Have brought some cardboard house shaped boxes from a craft store and just added 5mm pink foam to the outside. Need to do some filling and think about adding a texture or some string/sizal to the roof. 

20180522_204852.jpg

20180522_204901.jpg

20180522_204918.jpg

20180522_204926.jpg

• Like 15

I'm going to venture a guess at GreenStuffWorld rollers, specifically cobblestone, and bricks.  They work great for bases, as well as with the correct materials you can transfer the texture imprint onto foamcore and such. 

• Thanks 1

Hello have done a bit more work on this using domestic filler / spackle to fill in some of the gaps, also made another house. 

On 5/26/2018 at 5:48 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Was the foam already textured or did you do that yourself?

On 5/27/2018 at 4:41 AM, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm going to venture a guess at GreenStuffWorld rollers, specifically cobblestone, and bricks.  They work great for bases, as well as with the correct materials you can transfer the texture imprint onto foamcore and such. 

Yes! I used a GreenStuffWorld roller "bricks". It really works well with this kind of Xps hard insulation foam. I have not had any success with foamboard or with softer polystyrene (ie TV packaging). I didn't do this one very well but the mini (a reaper one for once!) has a cobblestone rolled base. 

In terms of the real basics of the construction method, I have found that superglue can melt the foam, fine when you are doing ruins but not maintained houses. I used mod podge and secured it to the cardboard house whilst drying with rubber bands. Not rocket science but then I was sitting there holding it till it dried before... 

I am going to seal these with a mix of mod podge and black paint, heavy drybrushing grey, then use a grey ink wash. The roof is going to be thatched with twine. 

20180528_211423.jpg

20180528_211431.jpg

20180528_211441.jpg

20180528_211513.jpg

• Like 7

Have had my first go at a thatched roof. I untwined some garden twine and stuck it on. It gets really messy so I may need to think again. I am no Lester Freamon, at some point I don't want to sit there teasing out and combing bits of string! Painting is just a dry brush with grey for now, will follow up with a wash and some more highlighting. 

Am probably going to do a tiled or shingle roof for the next house, need to fill in the corners and will paint that when it is dried. 

20180530_224748.jpg

20180530_224751.jpg

Edited by Brianuk
Misspelt the name of a seminal character from the early 00s
  • Like 4