Chris Palmer

RPG-ing 1980's Style

The BBC Archive posted this great clip to their facebook page of a TV segment about role-playing games from 1980.  It's a super time capsule of old games and figures...

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6

At roughly 2:50 when it pans across those games ... I think we have some of those in the trunks in the loft. “Swords and Sorcery” for absolute sure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

*GASP!* There's a female type person playing the game!

The Auld Grump

Yea, but aside from a few monosyllabic utterances, I don't think she was allowed to talk. I certainly didn't hear her actually contribute with the way that they cut the segment.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I recognize some of those miniatures... Hell, I own at least one of them.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Yea, but aside from a few monosyllabic utterances, I don't think she was allowed to talk. I certainly didn't hear her actually contribute with the way that they cut the segment.

Yeah, I noticed. :rock:

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

Yeah, I noticed. :rock:

What I found equally odd was that they used the part where the one guy was basically saying D&D was the only thing keeping him from beating someone to death in the street, because it let him release his rage and bloodlust in a game.

I think the lady player would have had something to say that was, at the very least, as insightful as that and probably wouldn't have helped fuel the "role playing games make you a murderer" narrative that came about in the 80's.

• Like 2

I think I may have a couple of those minis.  I have the cardboard floor plans too. :lol:

• Like 2

I had that screen ... seen many an adventure ... and the blue box starter that got you all the way to 3rd level ...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Their table is so small...

I know, right? I wonder if it's to make filming easier.

Back in the '80s I was in college playing at a massive twelve-foot-long solid oak neo-gothic monstrosity of a table nestled in an equally neo-gothic limestone, oak, slate and tiled floor and leaded glass student activity center. It had no insulation and was cold as heck in the winter, but man, it looked great.

(College kid took a look at the place and said "My god, it's Hogwarts.")

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Christ Church College in Oxford?

(I have a nephew who's getting his Pol-Sci degree there, right now.)

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-tales-of-dungeons-and-doggies/description

So you have seen the minis but what about the rules doc? Well, here is just one example of the art quality thanks to the incredible talents of April Prime! Amazingly, this is still work in progress, but she is working on art for every dog and a few bonus pieces as well....hmmm..maybe art prints should be available...

Here's a small piece of Dungeons and Doggies fiction to enjoy! Every mini will have an associated 'icon character' pre generated in the rules pack,and for the Cleric role we have Cerysse, gentle but determined protector of her friends. Many thanks to Kate, our writer, for providing this and many other story pieces for the project! We will follow up with a rules preview for the Companion Domain soon!
    • By Lidless Eye
      Yet another design by Duncan Shadow, the God That Never Was, the Atropal!

Probably my favorite critter that was added during the 3.X era (not counting Pathfinder since they've added everything from obscure local mythics to cryptids to memes over the years)

• By Shpam
      Hello everyone!
      Last week, I posted pictures of one of the two D&D adventuring parties I am DMing (http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81365-my-dnd-adventure-group/). These were minis I painted about a year ago. As there is a second party, I wanted to post some pictures of it as well.

I painted the second batch of minis quite recently, I hope you like them. Here they are :

"60071: Eccardian Drovenge" is Alrune, a Tiefling druid who was raised by Ents. Taking a step back from it, I think tha the blue wasn't the best choice, I should probably have gone for brown on those blue parts. I love the mini but with all those little details it was quite a challenge to paint :

"03828: Crusader Champion (Sword and Shield)" is Guy Saint-Hubert, a human butter maker who decided to become a paladin of the goddess of death, justice and night to avenge his family :

"03476: Kasham, Reptus Wizard" is Kigozaloph Jeanpatrine, a Silver Dragonborn necromancer. I was worried about the metallic paint to make his skin, but i'm happy with the result :

"14567: BSG Hok Sergeant" is Miroslav Bulldosex (sigh), a Halfling fishmonger who decided to quit the civilisation and chose a barbarian life. All the pink marks on his skin are supposed to be scars but I didn't manage to make it obvious :

"14553: Arthrand Nightblade, Wood Elf Sergeant" is Polodriell, an Elf ex-soldier. He lived in a jungle, that's why his arrows are made with parrot feathers. I couldn't manage to make his eyes look good because of the cloak  :

• By Boaz
      Before I moved I was working on a RPG campaign concept that I have not been able to get off the ground since I moved so thought I'd kick the idea around here in the off chance it might start a fire with someone else ...

So the game starts in an alternate reality with the gaming group stating them selves out as starting players, not 100% accurate but an alternate reality version of himself that fits into a starting player profile for whatever game system you like to use ...

Once stated out the players will get together for game night,  in the alternate reality version of where your group gets to get her to play ... you get the idea, your playing a alternate reality version of you, but this alternate reality gets interrupted by an mini zombie apocalypse, a freak storm and weird lightning bolts that turn people into zombies ...

Being game nerds your group react accordingly and start putting down the zombies and figuring out what's going on ... a great opportunity to have some fun with the local peeps ... the players lern that the trouble is ruminating from a mysterious tower that appeared out of nowhere at a local golf course / sports field / etc large open spot ... the players gear up and do what players do, poke their nose in to fine a much queen rounding up zombie slaves to take back home with her ... 

Only once the players take the evil much queen out do they discover her life sustained the tower in this plain, at the moment she died the tower and all inside return to her plane of origin ... the fantasy world of ... 

The players and whatever firepower they have ammased now find themselves in a new world full of new challenges ... filled with your favorite minis of course ... they will have to find and ally with some locals to eat/learn to survive in their strange new world ...

As the year rolls round one customer seems to stand out more and more, the clan / tribe / town your players allied with are obsessed with collecting the skulls of their enimie race works/ lizard folk / whatever you have handy ... they must collect s quota for their gods before they return and time is running out ... the players must prove their worth and bag some skulls soon.

On the appointed time they come ... your allies see their gods descending in a chariot of fire ... your group see a drop ship with a party of powered armored warriors here to collect a pile of skulls and thank the locals for keeping the hostile race numbers down with a few thank you trinkets.

The warriors from space are sure to see you are different and take you with them to the stars ... and so begins the 3rd phasebofbthe game, space, the next frontier...

Start with zombie apocalypse,  take you time ...
       Shift to fantasy (magic = psychics) take more time ...
       Shift to science fiction with alien vertions of the fantasy world ... all agreed to a wager over the planet,  most skulls wins or something like that but limited to primitive tech only ... on the planet ... some argue the players are cgeaterd but thay have seen things wail on the planet that exsposes others as cheats ... thing go from bad to worse ... in just the way a GM can get some mileage out of ... 
    • By Jeepnewbie
      I'm playing a Firbolg Druid in a campaign and couldn't find any mini to represent him.  So I came across this Longtooth Barbarian and decided to convert one. I removed the sword on the back for a backpack, and I gave him a Scimitar. 

• Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)