Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

14390: Anubis Guards

Here we have four copies of 14390: Anubis Guards, because I had an encounter that called for four Graven Guardians.

graven-guardians-16.jpg.e4735a0a1a547a80c9764e171d625fac.jpg

graven-guardians-17.jpg.aa65ca63e1990e3894db4d98b870f7f2.jpg

graven-guardians-18.jpg.e8bcb33eb6e79a1d78bb1ef486e15867.jpg

graven-guardians-19.jpg.68c3fff8a3db57305f311d7beb018b40.jpg

The figures are basically identical to one another -- zenithal primed, base coated in Desert Sand and washed in sepia for the bulk of it, with some minor highlighting.  The collars I picked out in Sky Blue, Rich Indigo, and Clear Red in a light blue/dark blue/light blue/red pattern. Sadly the number of collar spaces is 38, which is not evenly divisible by 4, and so it's not perfect; they all have a spot on the front that goes light blue/dark blue and then picks up from the beginning of the pattern.

Yes, there are mold lines on their left arms.  I didn't notice thus until after I'd base coated and washed, and was too lazy to go fix them.

The swords were done in Formula P3 metallics.  The headdresses in Solid Black with some Rich Indigo highlighting, and some Sunburst Yellow eyes which I slopped out thinly in the eye socket area for a bit of glow effect.

The bases are from SciBor miniatures, and took twice as long as the figures themselves.  Details on those are in the brief WIP thread. I'll just note that the scarabs were done by base coating in Walnut Brown, then covering the carapace areas with Pthalo Blue (from Golden), and finally in Interference Blue (from Liquitex), which gave them a lovely gleam.  They're probably my favorite part of the whole project.

• Like 12

Very nice. I like the interference blue. It's very hard to photograph in a way that shows what it does, but it works well here.

Thanks!  And yes, the interference blue is hard to photograph well.  Honestly, I think it shows up best in the pictures in the WIP thread, where I took one of each base before attaching the guardian.

• Like 1

Cool minis :)

I am by no way expert , but I feel ( unless that's actually how they are designed ) that maybe their dress / robe ( sorry not sure how this is actually called in english )  would have benefit to have a color with more contrast from overall skin.

But this could be also the photos that don't give them justice enough :)

the base look very well done !

Edited by giyomuSan
  • Like 1

Yes, they're pretty low contrast. But that's because they're statues. Originally I was planning on painting them as solid stone, the same color all over; but the unrelieved sameness was just too visually boring, so I painted their collars and headdresses to add at least a little variety.

Oh, and the English word for the clothing would probably be "kilt".

Edited by wdmartin
  • Like 2