Joe the Revelator

Kitbash Weapon-Swapping Fighter! 60113, 77382, 03447

Howdy Reaper! I haven't posted in a very, very long time, so I figured I'd get back in touch with my mini painting roots. Last night I finished my kitbash fighter. I wanted to try making a weaponmaster (great weapons) with swappable weapon parts. With magnets. The answer is always magnets.

With the exception of a few oversize weapons from old warhammer variants I had rattling around in my scraps bin, the Reaper minis I savaged for this project were: 77382: Vernone, Ivy Crown Knight, 03447: Weapons Pack 7, and 60113: Technic League Captain.

And yes. I made fun screaming sounds under my breath when I detached their heads with my wire cutters.

dbftr10.jpg.0ce7a64703377d09aaedc4e38b123ea5.jpg

Magnets were socketed with super-glue.

dbftr11.jpg.9d61a480428eac536c9e4ea7744e098f.jpg

Plumber's putty for the base, with flat metal inserts for the magnets. Although, on reflection, Greenstuff would have been less crumbly.

dbftr15.jpg.efab132531009853511c6312fef00cbe.jpg

My base coat was yellow (not show) so it would have a slight sepia bleed-through. I washed with a black mix, mostly water, so he would look grungy. Very grungy.

dbftr17.jpg.fa1ccb3ca4e72cf394cc7f624430fa38.jpg

And lastly, the weapons (which affix to the raw metal shards at the base) are differentiated by having brass parts. All the other weapons (static parts) are from the assortment pack.

dbftr18.jpg.5c32eb4aa0164a8ca396f78b00fd6bb0.jpgdbftr19.jpg.5633dd439aefbc10d595385dec120acc.jpg

dbftr20.jpg.988639744e6edf0e7d5d50f6e48d069b.jpg

It's all about the accessories, right?

dbftr22.jpg.661a560d7254206ef31f3746514f55ca.jpg

Anyway, thank you Reaper for being awesome and having so many great models, although I'm slightly sad I cut the head off a Bobby Jackson sculpture (that's why I bought 2!) And thanks to the painters here who showed me everything I know. I'm still growing.

Warm Regards,

Joe

• Like 12

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Farris, a former knight turned member of the Blacksmiths Guild, from the game Guild Ball.

Rather pleased with this in the end, although I need more experience working on PVC minis, I missed so many mold-lines while prepping this one!

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Sir George the Gangly (I'm sure that's a real word despite what my spellchecker says), not sure who makes him, I found George and a few other Chaos types in a box while I was tidying up.

Had a lot of fun painting him, although my camera didn't like taking piccys of so much metallic paint!

As always, any comments or criticisms are warming received.
    • By Brianuk
      Managed to do more painting today. The assassin is by North Star. I was aiming for a lighter palette, rather than a ninja. I think I need to go back in and highlight more. 
      The knight is mainly fireforge, templar body, cloak, and scandi infantry head. The arms are from the Oathmark elves set though. 

They are just based on 25mm washers and will add some texture, foam rocks, and snow effects to both bases once grey base coat has dried. It takes ages to get a consistent coat on the washers  and that and the hole in the middle are the only downsides to using them. 

• By Chaoswolf
      Some of you are old enough to remember the old Dungeons and Dragons toy line from way back when. In that toy line, they featured an evil fighter named Warduke. He also made one appearance in the cartoon, and was given stats (more than once) for use in the pencil and paper RPG.

I have decided to make/convert a copy of him for myself.

This is who I'm talking about for those that don't know, or remember:

He got brought back for 3.0 or 3.5 edition D&D, too:

Now, that's some pretty cool artwork, and my apologies to Mr. Reynolds, but it's wrong. Warduke is LEFT handed.
      See?

Anyway, now that we all know who I'm talking about, I chose the Bones version of Goldar : http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/goldar/latest/77047 
      to use as the base for this project.

And this is what I've gotten done so far:

Hand removed for a weapon swap, left arm armor sculpted with GS, started reshaping the left boot.
    • By Pochi
      Here is Count Lorenth ready to receive his lady's favor and dazzle the crowds at the tournament.

• Who's Online   17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)