Marc

Secret Weapon Miniatures bases?

Hey everyone

I've been looking at Secret Weapon Bases.

Has anyone used these? How did they work out? Do they paint up well? Is the resin easy to work with? drill through for pinning etc?

Thanks!

Edited by ladystorm
Removed commerce links
  • Like 2

I've used them. The work out.  They paint up well.  The resin is easy to work with, but take precautions so the resin bits aren't inhaled, swallowed or otherwise taken internally -- it's not particularly good for you.

A drawback is if you start using them, you start thinking all your minis need cool resin bases.

The only challenge is making sure your pinning holes line up well.  if you cheat and just trim back the tab on a mini to serve as some ersatz pins, try to get it completely under the feet so no part of the hole will show.  otherwise, it might be visible and detract from the mini.

• Like 5

I’m glad to hear this, as I’ve been going back and forth on ordering their pound bag of bases.

That's great to hear! I've checked out a number of YouTube reviews and these seem to get nothing but praise.

I think I'm going to get some!

ced1106 - those look great!!! Did you use some of the Secret Weapon Realistic Water on some of them?

I have two packs of the 25mm Blasted Wetlands bases.  Haven't used or painted any of them yet (too many other projects on the go I want to clear up partially first), but I do like the amount of detail that's in them. 

At some point I hope to put in a decent sized order for a lot more, since I'm fairly certain I'm definitely going to like them.  Their 1Lb bag (it's called something a tad different on the website) is also nice if you just want to see a good selection of their range, and it's priced reasonably too, especially for what you get in it O_o 

• Like 2

I agree with all of the above; very good product, very easy to use.:winkthumbs:

• Like 1

I've got several Secret Weapon Miniatures bases in various sizes and styles (rounded lip, bevel, etc.).  Nice detail, remarkably bubble-free, lightweight but solid resin, and easy to pin-drill. 

I'm also a fan of their durable plastic Tablescapes boards (which I've been trying to use to phase out some of my beat-up old home-made terrain tiles), though it's a shame that those got tied up in international legal limbo -- I was really hoping to see more.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:30 PM, mikem91 said:

A drawback is if you start using them, you start thinking all your minis need cool resin bases.

Yes, the 1lb bag is a good deal IF you want a good really random assortment.  I paint all genres, so it works for me, but if all you do is fantasy it might not work out as well. Not everything in the bag is a base. I've received pieces of dungeon wall and terrain bits.  Also, be prepared to do some clean up and repair.  They are not kidding about it being a bag of crap.  It's not garbage, but you WILL get bases with bubbles and holes, flash that needs trimmed and sanded, and some that aren't flat on the bottom.  If that's part of the hobby for you, this will be a great deal. 

• Like 5

On 6/1/2018 at 9:50 AM, Jordan Peacock said:

I've got several Secret Weapon Miniatures bases in various sizes and styles (rounded lip, bevel, etc.).  Nice detail, remarkably bubble-free, lightweight but solid resin, and easy to pin-drill. 

I'm also a fan of their durable plastic Tablescapes boards (which I've been trying to use to phase out some of my beat-up old home-made terrain tiles), though it's a shame that those got tied up in international legal limbo -- I was really hoping to see more.

I hadn't heard anything about this; what's going on?