Marc

Free Monthly Mini - No Bones version?

I think it's awesome that Reaper gives a new free mini each month when you buy $40 or more worth of stuff.

The only think that bums me out is that they always seem to be a metal minis. I don't do metal (and I'm just not interested in trying them out)  I only do Bones, so the free metal mini is kind of wasted on me.

With the popularity of the Bones line and the massive Bones Kickstarters, I imagine there are many other "Bones only" folks who also can't use the free mini figure  (I realize we can give it away, or sell it or just throw it out but ...)

My question is - is there a reason Reaper doesn't offer a Bones and metal option each month? Let the person ordering pick either the metal or Bones mini each month. 

It's just such a shame when I get that free metal mini with my order and I throw it away :(  

Thanks!

Edited by Marc

The metal sculpts they are offering are brand new models.  No Bones version exists yet and isn't likely to for several years given the lengthy development time. 

As for "can't use the free mini", that's your choice, of course.  You can always make smaller purchases, and Reaper won't bother you with free stuff. :)

• Like 4

Hey, I like free stuff as much as the next cat! :)

Understood about the metal mini being a brand new sculpt. That doesn't mean if they offered a free Bones mini, it would also have to be new, does it ?

Couldn't Reaper just pick a cool recent Bones mini and say this is the free Bones mini option for the month if you pick it instead of the metal?

I think the idea is to give us something exciting, and not something that a lot of people already own. 

(The Bones minis were financed through KickStarter, so a lot of customers already have them. not exactly an incentive to buy more)

And substituting a Bones mini... prepare for grumbling because a metal mini typically costs 3x of a Bones. 

'I want 3 Bones to get the same value'... 

Also, metal has better detail than Bones(for now. Who knows about the new minis in the Bones4 KS)

• Like 2

The metal is the more costly material and has better detail. I'll happily take metal freebies! The Christmas stockings had some freebie Bones stuff though. Really, I find this a silly thing to complain about. Worst case scenario, you give a nice new figure to a friend or sell it on the interwebs. 

• Like 2

You can also leave a note on the comments box when you place your order..."I love your freebies, but I don't paint metal! Please don't send me a new Dungeon Dweller, since it won't see any use!"

Better still, "I won't paint the free metal mini, please toss it in the next box you pack, with my good wishes!"

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I can see what you mean about some folks grumbling that a free metal mini is worth more than a free Bones mini (although it's kind of lame to grumble about a free gift :)

Interestingly enough, I actually DID add a note on my last order saying I didn't do metal, could I get a free Bones mini instead, and if not, they didn't need to send the metal mini to me as it would go to waste. Guess what? I got the metal mini anyway :)

@ Cyradis: not sure why you think I was complaining. I clearly wasn't. I was asking a question and then following it up with a suggestion, nothing more. Saying " I find this a silly thing to complain about" seemed kind of unfairly harsh ... 

• Like 1

Or, instead of throwing them away,  >twitch<  hang onto them, sign up for the next Box of Goodwill, and swap them for Bones that way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting - what's a Box of Goodwill???

For that matter, someone mentioned a Christmas stocking earlier, what's that?

Seems like I'm missing out! :)

• Like 3

One solution, as mentioned is to hold onto the free monthly minis and then when you get a few of them trade them in to one of the online stores like Noble Knight Games for credit something you do want.

The Box of Goodwill is a thing we do here on the forums - a couple times a year, a bunch of us get together and divide up into groups of 6-8 people. (The groups are assigned by Chaoswolf, who's in charge of the whole thing.)

The first person in the group takes a Medium Flat Rate postal box and fills it with miniatures and miniature-related stuff they have extras of, those seven hundred dwarves you bought fifteen years ago and never painted, Kickstarter rewards they didn't want, things they think other people might want, etc., and send it to the next person in the group, who takes some stuff out, replaces it with other stuff, and sends it on to the next person in the group, rinse and repeat. At the end of the round, the last person mails it back to the first guy, who can then get a chance to take some of the new stuff for himself, and holds onto the box until the next round. We usually have enough people to have four or five boxes going each round, and sometimes we switch some of the boxes to keep the rotations fresh and interesting.

The Christmas stockings are something Reaper does sometimes during the holidays - much like the free monthly minis, you buy X amount of stuff, and Reaper sends you a "Christmas stocking" with some Bones minis and candy in it. Or sometimes a piece of "coal", lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Christmas stocking is a promotion that Reaper does every Christmas; you order a certain dollar value of stuff and you get a stocking with some free stuff in it.

The Box of Goodwill is something that I put together a few years ago, there's one running right now so you can go get the full rundown on on it in the Mini Exchanges and Paint Contests sub forum, but the basic idea is that a box will arrive on your doorstep, you paw through it and grab some cool figures out of it, put in some figures that you don't want/aren't ever going to paint, and then ship it off to the next person.

I don't want to derail this thread too badly, so if you've got more question about the Box of Goodwill, feel free to PM me.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

The Box of Goodwill is something that I put together a few years ago, there's one running right now so you can go get the full rundown on on it in the Mini Exchanges and Paint Contests sub forum, but the basic idea is that a box will arrive on your doorstep, you paw through it and grab some cool figures out of it, put in some figures that you don't want/aren't ever going to paint, and then ship it off to the next person.

Just wanted to add, from the perspective of your likes, most of the boxes I’ve recieved had at least a baggie full of Bones to paw through. Some have had a whole gallon ziploc full.   Folks always have extras from the various Bones Kickstarters that they put in as exchange fodder.

• Like 4

I prefer Bones as well as I don't paint really paint metal either but that's because 1.) pinning seems very complicated to me, and 2.) all that glorious detail seems wasted on my skill level, but I'm really thinking of taking a shot at the halfling thief, his leetle feet are sooooo cute!

In the meantime, I've just been saving up my metal minis for trading days at my FLGS since ended up with like 8 Baran Blacktrees (That was the month I decided to just go all in on trying to paint minis so I bought a lot of paint, and some minis, and like all the things) and various other metal minis. 

• Like 5

Fortunately Reaper has a ton of models without multiple pieces, as opposed to many other brands. It happens sometimes but with far lower frequency. I do agree that pinning is a pain; I'm getting better about it and improving there though. Seems worth the effort. 

• Like 4

Throw it away?

ever here of eBay or giving a friend a gift ?

All free collector models should be metal.

Bones  is fine for paint and play. But as far a collecting, they offer little collectible value and are not the choice of serious collectors or painters. 

Metal rules! ;)

\m/ (><) \m/

Edited by storm72
  • Like 1