Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 13: Where do you find mini painting or general art inspiration?

A place, a show, a song?

Other people's art, photography, and costumes for colors and effects.

Sometimes the miniatures themselves suggest certain things, which then need more research.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Frequently just from my games. The games dictate what I want to paint/acquire. Sometimes movies or books will give me some inspiration and I will try to reflect that in the paint job, but frankly, I'm still at the stage of trying to get just a halfway decent paintjob in place with or without any kind of reference. Freehand work, which could really help sell an inspiration, is pretty much right out at the moment giving my terrible drawing ability.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Depends on how "original" I'm trying to be.  If I'm looking for something quick and easy, the Reaper Inspiration gallery is quite handy.

If I'm trying not to copy, Deviant Art, and the annual Spectrum art book are great resources.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Forgot to mention I also have to play music while I work. At school my instructor favors either some avant garde synth guitar stuff or old school jazz (louis armstrong, that kinda thing), but I prefer classical. I lean heavily on Amazon Music's Classical Focus station but also listen to chorale stuff like The Sixteen, solo cello like Yo Yo Ma's Bach Suite, or piano stuff like Satie. I normally like fairly fiery classical music, but when doing art I like it more relaxing so I don't tense up.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Pretty much what everything everyone else has already said.

Also, why do you think I spend so much time here?

I'm stealing all your ideas!::D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

When I was drawing gig posters, my main influence/inspiration was Coop. Other sources I drew from were EC Comics, Mad magazine, the work of Wally Wood, Universal Monster movies, Big Daddy Roth, the pin up work of Gil Elvgren, pulp of various kinds stirred with Hamms and unleashed upon the page.

With minis it depends on what I'm painting. With Reaper sculpts I search the Show Off thread and Inspiration Gallery to see what others have done with it. (which is how I wound up here actually)

Some like Stone the Undead Gunslinger, or GW Night Goblins, I'll follow the box art. With others such as the Coffee Dwarves, I'll incorporate seemingly unrelated things and make it work. (My mind is much like the old Miller commercials where slapping the tv with a beer resulted in odd yet workable combinations of things.

With Witches, Undead, and such I'm something of a traditionalist and keep things Gothic. 

Musicwise drawing was 50s rock and western swing mixed with psychobilly and bluegrass, with painting it's either 90s industrial, (KMFDM, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, etc) or 90s alternative. I wish I'd thought to record Alan Staggs' Sanctuary radio show years ago. There's a couple videos on youtube but most were DCMA'd. That was the kind of mind theater that was perfect to paint by. (or drive aimlessly for hours to.)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

If you are talking about general inspiration, then right here.  This place (and you guys!) is what inspires me.

If you are talking about specific inspiration for what colours to use on a mini, then I generally paint to the official reference art if the mini is game related.  If there isn't official reference art, then I try to find pictures that other people have posted of that mini and then copy it.

One day, I'll try to use colour theory to come up with my own colour scheme for a mini.  One day...

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A place, a show, a song?

Um, everywhere?

• Like 9

5 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Forgot to mention I also have to play music while I work. At school my instructor favors either some avant garde synth guitar stuff or old school jazz (louis armstrong, that kinda thing), but I prefer classical. I lean heavily on Amazon Music's Classical Focus station but also listen to chorale stuff like The Sixteen, solo cello like Yo Yo Ma's Bach Suite, or piano stuff like Satie. I normally like fairly fiery classical music, but when doing art I like it more relaxing so I don't tense up.

I can’t play music while I’m painting. I either find it too distracting, or I don’t notice it and come up for air to discover I’ve missed an entire Beethoven symphony or something.

I do like to listen to things while I prep, prime, or varnish, but that’s not for inspiration but because the work is dull.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

June 14: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Thanks, Cyradis! Really. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

The equivalent of the square root.....  Of Pi^3.

Then dividied by Saskatchewan, because their native army is made of gophers.

Or....  SQUIRREL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

according to Alexa: 

a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as he could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

but..

How many Lowes would Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe would rob Lowes? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

If he sees his shadow on the 2nd of February, he would chuck six more cords. Otherwise, the 20th of March.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Should answers be in metric or imperial units?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1