Marc

Free Monthly Mini - No Bones version?

^^with the exception of some large scale figures, such as Ma'al, and the upcoming Dance of Death. The cost of those is prohibitive in other mediums. 

• Like 4

Also just looking at the same figure in both Bones & Metal, the value of the metal is usually more then double or more then the cost of Bones. I'm a metal head, but lately if I need a figure for say my ReaperCon games I'll see if it's in Bones vs metal. It's just cheaper. I think having metal as a gift is a nice way to give back to the hobbyist.

As far as pinning goes, for years I hated it. I got a very nice pin vise, one that fits my hand & now pinning is easy & more or less just part of the process for bits that need it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

^^with the exception of some large scale figures, such as Ma'al, and the upcoming Dance of Death. The cost of those is prohibitive in other mediums. 

Not to mention the safety hazard of dropping one if it was in metal::o:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, Cyradis said:

The metal is the more costly material and has better detail. [...]

This is true, but the injection molds for the plastic figures are tooled from hardened steel, whereas the metal figures have typically been cast in vulcanized rubber molds. The setup for the injection molds is much more costly, due not only to the material, but the time and labor involved in the tooling.

When quick-turnaround on small batches is a factor (such as bonus freebies of new releases), casting figures in metal becomes a much more practical expense.

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ultrasquid said:

This is true, but the injection molds for the plastic figures are tooled from hardened steel, whereas the metal figures have typically been cast in vulcanized rubber molds. The setup for the injection molds is much more costly, due not only to the material, but the time and labor involved in the tooling.

When quick-turnaround on small batches is a factor (such as bonus freebies of new releases), casting figures in metal becomes a much more practical expense.

This is quite correct, but with the steel molds, you can kick out massive amounts of models till the end of time literally. I mean, they are still re-popping models from aurora, revell, etc. Those things are like the energizer bunny.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

This is quite correct, but with the steel molds, you can kick out massive amounts of models till the end of time literally. I mean, they are still re-popping models from aurora, revell, etc. Those things are like the energizer bunny.

And part of why the gift minis can be done in general is because they have a fast production mechanism. Bones molds take a long time (and more money - hence kickstarting Bones) to be made, then they last a long time. Reaper can whoosh out a new metal figure for a fast release very easily making it a practical material for limited runs or early releases. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, haldir said:

As far as pinning goes, for years I hated it. I got a very nice pin vise, one that fits my hand & now pinning is easy & more or less just part of the process for bits that need it

What pin vise are you using? 

Just hit your local hardware store and have them help you find a pin vise that can hold small drillbits. Maybe I'm lucky with a really awesome hardware store? I don't think a specific type is needed, as long as it is small (some are too large for the bits we want). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Just hit your local hardware store and have them help you find a pin vise that can hold small drillbits. Maybe I'm lucky with a really awesome hardware store? I don't think a specific type is needed, as long as it is small (some are too large for the bits we want). 

That is a very good idea, which I would totally do!...... if I wasn't, like introverted to the extreme in real life. Currently, I've just been ordering one online, trying it (and realizing it was too big, or uncomfortable/whatever), returning it and trying again. 

If there is a model railroad shop nearby they should have good pin vices in the right size. Also some of the railroad accessories can be used with minis.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheMandolin said:

That is a very good idea, which I would totally do!...... if I wasn't, like introverted to the extreme in real life. Currently, I've just been ordering one online, trying it (and realizing it was too big, or uncomfortable/whatever), returning it and trying again. 

Size parameters should be listed when online shopping. If you know what size drillbit you'll be using (goes with the width of your wire/pin), make sure that the pin vise you get can be used for that size. Shouldn't cost more than $10 for a pin vise, shipping included. I think some hobby stores have specific pin vises for small stuff, so perhaps those sources would be easier. Could email small shops about it too ^_^

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheMandolin said:

What pin vise are you using? 

Micromark and WidgetSupply are two good sources to check.  Pretty sure either one can answer questions about what size bits they'll accept if they don't tell you that in the description.  You'll probably need to translate the drill bit sizes to inches or mm.  For larger hands, one with the ball on the end may be helpful.

I found one at Hobby Lobby (Excel brand IIRC) that came with drill bits and works fine, but I think you can find better ones online or at good hobby shops or hardware stores.  Some people use a Dremel or cordless screwdriver (requires an adapter), but I've never tried them for that purpose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2018 at 8:06 PM, Marc said:

I can see what you mean about some folks grumbling that a free metal mini is worth more than a free Bones mini (although it's kind of lame to grumble about a free gift :)

@Marc, I must regretfully welcome you to the Internet. 'Tis a dark, and foreboding place. :;,;:

(and, yes, you're right, but it happens anyway)

A friendly reminder that if you use power tools wear safety glasses.  It is possible to snap bits with a dremel, and better safe than sorry.

23 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Actually bulk lead is trading around $1/lb (about 9 times cheaper than tin), so a 10lb metal Mal would only require $10 worth of lead as opposed to over $90 worth of tin.  It would be cheap and double as exercise equipment.  A win-win!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Auberon said:

A friendly reminder that if you use power tools wear safety glasses.  It is possible to snap bits with a dremel, and better safe than sorry.

Actually bulk lead is trading around $1/lb (about 9 times cheaper than tin), so a 10lb metal Mal would only require $10 worth of lead as opposed to over $90 worth of tin.  It would be cheap and double as exercise equipment.  A win-win!

Plus you can really yell at people when they try to lick your dragon! You're going to poison yourself... really, don't lick the dragon!! 

• Haha 3