Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 2 and 3: Which paint in your collection do you use the most?

Bonus! Try using the opposite color this weekend/next time you paint!

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

I use lots of purples .

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Um...burnt sienna, I guess :D

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Brown and grey liner? Uhh... I use a lot of Heraldic Red, Linen White... Lots and lots of browns... 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Probably white primer and grey liner would be my two most used ones, since I don't have grey primer yet. 

• Like 5

On 6/1/2018 at 12:38 AM, Morihalda said:

June 1: What are some of your personal or funny mondegreens in film, songs, or other media?

Finally thought of one:

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it...
You play the guitar on the MTV...
That ain't workin', that's the way you do it...
Money for nothin' and checks for free..!

—Dire Straights, Money For Nuthin’

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I find that I use the bone whites and leather browns more often than not.

[Scratches head] So the opposite would be bone blacks and leather... bluish? [/Scratches head]

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

If I discount Black Primer, Brown Liner, and the Other First Layers (because that is not where the question was aiming**) then I don’t know

**I think the question is not about the logistics of the painter’s paint rack. Because the obvious answer there would be about what bottles need replacing most often, due to being depleted by expending the most drops of paint. Obviously, that will wind-up being Liners/Primers. 

I think the question is about the bright color a miniature ends up when it is finished. So in my case, I don’t know. 

I think the last last things I painted were Archers :: they got a lot of greens and browns, but there were bright blues, yellows, reds, because some had “livery”.

Before that some ships :: they got a Steampunkish metallic brass effect. 

My Warlord Reven Army :: Black Faux Acid Wash that I think consisted of Black Ink, Brown Liner, and Adamantine Black in equal parts.

I have made three attempts at Ghost Things at different times :: white and different greens for those. 

I did some Malvernians with Red Tunics once. 

I hardly ever do a totally Yellow mini. But I rarely do a Purple mini as well...those are each other’s opposites. 

**** The Griffin stares off into space; utterly Color Confunded ****

*** Again, not a good look ***

Edited by TGP
goofy spacing issues
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Rosy Skin and Bloodstain Red

• Like 7

On 6/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, Morihalda said:

June 1: What are some of your personal or funny mondegreens in film, songs, or other media?

A mondegreen is a mishearing of a phrase and substituting similar sounding words so the phrase makes sense. 

Thanks, pinkymadigan!

"And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me
You, you, you oughta know"

- Alanis Morissette

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Probably brown, leathery colours. I tend to gravitate towards dark earthy colours (especially for rogues and rangers). 

Going to try to make something with brighter colours this weekend. I guess blue-viloet is the opposite of light brown? If I succeed, I'll turn in the quest on Sunday. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Recently I’ve been using a lot of Red Violet, Pale Violet and Burgundy wine but that’s because I’ve been purposely trying not to reach for my greens and purples. Everything works in purple. 

Edited by TheMandolin
Typo
  • Like 7

22 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

I have been using a LOT of blue (lots of Anhurian and Thalos models). 

My most recent model that I started is bright orange, you can't miss 'im.  So, success!

• Like 8

On 6/2/2018 at 12:34 AM, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

You're welcome!

The paint I've used on the most minis is 09088 Stormy Grey as an undercoat for metallic parts.  (There are a lot of parts that can be rendered as metals on BattleMechs.)

The color I think I've used on the most minis as a color itself is 09056 Templar Blue.  I have a 12 BattleMechs painted primarily in this color (2nd Donegal Guards, Lyran Alliance) and I used it on at least one Bones skeleton.  You can also see it on my WIP for 14352 Unforgiven, Crusader Grunt (which I really need to seal and pronounce done).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2018 at 10:38 PM, Morihalda said:

A mondegreen is a mishearing of a phrase and substituting similar sounding words so the phrase makes sense. 

Thanks, pinkymadigan!

Collective soul, the world I know:

"As I crouch and shove"

should be

"Has our conscience shown?"

I dunno what I thought he was shoving :rolleyes:

• Like 6

On 6/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, Morihalda said:

Thanks, pinkymadigan!

Taylor Swifty:

You say you're fine, I know you better then that.
Hey wait a minute, what'd you do to my cat?

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

Abaddon Black. I also use lots of Bone White.

Honorable mention: Mephiston Red.

• Like 6

Okay, it isn't done yet, but I think you'll get the idea...

Basically, my goal was to move away from dark leathery colours and try something new.

I chose my Wraith mini to be my test subject, painting it a blend of shiny blue and shiny purple (because ghosts ARE shiny):

20180603_195808.thumb.jpg.70198f27e4f56ebee973644c2908514c.jpg20180603_195849.thumb.jpg.e569af62a73cdc1587ca02adb4b461d0.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo quality, but I found that, without flash, the colours were too dark for the camera.

• Like 7