Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

June 4: Do you/can you display your geekiness at work? What do you have? Posters, Han Solo bobble head, figures that you have painted, etc?

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Morihalda said:

June 2 and 3: Which paint in your collection do you use the most?

Bonus! Try using the opposite color this weekend/next time you paint!

Thanks, Xiwo Xerase!

I'm not really sure.  I use multiple paint lines and the last few minis I painted weren't painted using hobby paint.  As a general color I like painting red, but I don't always use the same paints for that either.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

June 4: Do you/can you display your geekiness at work? What do you have? Posters, Han Solo bobble head, figures that you have painted, etc?

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I always take a fair-sized batch of figures away with me to paint at sea. Very glad that there are good quality plastic figures available these days, much kinder to the luggage allowance than pewter was! My fellow mariners are very tolerant of any creative hobby, but it has led to some interesting conversations with various customs authorities around the world. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

Not really working now, and the place that I will be doesn't have any geeks there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I am my rock-geekiness at work. That's why I'm there. And it is totally cool for me to bring my mineral collection to show and tell.... and put it on my students' tests. 

I had a note on my resume of "paints miniature figures in high detail" which got a comment in one of my interviews for the group I'll be joining - apparently they took it as a queue that I can do detail work, and they want to train me to do a specific type of mineral grain mounting. The adviser hasn't successfully gotten other students to do it - I'm going to try! 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

Ooooh, a  interesting one indeed. 

Uhm, first and foremost, I don't have a desk, so it's hard to do the poster thing, and work frowns upon us putting decals on our vehicles.  Something about them being company trucks owned by the company and all that.  I have considered the whole piece of paper in the window I put decals on, but I suspect that would be equally frowned upon... 

... So we all display our geekiness in various other ways, but typically by being rather talkative about it all, and our "resident LARPer" will do things like dress up for various days (Sept 19th is his favourite)... 

Me?  I just talk, since there isn't much of any other easy way to showcase it. 

Edit: does having a bunch of geek stuff shipped to the office count? :p

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A) Historically: never / Currently: Nope, can’t. 

B) Posters, yes;  Bobble Head Anyone, no; Figures, sure; Die cast Star Wars ships, yes; Castle Models, yes.. ..and there is probably some other stuff. 

But none of those things at work. :ph34r:

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I've never had a job that I can leave stuff at without it being stolen. Seriously, one time someone stole a package I had delivered here. 

So I display my geekiness with t-shirts. Currently I'm wearing my new deadpool shirt (the one with him riding a pink unicorn). My other favorites are my AD&D logo shirt, my Bob Ross shirt, and hubby's WoW alliance shirt. Husband shirts are comfy ^_^ 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

Nope. But then in factory and resturant enviroments one doesn't really have personal space. My coworkers usually learn where I stand as soon as they attempt to recruit me into the fantasy football league and I ask if I can run orcs as they have an excellent running game. Within the first week, my habits of refering to Lord of the Rings as a documentary, creating conspiracy theories concerning elves, and quoting bits of 40k lore have let the other resident nerds know that their numbers have grown. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I can,  and do to a small degree,  Malifaux voodoo doll plushie sitting on my desk,  a few model aircraft, anything i can use inn a game though isn't there,  cause I'll actually use it...

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I'm sure I could, although I'm a little worried the cleaning staff would ruin anything nice I leave on my desk.  They're not supposed to touch anything on my desk, but they clearly do.

Around my office, I have records framed.  They're supposed to be hung up the next time we have a handyman come in (I'm not supposed to hang them myself) but they've been around my office for a couple of years now.  Sample records include the soundtracks for "Tron", "Star Trek: The Motion Picture", and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", Thomas Dolby's "Golden Age of Wireless", Tom Lehrer's "That Was the Year That Was", and various albums by Tomita.  I really, really want a copy of "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds" for my wall, but my father disposed of his copy years ago and the price for used vinyl on Amazon was too much.  But apparently it was rereleased on vinyl earlier this year...

• Like 7

Now nothing, I'm retired! (That never gets old to say).  Historically I had a picture of the Space Shuttle cockpit.  Also a pictue of me with all the Star Trek captains in uniform. (They were cardboard cutouts)

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I am retired now, but when I was a working stiff, I never had a space/desk/cubicle of my own. ERGO no, I didn't have any geeky stuff on display.

I did paint miniatures for a few folks, but that was about the extent of it.

Now I have a Spook hanging by my door & a skeleton in the closet. I'm not really a geek just nuts.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

Warrant Officer in RNLAF.

Some of my coworkers know that I paint minis, I have shown some pics sometimes.

But that's it.

I can't display stuff like that or pop culture related in my office.

On the other hand I don't really mind.

This is work, fun stuff is at home.

• Like 8

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I can if I really want to, but I don't just because I get a wide range of people that come into my office. That and as a baseball nut, I have a pretty solid baseball theme going on already. I do have a couple of bobbleheads though (both baseball).

• Like 7