I am using an Iwata Iwata 180 with my compressor set at 35 psi. I usually spray Createx water based paint. I am getting air out of the gun now but no paint. I took it apart soaked it for about an hour and cleaned everything. Reassembled and still no paint. I have three needles and nozzles an 0.2 an 0.3 and an 0.5. I tried them all in the gun and still no paint. So I took it apart and cleaned it again and still the same. Any help is greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

My first thought was a clog in the nozzle but since you tried the others that doesn't seem like the problem.

Second thought is are you making sure your needle is pushed all the way forward after you reassemble?

Third thought is maybe the o-ring on the nozzles aren't making a tight seal.

Last thought, are your paints thin enough?

I am not an expert in air brush by any definition but these are some of the problems I have had.  I personally hate the nozzle on Iwata as this seemed to be the cause of most my headaches, which is why I switched to a H&S airbrush.  Maybe customer service at Iwata would have some trouble shooting tips.  I have heard that they have great customer service.

• Like 1

I know this may sound like a stupid question, and I am not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help. It is a double action airbrush, correct? Are you pulling back once you push down on the trigger? And I am not sure which model this is, but if it is a bottom feed, make sure the siphon tube is clear and that the air hole on the bottle's cap is clear and that the bottle is fully seated. If it is a top feed, maybe back flush it? could be a dried piece of paint. If none of these work, and it's new, I'd either return it and try another one or work with Iwata to get it checked out and fixed.

• Like 1

It is a gravity feed gun. I have used it for a while with no problem. It is a double action and like I said I have used it a while.  The last time I used the gun it worked fine I always clean it thoroughly after each use with Createx 5618 cleaner. This problem jus started. U asked is the paint thin enough it won’t even spray water just air. I have an 0.2 0.3 & an 0.5 tip and have tried them all. The passage way from the bowl is clear water will flow if I remove the air cap body from the gun when the bowl is full of water. It is an internal mix gun all passageways in the air cap body and needle caps and nozzle r clear. The needle is not slipping when I draw back on the trigger. I have capped the end with my finger and back flushed it at pressures as high as 100 psi. Was a lil afraid doing it that high. I am at my wits end with this problem. Can u guys think of n e thing else

Edited by Bassmaster146

The only time I had this happen was when my nozzle was clogged.  You can find nozzle "scrapers" that will clean out the inside of the nozzle (you would be surprised how much junk gets in there even with regular cleaning) or you can use your needle to GENTLY scrape around inside the nozzle.  When this happened to me I was using and older bottle of MSP paint and it really gummed up the inside of the nozzle.

I know you said the nozzle is clean so this probably won't help much but just what my experience was.  

I would reach out to Iwata for some trouble shooting advice.  Or switch to a Harder & Steenbeck :)

This happened to me, too, once. 

I had left the airbrush alone for a couple of minutes before cleaning it out, so paint residue had begun drying in it. 

I took it apart and placed it in a container with airtight lid, dumped a bottle of no-name acetone-free nailpolish remover and closed the lid tightly. Then left it to soak on my bathroom floor for a few hours...   

(Heated floor.)

A couple of times during that wait I shook the box about a bit, too.

Then I poured the remover back onto the bottle( do NOT do that if you happen to live with someone who uses that stuff to actually clean off nailpolish... Not without marking the bottle with 'polluted' at least), reassembled the airbrush, attached the air hose, filled the cup with more remover and... blasted away. 

But getting a tool to clean the nozzle with is probably a good idea, too...

• Like 3

Yes, it is badger (I love my 105 patriot BTW), but there's a lot of good info. here, especially NOT what to use to clean your airbrush. Highly recommend :)

• Like 2

I had this happen once when I was using the wrong needle with the wrong cap.

are there bubbles coming back into the paint cup?

Edited by maxstyles
  • Like 2

Yes I am getting air bubbles back into the cup. It acts like a clogged nozzle but I tried my other two and they do the same. The gun is a cheap gun I dunno if I jus need to invest in a better gun or what. I’m thinking about switching what do you guys recommend?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bassmaster146 said:

Yes I am getting air bubbles back into the cup. It acts like a clogged nozzle but I tried my other two and they do the same. The gun is a cheap gun I dunno if I jus need to invest in a better gun or what. I’m thinking about switching what do you guys recommend?

Badger patriot 105 or Sotar. I like my Badger. I hear Paasche's Talons are good too (I do not have that model, but I do have several of their others both siphon and gravity, and they are are another great company). The owner of badger is a great guy, and really cares about the product, that's why I lean more towrds badger.

• Like 1

I'll again recommend a Harder & Steenbeck.  I prefer their nozzle design as the nozzle itself does not screw into the gun so there is no risk of breaking the nozzle.

@maxstyles might be right you might want to make sure you didn't get your needles and nozzles mixed up.  If they don't fit together properly it will have the same effect as not having the needle seated all the way forward which would be spraying air but no paint.   

After a lot of cleaning and I mean a lot I finally got my gun spraying again. I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me on the topic. I have one more question. I spray Createx Airbrush paint I have been using the High Performance Reducer offered by Createx I was jus curious if that is the best reducer for what I do. I custom paint Crankbaits. There is a lot of detail work involved so it can b a slow process

I am trying to decide between the Badger Sotar 20/20 and the Paasche Talon TG-3W. I have read the reviews and am torn they both seem to b excellent guns. They are both around the same price between $110-$120. I know it probably doesn’t seem like a lot of money to some but for me it is. I jus want to get a good gun for my money. Any input is appreciated. 

Edited by Bassmaster146

Just a tip from experience as I had a similar problem, after reassembly make sure when you pull back the trigger it hits the internal lever that pulls the needle back to feed paint