (before I lost my directions) and her sleeves, but she has on of the worst faces I've done recently, due to the more narrow shape of her face. Her hair also leaves a lot to be desired. I also am worried about being able to finish those remaining leathers as well as the first several.

3. Reaper Ametrine, Gnome Alchemist
      She's my most recent mini, and my first attempt at trying to figure out the leather on my own as well as my first attempt at painting potion bottles. I'm really happy about her hair, and her face is decent, even if it isn't my best.

I'd love to here opinions about where one(s) to choose, and advice on how to potentially improve them.
    • By Talae
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/startropolis?

About

• Who's Online   28 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)