She's beautiful!

I especially like the way her wings turned out.

31 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

She really does look like an Elmore painting...

The concept art for her is on the Dark Sword webpage for her. Just search "Dark Sword 2008 Elmore Demoness" and it is at the bottom. Just black and white, though. The sculptor did a really good job translating her to 3D. 

Glad to hear I kept her Elmoriness intact! 

Those wings...:wub: The skin tones are very nicely done and her eyes are great. There are a couple spots which appear a tad abrupt (maybe a photo/lighting artifact?) though overall smooth and subtle! Wonderful painting!

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely getting old, my first thought was "wow, those wings look awesome".   The whole model is beautifully done.

Good paintin'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks folks! I think this was the color combo on the wings: S75 Hykey Yellow, Reaper Saffron Sunset, Deep Red, Brick Red, and Nightshade Purple. I mixed the paints between stages (yellow + saffron, saffron + red, red + brick). I did rough smooth blending initially (no nightshade), and then highlighted and shadowed the ridges and creases with a stage brighter and a stage lower than whatever the base color in that region was, ending on the Nightshade Purple.  

I actually had the true base coat as S75 Hastur Purple, which was entirely too magenta for my liking so I covered it and toned it down with the other hues. Warning - the Saffron + Deep Red looks really weird as a color on the palette, but looks good in practice. 

2 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Absolutely stunning! Totally stealing those wing colors.

Steal away! The eyes are a combo of the Bette Davis eye model guide and Marike Reimer's guide (I put a white highlight spot on there, then put a thin red dot into that one to give it the glow). 

Overall, even with the wings colors, the wings really were a "add paint until I like it" sort of deal. Once I started the highlights and creases the smooth blending went out the window. If you zoom in, it is pretty easy to see brush strokes - I just was careful to place them well! 

15 hours ago, Mierot said:

Those wings...:wub: The skin tones are very nicely done and her eyes are great. There are a couple spots which appear a tad abrupt (maybe a photo/lighting artifact?) though overall smooth and subtle! Wonderful painting!

Some areas are more abrupt than others, due to the angles of the model, the lighting, and my own abilities. I took the photos using evening sun through my eastern window. It was a pain to get a photo where my phone wasn't casting a shadow upon her! 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now