Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 22: Are there any content creators (videos, blogs, etc) that you follow online?

I follow Ghool's Painting Tips as he does a pretty good job (imho) of explaining things in a pretty easy fashion for newbies (which I most certainly still am) and he's pretty responsive to his videos and on Patreon.

I also use to watch Painting with Menoth John because he was just very entertaining most of the time, but unfortunately he has pretty much retired the channel.

Other than that its just more of an occasional viewing of a tutorial or similar but nothing regular.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Not really... there's a few YouTube thingys I'm subscribed to, but I don't regularly check them. Mostly I get in a mood and watch all of their content. Then I'll come back to them a while later and watch more. 

Oh boy am I familiar with that, haha! 

Along with our awesome painters that I follow out of art love, my husband loves to watch Binging with Babish and Primitive Technology, and I frequently join him to watch those.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 22: Are there any content creators (videos, blogs, etc) that you follow online?

I follow Gardens of Hecate & occasionally check out Creative Mom on YouTube.

Lately I have been haunting Pinterest for inspiration.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I watch the occasional youtube vid when I want to know how something is done or want to learn a new trick. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

For general brain engagement, Vsauce2 (the others Vsauces are fine, I just know the guy from vsauce2 from an old online forum we were on together a long time ago, so that adds to the appeal).

For weird hockey compilations, Jens95.

For music stuff, been watching Rick Beato's "What Makes This Song Great?" series, an interesting breakdown of mostly great 90s era songs (from master tracks), with music theory, riffology, and a more general appreciation/review of the song as well. 

I watch the Kings of War battle reports from MasterCrafted Gaming, usually.

I watch the occasional hobby thing as well, but nothing in particular that I follow (though there are plenty of great content creators in this arena, it's hard to follow anyone in particular because so much is retread ground at this point).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

It varies over time.  Ive got about 14 channels on the Tube of You that I subscribe to but many of them I don't really follow.  Ones that I do watch regularly are:

Overly Sarcastic Productions (mostly just the Mythology posts)

Tested (builds and shop tips)

Awe Me (Man at Arms-weapon forging)

Hot Ones (interview show while eatimg hot wings)

Web DM

Taking 20

Avengers

I watch other various videos on blacksmithing and woodworking but dont necessarily follow the channels.

The only blogs I check out are by the members here: Chris Palmer's Frostgrave battle reports and David Bradley's gaming blog.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I watch a lot of various painting videos and tutorials. And a few movie/tv related ones (Honest Trailers comes to mind) but other than that, not really.

Unless you count Critical Role. I watch that ALL the time. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I don't like to "follow" anyone, but I instead try be more tactical about what I watch.  When I want to learn something new, I track down some videos and try to walk away.  My problem is I usually end up going down some rathole and waste time that I could be hobbying. 

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Vince Venturella

Ghool's Painting Tips.

I don't necessarily "follow" them religiously, but I check the new content when I can and go to both when I need advice for painting.  

I also follow War Gamer Girl because I like her Warmachine battle-reports, they are far better than any other that I have found. Although they are less frequent as of late. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

You know my list is extreme! I'll try to hit a few highlights...mostly on youtube:

Proko - Stan Prokopenko's free content and vlog. My favorite! SO MUCH quality education. He's a silly dude and the theme music will make you crazy, but it's top notch drawing education FOR FREE.

Cesar Santos - Great inspiration and phenomenal talent. Best sketchbooks in the universe, though the raps...yeah. He has fun.

Jeff Watts - Stan's teacher. Lower content, but very inspirational talks. I watch Jeff's "How to Train to Become a Successful Working Artist" at least once a year because it rekindles the dedication every time.

Florent Farges - The French Bob Ross, so soothing to watch. For a long time he was doing regular live stream painting with chat, very relaxing and informative, as you could ask him questions while he worked. Tons of great painting instruction on his channel.

Paul Foxton - A Munsell color instructor, another very soothing channel. So much information, Paul is an absolute gold mine and I encourage you to check him out, as his color methods benefit everyone, including mini painters. He still does little popup FB livestreams now and again, as well as webinars. Fabulous guy, very knowledgable, kind and funny.

James Gurney - I think we all know James here, everyone's best Art Dad. Again, a very informative, kind and funny guy. Follow his blog, too (gurneyjourney).

Zin Lim - Charcoal portrait master, lots of time lapse work.

CroquisCafe - My go-to resource for figure drawing.

Draw Mix Paint - Mark has some decent content, but he's a bit of an odd bird and really pushes his product line as solutions for a lot of things.

I sub to a bunch more, but those are my core set and tend to update regularly and/or feature more useful content.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Tabletop Minions - Uncle Atom's perspective on the hobby is similar to my own, except that he seems to be far more successful in applying himself. :lol:

In any case, I usually look forward to his videos and I support the channel on Patreon.

2+ Tough - Doug is just... such a nice dude. He's got a real passion for introducing people to Age of Sigmar's Mortal Realms, and his videos really changed my mind on the background of the game. Also decided to support him on Patreon after realising that I'd viewed almost every video he'd produced.

Warhammer TV - Let's face it, "New GW" have a great sense of humour, and regardless of how you feel about their products or prices they're definitely engaging with their fans. The new AoS "how to play" videos are very well done, too.

• Like 7

Tabletop minions here too. Also, Layers (by bravesirdave) is a pretty good podcast for hobbying. It gets a little ramble-y sometimes but good enough to get through it.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

There are not. I am by default disinclined to click a  follow  button. 

• Like 5

Yeah, some of us just have to muddle our way back to their websites.

I rather like Charles Stross's website.

• Like 4

June 23 and 24: What is a mini technique or style you would like to learn? Will you be able to find time to try it this weekend?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1