Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

4 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

June 13: Where do you find mini painting or general art inspiration?

A place, a show, a song?

Very frequently from other peoples work, I'm half-ashamed to say. Once I've seen a really good rendition of a figure I find it very hard to un-see it again.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

It can be many things.

The most common sources for me getting ideas and resulting in me wanting to recreate a scene/character/ army

• Reading a fantasy/scifi/ war story
  • Watching a movie
  • Seeing other people's work
  • Military History / Historical figures
  • Playing a video/PC Game
  • Seeing cool fantasy artwork
  • Nature when it comes to animals both alive or extinct
  • My own twisted mind
Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

On 6/10/2018 at 7:48 PM, Morihalda said:

June 11: What do you consider to be hidden gems in Reaper's catalog?

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

The gor-gor.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/rhino/sku-down/02891

On 6/11/2018 at 10:41 PM, Morihalda said:

June 12: Do you have a spirit animal or guardian? If you made one for fun, what would it look like?

There are all sorts of fun stories and types from different cultures! 

According to that website my spirit animal is a bee. I don't like being busy though. I feel more like a sloth. Maybe a hibernating bear. 

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Other people's art, including make up artists and cosplayers. I get a lot of ideas looking at random stuff on the interwebs.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

My chief inspiration for mini painting is wargaming. I find it very hard to get into painting something unless I have a gaming purpose in mind.

Otherwise, I'm inspired to paint certain genres by TV shows, movies, comics and video games.

• Like 7

Hidden Gem: 

Bakarathi Hunter

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hunter/sku-down/02965#detail/02965_G

Insperation:

mostly from other peoples painted minis  - golden demon, CMON,  Reapercon award galleries ....

also from nature photography.  I am forever googling lizard patterns, pictures of burning coals, or turtles 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Mostly from the sculptor/the figure itself. An interesting figure will get me interested in painting.

Once I've picked a figure, then I might use photos, or other miniatures, or whatever for references, but I don't consider that to be the same thing.

In a related note: Life is too short to paint figures you don't love. Don't wait "Until I'm good enough to do it justice". They'll make more figures; paint the good stuff now.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

A place, a show, a song?

These days, I very often start off with a color or two. After that, it's an unknowable blend of the influences that brought me to this point.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

In a related note: Life is too short to paint figures you don't love. Don't wait "Until I'm good enough to do it justice". They'll make more figures; paint the good stuff now.

Definitely great advice - it's why I'm doing the jump in feet first with Wyrmgear thing...  Well, that and I liked Wyrmgear, but still.  Only reason my Minotaur Demon Lord hasn't seen paint yet is I only have so much room on the table (funny how two dragons, half a dozen gnolls, a dozen Skaven, a few kitsunes, and your paints can quickly take over a table...)

• Like 7

A place, a show, a song?

Sooo, something I saw on TV; saw in a movie; read about; saw in a museum. And of course, just hanging around here is a major source of inspiration.

When I watch MET Opera or theater on the big screen, I often find myself saying :"Oh, nice costume, I want to paint that design." Then promptly forget about it an hour later.

All in all no real place, but usually ends with me finding picture references on the Internet.

• Like 6

On 6/7/2018 at 2:17 AM, Morihalda said:

June 7: Will you cross anything off your bucket list this year?

I don't know that I really have a bucket list, but it has been a long goal to be under 250 lb.  I'm now down 28 lb and will likely reach this goal before ReaperCon at the current rate of loss. ::D:

On 6/7/2018 at 11:56 PM, Morihalda said:

June 8: Are you in any clubs or organizations? Have you started any?

CIDM (Center for Information Development Management)

Curriculum Avisory Board Member for the Technical Communication Program and MN State University, Mankato

Founder of the SRA

I also started a small FB group: Mini Sculptors Critique and Help Group

On 6/8/2018 at 11:31 PM, Morihalda said:

June 9 and 10: What's your favorite way to treat yourself?

Are you thinking about doing that this weekend or soon?

Fishing.  No. :down:

Here, DeviantArt, Arkive, Internet searches, the World

• Like 9

A place, a show, a song?

I draw inspiration from all sorts of unlikely sources...a walk through a hardware store can be a revelation.

The songs i hear playing through my head from my hearing days fine tune ideas...sort of.

Of late, I have been haunting Pinterest. They are a wonderful source of inspiration. 

• Like 7

I get a lot of my inspiration from nature. Also a lot from fantasy artwork. Books. Youse guys. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Many many places...

1) The Mind of Matt Mercer (descriptions can be everything)

2) Instagram... so many great artists sharing so many things... ENABLERS... ALL of them

3) Books.  When I find something new in a book, especially a monster, I will frequently try to find a miniature...

4) Backstory. When a PC falls and I have to create a new backstory... I often spend as much time trying to find a mini as I do trying to write and keep concise the pages of material I am going to submit to the GM.

5) Dreams.  I still remember the first miniature dream I had (I have since had several).  I sketched it out and have most of the pieces, but I am going to have to seriously commit to even starting that piece, because I know I cannot technically do all that would be required to pull it off... and I haven't been working on those skills.  But still... a powerful dream...

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

ART BOOOOOOKS

Seriously. Guys like Wayne Reynolds and Paul Bonner are pretty obvious choices for mini inspiration (since a lot of minis are based on their work!), and I've leaned on Frazetta and Vallejo a bit (that's why I like painting barbarians). But there are seemingly infinite choices for inspiration when you get to general art.

My current favorite artists are Jeremy Mann and Nadezda, and I've just come across a talented artist named Mia Bergeron who is super inspiring (google image search all of these people!). They're all great figurative artists incorporating a very impressionistic feel into their work. I hope to get there some day!

• Like 9

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      Minivember is here once again! I know that today is the 5th so I'm going to have to play a little catch up as I was on vacation until yesterday evening. Now I need to get started painting so this will probably be a shorter intro post than previous years. You may ask why the title says "The Last." Well because this is the last year that I am going to be doing Minivember. Next year I'll have a new fun thing but it will be in October instead of November because of how busy this time of year is for me. And I know that the holidays are part of the challenge but it's getting to be too much of a challenge.

This year I'm going to be painting minis from Shadows of Brimstone that I have not yet finished. My goal (like every year) is to paint at least thirty (30) unique minis, one (1) for each day. While I've reached this goal in the past I'm going to push myself a little further this year and try to get all of one type of the mini painted. Some of them have up to six (6) of the same mini. I chose to paint this because I want to play the game again and this is a great time to get it done. While this is not all of the SoB minis that I have to do it is a good chunk of them. 

Anyway, here's this year's calendar and I'll be posting photos as soon as I can.

• By Adrift
      I thought this year would be my last ReaperCon. Somewhere along the line, I forgot the joy of speed painting and just painting miniatures for tabletop quality that I can use for gaming, etc. Somewhere along the line miniature painting became something that had to 'wow' or be appropriate for competition.

I rediscovered my love of miniature painting at the Speed Painting, Sophie Says, and Paint by Die Roll tables at ReaperCon 2018; having 45-60 minutes to paint a miniature was such an exhilarating challenge and I present to you my fun!!!

Barnabus the pirate was a Paint by Die Roll.
      Esme was a Speed Paint.
      Judas was a Sophie Says. 
      Michelle was a Speed Paint.
      Ogre was a Paint by Die Roll.
      Sekhmet was a Paint by Die Roll.
      Trista was a Sophie Says.

• By redambrosia
      Welcome to Getting to Know you, September 2018 Edition.

Here are the roolz, copied directly from @Crowley's post from last month

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and take my place... 
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
      3. Questions are going to be posted between 6AM and 8AM EST
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me. 
      5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why are always fun).
      7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day challenges, often starting on Fridays.

The most important thing is to have fun! In fact, its now mandatory
    • By Crowley
      You thought you were rid of me... you thought "Thanks Gygax's Leather Dice Bag, July is over and we're through with Crowley's stupid questions!"

YOU WERE ONLY HALF RIGHT!

July IS over, but I HAVE MORE STUPID QUESTIONS!!

Now, as a reminder, the obligatory rulze posting:

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and take my place... 
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
      3. Questions are going to be posted between 6AM and 8AM EST
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me. 
      5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why are always fun).
      7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day challenges, often starting on Fridays.

• By Pegazus
      Hey all! Time for the 2018 ReaperCon Forumite Bingo! So, those of you who were on the cards last year, or got a card last year know how the game works, so you can skip the next paragraph.

What is Forumite Bingo? It's a convention game I came up that is generally well received so I will do it again this year. The game is just like what a bingo game would be, but rather than calling out numbers to fill your card, you must go around and introduce yourself to members of the forum who are on your card. Say hi to them, and you can cross their box off. Once you've made "bingo", return to me for your Bingo ribbon. Blackout isn't required, but several people did it for the grins. And there's nothing to 'prove' you met those who you have said you have, just the honor system. You only punish yourself by cheating yourself out of meeting wonderful people.

Last year there were more volunteers than spaces, so not every one was on every card, and hopefully there will be enough volunteers again this year. It made for a good variety. So, this thread is not for signing up to receive a card to play. This is a signup for people who are willing to be on a card. The cards will be freely handed out at the convention. Just come find me, and potentially my wife who may have my materials. Be aware, volunteering to be on the card will mean that complete strangers will be coming up to meet you, and they may not be actually signed up and be on this forum. That happened more often than I thought it would last year. If that makes you uncomfortable, then reconsider volunteering.

So, the ground rules:

I exclude the Reaper peeps since they are all pretty accessible. The game's purpose is to meet the less visible and vocal forum members. I will continue that. Sorry peeps, we love ya, but I feel that's best. The free square in the middle will be me, since everybody has to meet me to get the card it seems the fairest way. You must be going to ReaperCon to be on the card please! And if possible, the full Thursday to Saturday at least. It's unfair to those whose card you are on if you don't show, or are a Saturday only person. I will not exclude you if you are a Saturday only (or similar) limited attendee. However, people who have you on their cards will get to cross you off without meeting you if you aren't there when they need you for bingo. By replying with the information below, you are giving your permission to use the picture provided and your name provided, and to be inundated with people introducing themselves to you. Once I've printed the cards (much closer to the con than I want), they are set in stone. I can't remove people from the cards, and they're a bit pricey to just toss. Plans change, life happens, and if you become a no-show, you simply become a gimme square and are crossed off automatically by those who need your square. It already happened once and well, it will probably happen again. We'll just roll along in those cases. Signups will be open from now until August 15th. That gives me a mere two weeks to randomize the cards and have them printed on card stock. I'll get a mod to lock this thread on that date, and once the thread is locked, no more volunteers will be accepted. One does not need to be very active on these forums to be on the card, but it helps people to recognize you. But I will not turn away anybody that isn't very active if they really want to be on the card. If there's a question about any of these numbered questions, please quote the text since the numbering is automatic and I can't control it if there's an insertion. I will update these rules as questions and issues come up.  
      All ready to sign up? Good! Here's what you need to do. Reply to this thread with:
      The name you want to use. I prefer your forum handle, so people might have some idea of who you are. They can always write your real name across the square as a way of crossing you off, but it's up to you what name to have on the card. What picture you wish to use for your square. Again, I prefer your forum picture, but if you are someone who changes it often, I might grab one that isn't current so having you explicitly give me one helps. What days you will be at ReaperCon. I'll put the days you won't be there on the square, and this will help us know if your are there that day or not. I'm only using Thursday thru Sunday, with Wednesday as a simple bonus day.  
      This is optional, but if you could also send a recent picture of your actual self via PM to me, I'd appreciate it. Something like a full on face shot, without costume. I plan to have a "cheat sheet" of sorts to help myself remember who is who. This way I can help direct people to those members they're still needing to collect. My brain isn't wired to put names to faces easily, and being tired from the Con won't help that. So, having something I can use to point the way will help. Again, this is optional.

I think that's it for now. See you all in a month!
  • Who's Online   38 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)