Bassmaster146

Badger Sotar 20/20 v/s Paasche Talon

I am buying a new airbrush and trying to decide between the Badger Sotar 20/20 and the Paasche Talon TG-3W. I have read the reviews and both seem to b good guns. They are both priced about the same between $110-$120. I was wondering what you guys thought. 

Edited by Bassmaster146

I have both the Paasche Talon and the Badger Krome (very similar to the Sotar). I absolutely love the Krome, I was very disappointed with the Talon — especially in the engineering of its valve and trigger, which are very stiff and sticky, even when lubricated. It feels like the surfaces haven't been polished properly. Also, the paint cup on the Talon is, I feel, too high for a modelling airbrush; it gets in the way of the user's view when you're working in close.

I've used Paasche brushes in the past, and they were great to use, but the standard of finish seems to have really dropped off in recent years. Based on my experience of the Talon, I wouldn't buy another Paasche.

@MojoBobThanks for that info. I was going to try and get a talon since I have always loved Paasche (have a VL,H and two (If I can find my old one) VSR-90's), but now I will think twice.

@Bassmaster146I have heard nothing but good things about the Sotar, and if I get some freed up money, I will probably buy the combo pack that comes with a sotar and Patriot 105. Sotar is really great for fine detail I hear. Try usa  airbrush supply (I think it's actually Badger's storefront)

I found one on spraygunner the Badger that is for $120 it is the 3 n 1 it comes with the 0.2 0.3 & 0.5mm nozzle and needle. Seems to b a good price for what I’ve seen on the net. I paint crankbaits so fine detail really matters to me. They have the combo you are wanting for $188 Ratmaster2000

Edited by Bassmaster146

I picked up a Sotar at ReaperCon last year & while I haven't used it yet, Ken Sclotfield (Badger owner) was very nice & courteous & is available to talk to on social media. That right there is a plus for me. 

That being said my main airbrush over the years, since '99/'00 has been a Paasche Millennium & other then regular maintenence over the years it's been a fantastic piece of equipment. 

6 hours ago, Bassmaster146 said:

What do you guys think of the Badger Renegade Krome

I forget how far into the video they discuss it, but they talk about the difference between chrome and sotar here: 

also, I know you are looking for detail, but in your other post you also mentioned budget, you may want to consider a patriot 105.

13 hours ago, Bassmaster146 said:

What do you guys think of the Badger Renegade Krome

Fantastic. My favourite airbrush ever.

I posted about my first impressions here: http://mojobob.blogspot.co.nz/2018/03/renegade-krome-first-outing.html  — but it doesn't amount to much except "I love this airbrush!"

It's probably not the best choice for a beginner though; for someone starting out who wants a good airbrush that will do just about everything and is easy to use and maintain, I'd highly recommend the Badger Patriot 105 gravity-feed, with the medium all-purpose head/needle to begin with, and the super-fine set for when they start to get a bit more adept.

I did a brief review of the Patriot here: http://mojobob.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/badger-105-patriot-review.html

• Like 1

After reading your post about your krome, I have to ask, did you ever get your sotar? You didn't order from DAS? I really loved them (got my compressor from them), sad to see them close down. I think my next brush will be a Sotar, maybe from Dixie airbrush (Got my patriot from them and have been very happy).

12 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

also, I know you are looking for detail, but in your other post you also mentioned budget, you may want to consider a patriot 105.

I ended up ordering the Patriot 105 with the adapter that has the air flow regulator on it after speaking to a product info person. The Krome was a little to much of a fine detail gun like the Sotar. For what I do the Patriot 105 seems like it will be the perfect gun. My understanding and level of detail is way different than other people’s because of the application I will b using it for. As I said I paint Crankbaits which do require detail but not the level of detail like painting miniatures or something like that. I don’t do illustrations so I guess I don’t really need a gun like the Krome or the Sotar. I want to thank everyone for their input on this subject you guys have been GREAT. Also the gun I got is the 3 N 1 it came with all 3 needle/nozzle combos. I ordered through Spraygunner. They had the best price I could find $120 for both pieces. 

Edited by Bassmaster146
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bassmaster146 said:

I ended up ordering the Patriot 105 with the adapter that has the air flow regulator on it after speaking to a product info person. The Krome was a little to much of a fine detail gun like the Sotar. For what I do the Patriot 105 seems like it will be the perfect gun. My understanding and level of detail is way different than other people’s because of the application I will b using it for. As I said I paint Crankbaits which do require detail but not the level of detail like painting miniatures or something like that. I don’t do illustrations so I guess I don’t really need a gun like the Krome or the Sotar. I want to thank everyone for their input on this subject you guys have been GREAT. Also the gun I got is the 3 N 1 it came with all 3 needle/nozzle combos. I ordered through Spraygunner. They had the best price I could find $120 for both pieces. 

Definitely let us know how you like it once you get to use it a bit. I think you made a good choice, I know a lot of people who enjoy theirs, and I think you will too.

6 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

After reading your post about your krome, I have to ask, did you ever get your sotar? You didn't order from DAS? I really loved them (got my compressor from them), sad to see them close down. I think my next brush will be a Sotar, maybe from Dixie airbrush (Got my patriot from them and have been very happy).

I ordered it — and paid for it — from Midwest Airbrush Supply months and months ago, and haven't seen a thing. Eventually, after a whole lot of unanswered emails, they finally put in a missing mail report to USPS, but that was a couple of months ago and I still don't have my Sotar. I can't say that I'm all that impressed with their customer service.

On 5/24/2018 at 10:19 PM, MojoBob said:

I ordered it — and paid for it — from Midwest Airbrush Supply months and months ago, and haven't seen a thing. Eventually, after a whole lot of unanswered emails, they finally put in a missing mail report to USPS, but that was a couple of months ago and I still don't have my Sotar. I can't say that I'm all that impressed with their customer service.

OMG! I just looked at midwest airbrush supply...umm and I got their following an old Chicago airbrush supply link...umm and the site feels just like CAS, and is in I believe the same location as CAS...soooo, did they restart their company??? Man, I did like them, but hmm...