She's beautiful!

I especially like the way her wings turned out.

Thanks ^_^ She really was a fun one to paint!

31 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

She really does look like an Elmore painting...

The concept art for her is on the Dark Sword webpage for her. Just search "Dark Sword 2008 Elmore Demoness" and it is at the bottom. Just black and white, though. The sculptor did a really good job translating her to 3D. 

Glad to hear I kept her Elmoriness intact! 

Those wings...:wub: The skin tones are very nicely done and her eyes are great. There are a couple spots which appear a tad abrupt (maybe a photo/lighting artifact?) though overall smooth and subtle! Wonderful painting!

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely getting old, my first thought was "wow, those wings look awesome".   The whole model is beautifully done.

Good paintin'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks folks! I think this was the color combo on the wings: S75 Hykey Yellow, Reaper Saffron Sunset, Deep Red, Brick Red, and Nightshade Purple. I mixed the paints between stages (yellow + saffron, saffron + red, red + brick). I did rough smooth blending initially (no nightshade), and then highlighted and shadowed the ridges and creases with a stage brighter and a stage lower than whatever the base color in that region was, ending on the Nightshade Purple.  

I actually had the true base coat as S75 Hastur Purple, which was entirely too magenta for my liking so I covered it and toned it down with the other hues. Warning - the Saffron + Deep Red looks really weird as a color on the palette, but looks good in practice. 

2 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Absolutely stunning! Totally stealing those wing colors.

Steal away! The eyes are a combo of the Bette Davis eye model guide and Marike Reimer's guide (I put a white highlight spot on there, then put a thin red dot into that one to give it the glow). 

Overall, even with the wings colors, the wings really were a "add paint until I like it" sort of deal. Once I started the highlights and creases the smooth blending went out the window. If you zoom in, it is pretty easy to see brush strokes - I just was careful to place them well! 

15 hours ago, Mierot said:

Those wings...:wub: The skin tones are very nicely done and her eyes are great. There are a couple spots which appear a tad abrupt (maybe a photo/lighting artifact?) though overall smooth and subtle! Wonderful painting!

Some areas are more abrupt than others, due to the angles of the model, the lighting, and my own abilities. I took the photos using evening sun through my eastern window. It was a pain to get a photo where my phone wasn't casting a shadow upon her! 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, here's another Cat Critter I completed this week, DSM8006 Scottish Wildcat Warrior.
      This two-part 28mm pewter model was sculpted by Dave Summers for Dark Sword Miniatures.
      I glued the hand holding the sword before painted it. I hope you will like it as much as it was a joy to paint.

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, here is DSM7999, King Richard the Lion. This majestic 28mm pewter model was sculpted by David Summers for Dark Sword Miniatures, Critter Kingdoms - Anthropomorphic Animals. This miniature is a three-part model. I glued the tail before applying the primer but painted the right arm separately before assembling.

• By Cyradis
      I did the eyes for this one months ago. I'm going to try NMM steel on her armor and weapons (I've mostly done weapons previously). Skin is the olive triad, but i tried the yellow-red-blue top to bottom as tints, in addition to my red brick shadows and golden highlights. Hair is base coated only. Skirt has a dark shadow base, and preliminary deepest shadow layers. It will be a deep red in the end. I'll keep taking it brighter until I am happy with it. I want it to be a bit darker than some of the trim on the armor. Perhaps it will get freehanded. Not sure yet. 

Also... oh my gosh my paint stays wet for SO LONG. What?! How do I? I can blend the things!?

• By 72moonglum
      Hi all,
      so I painted this one for a friend who is going to be retiring next week, sculpted by the incredible Dave Summers.  As always, so hard to decide upon colors, especially when you don't have a theme in mind, just to paint for a friend.  The incredible painting done on the Dark Sword page (painted by Marike Reimer) I didn't want to copy, even though I kind of accidentally gave this lady a similar fur color.  I tried to also stay away from the studio model version's brass/gold metal, and did metal, which for me is so hard to make look decent, so hopefully at least partially succeeded. 

There's also a few odd mold lines that I ended up painting into something. The button on her hat I think was some kind of odd casting, and that long pin as well, but I didn't scrape them exactly as well as I should have so had to make them into something. and I hope the red came out okay, I'm not sure if it went exactly as deep as I wanted it to go, or quite frankly as highlighted. Oh well, she's sealed and finished too late to worry about that now.  Upon hindsight I should have made her goggle lenses another color, maybe green, instead of blue as they don't seem to differentiate themselves as much as they should from the metal. Oh well, maybe on the next guinea pig....

and as a side note, her rifle kind of reminds me of a super soaker!

So anyhoos, enjoy!
    • By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, it is with great pleasure that I present you today my latest project. I just completed the display base for the eleven Fox Critters I painted at the beginning of the year. I used Woodland Scenics ready-made fall colors trees and Bachmann Scene Scapes spruce trees as well as various undergrowth foliage, turf, natural stones, sand and realistic water effect. The base itself is made of wood, masonite hardboard and putty. I made the benches and the tente frame with real branches. For more details see the Fox Critter Rogue Camp Diorama WIP.

The camp fire, the two chest and all the Fox models are magnetised to the base and can easily be removed. Every Fox are from Dark Sword Miniatures and were sculpted by Dave Summers.
      Your comments are very welcome.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)